Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:28 AM

291 posts, read 1,113,843 times

Advertisements

You're the best, PSL!! Thanks for all the good advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2006, 10:44 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer
Homeowner's insurance is a little tougher to analyse.mod cut
Thanks for the detailed post!

Last edited by Yac; 07-26-2006 at 01:55 PM..

Old 07-26-2006, 10:54 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,271 times
Thanks. For me, it comes naturally. My insurance agent also happens to be my best friend. Our wives are up in Tennessee this week at a quilting class. He and I will be driving up there on Friday to join them. We'll probably talk about insurance for the entire 12 hour drive. I learn a lot that way.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:13 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,676 times
"add an insurance contingency..."

Hmmm....fascinating. I like that.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:48 PM

421 posts, read 469,072 times
Default Psl

One scary thing here is there is a shortage of nurses as the pay is terrible.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,470 times
Default A different view...

This is a different view coming from someone who moved here a year ago...
When my husband and I got married in Jan 2005, we wanted to move away from KC and the snow. We are contractors and worked a 3 week job in Deerfield Beach in Dec 2004. We fell in love with the area so we decided to look into it. A friend of mine in KC had moved from West Palm Beach and so I asked him for some help in looking. His father is a real estate agent in WPB so we contacted him and he showed us around a little. We too realized that the area was over-priced and looked north. He told us about PSL and we liked what we heard. In April we took a 2 week vacation and checked out the area and houses. In June we bought our first home in Port Saint Lucie. I have 2 boys, 10 & 14, who stay with us over the summer. They started taking Karate as a way to meet people. They have since developed some good friendships and love being here! My husband and I work out of town so we have to fly out of/into WPB every weekend; it's an easy 45 minute drive to the airport. If there is anything we want that we can't find in PSL/Stuart/Jensen Beach, it's just a quick 40-50 minutes to WPB and you can find anything there. The nightlife I hear is good, although we don't go out much. There are an abundance of restaurants and and shopping. With 3 Walmarts and a new Sam's Club going up, as well as Target, Lowe's, Home Depot, Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, what else do you need? The average home prices when we started looking were about $250,000 - $300,000 for a 3/4 br, 2ba home, a lot of which have a pool/spa.
I've been here a little over a year now and I love it just as much as when we moved here. My only complaint is that I don't get to spend enough time at home with my job, but I love it when I do get to come home. It's like having all of the convenience of big city life, but in a small town peaceful atmosphere.
Some of the locals give "transplants" a little slack, but it's all in fun and the people are very friendly, welcoming and make you feel at home.
All in all, I'd say it was the best move I've made in my 35 years.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:39 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,900 times
This has been a long discussion, so I'll try to keep my two cents short and to the point. My husband and I moved to Port St. Lucie last year (St. Lucie West to be exact, which is alot of gated communities. I am not saying they're good or bad, just a lot of them). We do like the area alot because it's a pretty small feeling town with alot near by for convenience. It does get pretty busy in the winter when the snow birds are here, but you just accept it and plan accordingly (we have found the ways around the busy roads during busy traffic times) We live in a gated community which we like only because we can leave our house for vacation or a long trip back home and not have to worry about the house/lawn because the outside is fully maintained by companies which get paid through our HOA dues. I feel very safe in PSL. We have never had any problems that I am aware of in our community or very near by. There are quite a few kids in the area too, but they seem to be pretty respectful well mannered kids.

We have Home Depot, Sears, Wal-mart, various supermarkets as well as lots of little shops and restaurants. We decided on this area for a few reasons....it's a really pretty town and very well maintained, there's alot near home so if you need something, it's only a couple minute drive to get it, and it was a ton cheaper than west palm. We have a 3/2 house just under 2,100 sq. ft. that I am absolutely in love with and we would not have been able to afford anything near this nice in WPB. I currently work in Jupiter which is about 40 minutes south by either the turnpike or 95 (both of which have really convenient access from PSL) I work for a vet, and there are plenty in PSL and the surrounding area, but I am really choosey about the facilities I will work at for many reasons, and was really impressed by where I am at, so it's worth the drive.

That being said, our house is for sale and it has nothing to do with hurricanes (we did get hit by wilma last year, but the loss of about a dozen cement roof tiles was the extent of our damage), and it's not even the congestion etc. that people complain about, but we just really don't like Florida and we miss home, so we're going to go back. The lot sizes around here are alot smaller than what we're used to up north and we kind of miss having our own space and privacy. But to give you an idea of cost, we are asking about $325,000 plus a couple of incentives for the buyer and our community has 2 pools, a clubhouse, a workout room, and like I said, the lawncare and everything is taken care of. Now, before anyone accuses me of trying to sell you my house, I am not, but I thought it would be good information to give you an idea of what our specific area is like and the cost of houses in it (we are very competetively prices compared to the others listed in our community) and of course, there is a ton of stuff for sale, so you would definitely be able to make anyone an offer and they may take it. We have neighbors who have been up for sale for nearly a year, and have now lowered their price and I think would take just about anything within reason....so if you decide to move, you definitely have the upper hand in this buyers market because there's a LOT for sale and nobody's really buying yet. I will also agree with what alot of people have already said that between insurance and housing costs, it's not cheap, but we are dealing with it because we kind of planned for it when we moved, so just know what you're getting into before you buy and shop around for insurance and see what you can get, it won't be cheap no matter where you look, but there are still some that are cheaper than others.

Well so much for keeping it short Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:56 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,769 times
Default rainbow

how low is "low?" for rn pay???

Old 08-09-2006, 08:37 PM

150 posts, read 706,385 times
I've been following this thread as I am thinking of moving to the area.I notice a lot of houses up there are frame/stucco.Is that a concern?Here in S.Fla not only are the hurricanes a factor but termites as well.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:36 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,271 times
Personally, I like frame houses, and I live in a CBS/stucco house, but I don't like frame/stucco. It has nothing to do with hurricanes or termites. It's because I personally don't think incompatible materials mix well on a house. A frame house is flexible to a certain extent; it will "breath" and bend when hit with forces. Stucco is a cementious product that doesn't bend at all; it cracks and breaks when flexed. Here comes a rare negative comment from me: they can use all the wire reinforcement, etc. they want, and I will remain convinced that stucco over frame will eventually crack.

There are a lot of claims that one should live in a concrete house (CBS = Concrete Block Stucco) to resist hurricanes. I perosnally think that's a lot of hooey. During Hurricane Andrew in 1992 in Homestead, which is the only recent storm in which houses were actually knocked down, there were CBS house that were destroyed while wood frame houses were spared, and vice versa. If the storm is strong enough to knock down a house, it will knock it down regardless of what is used in the construction. Even the "hurricane proof" concrete dome houses are vulnerable if there was a freak storm with winds/tornadoes over 200 MPH.

The hurricane categories are rated by the amount of potential destruction they will cause. Here they are:
Category One Hurricane:
Winds 74-95 mph (64-82 kt or 119-153 km/hr). Storm surge generally 4-5 ft above normal. No real damage to building structures. Damage primarily to unanchored mobile homes, shrubbery, and trees.
Category Two Hurricane:
Winds 96-110 mph (83-95 kt or 154-177 km/hr). Storm surge generally 6-8 feet above normal. Some roofing material, door, and window damage of buildings. Considerable damage to shrubbery and trees with some trees blown down. Considerable damage to mobile homes, poorly constructed signs, and piers.
Category Three Hurricane:
Winds 111-130 mph (96-113 kt or 178-209 km/hr). Storm surge generally 9-12 ft above normal. Some structural damage to small residences and utility buildings with a minor amount of curtainwall failures. Damage to shrubbery and trees with foliage blown off trees and large trees blown down. Mobile homes and poorly constructed signs are destroyed.
Category Four Hurricane:
Winds 131-155 mph (114-135 kt or 210-249 km/hr). Storm surge generally 13-18 ft above normal. More extensive curtainwall failures with some complete roof structure failures on small residences. Shrubs, trees, and all signs are blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Extensive damage to doors and windows.
Category Five Hurricane:
Winds greater than 155 mph (135 kt or 249 km/hr). Storm surge generally greater than 18 ft above normal. Complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings. Some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away. All shrubs, trees, and signs blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Severe and extensive window and door damage.

So, you see, even in a Category 5 hurricane (the worst) they contemplate only "some complete building failures". I guarantee you those will be the most poorly constructed buildings, rarely a residence. I saw one "complete building failure" of a poorly built commercial metal building in the 3 major hurricanes to hit our area in the last 2 years. Mobile homes are another story, of course, by Category 3, they expect them to be destroyed.

Under Florida's building codes, even before they were extensively revised a few years ago, all residences are protected and inspected for hurricane protection, such as using metal straps at all critical junctions. Of course, every once in a long while a contractor skimps and the inspector misses it, so there are occasional failures. Almost any house you buy in Florida today will bave experienced 2 to 4 hurricanes in the last 2 years, have been repaired better than before the storms, and be better prepared to meet the next storm.

As for termites, a concrete house can get them, also. The interior studs are usually wood. I owned a rental house many years ago with a concrete block exterior and metal studs in the walls; termites got to the roof trusses. We found them before there was major damage, had the foundation re-treated and had no more problems.

By the way, the new house I'm having designed will be wood frame on 2"x6" studs with a Hardiplank exterior and a metal roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach