Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 11:58 AM

150 posts, read 706,537 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the great info.I'm on here 2-3 times a day trying to gather as much info. as possible.This is a big decision for us.You're knowledge has been very helpful.Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2006, 09:56 PM

421 posts, read 469,264 times
Default Psl

Sassy, i agree...when researching PSL..we decided on east of rt1 as it was so close to the beach and so convien to everything there is possible. We are smack in the middle of a wild life preserve. There is a huge park with a huge lake and hiking trails and horse trails and picnic tables with habchis and a bathroom...it is so beautiful. Just 2 mins from the beautiful Indian River and just 10 mins from the ocean. It was so affordable too. Lots we btwn 2,000 and 10,000 just 5 yrs ago, now they're 100,000. To build was under 100,000 now it's doubled.

Old 11-11-2006, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,634 times
Having grown up in PSL, I can say a few things about the city and surrounding areas. Port St. Lucie is a booming town that in my opinion is getting worse. Crime is going up due to the tremendous expansion of the city. When I grew up in PSL, there was plenty of land and the neighborhoods were quiet and nice. Now when I go back, my family says it's just not the same anymore. As far as Fort Pierce to the north goes, it's a mess. Having gone to school with kids from FP you truly see what life is really like there. Some areas of FP are nice, typically west towards White City, but the areas around Avenue D and 13th street are terrible. In particular, Avenue D may be more dangerous, in my opinion, than certain inner cities. I live in Philadelphia and I still look at Avenue D as the roughest neighborhood I've been to. But if you want to talk about Port St. Lucie, you have to understand that housing prices are much higher than they used to be, and demand is very high in a generally nice community.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:06 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,360 times
I guess I don't get it. You live in Philadelphia and are basing your opinions on your perception of the city years ago. You say crime is going up, yet PSL has been named the 1st or 2nd safest city in Florida for the past 7 years. You say there was plenty of land, but you fail to say all of that land was divided into 1/4 acre lots and owned by thousands of individuals all over the world. Did you think they would never want to move to their property?

Then, you devote most of your vitriol to running down Fort Pierce, which has nothing to do with the topic, which is Port St. Lucie. And, even there, you exaggerate -- Avenue D worse than some areas of Philadelphia? You must be terribly insulated up there to not have seen the big city ghettos. You probably have also not seen Avenue D since it was totally rebuilt, landscaped and cleaned up. Fort Pierce is NOT the city you remember, if it ever was.

So, I'm wondering why you drag out a thread that has been dead since August, only to post completely inaccurate and exaggerated claims about an area you vaguely remember before you moved to the wonderful, nice, quiet, safe, metropolis of Philadelphia?

Old 11-15-2006, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,634 times
Hello everyone, I have been reading the comments posted and i have to thank you all for the information regarding PORT SAINT LUCIE, my wife and i are going to relocate there by this time next year..again thanks

Old 11-27-2006, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,631 times
Default Psl

ex Bucks County Lawyer moved to PSL in July. Wonderful place. Talk to some natives once in awhile who do lament how fast the area has grown, but it's nothing like parts of Philly. Parts of it remind me of Lower Bucks and there are some areas that are not as nice as others - try to find anywhere that is not true. Even where I moved from in Upper Bucks, where we lived on 3 acres in a log home in a resource protected area - the building was starting and the farmers were going to the township for variances/exceptions to subdivide and sell. I just wish we had waited a couple months - to like now, because we bought at the top of the market. Only saving grace was we sold at the top of the market in PA because of all the building going on.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:41 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPSLres View Post
ex Bucks County Lawyer moved to PSL in July. Wonderful place. Talk to some natives once in awhile who do lament how fast the area has grown, but it's nothing like parts of Philly. Parts of it remind me of Lower Bucks and there are some areas that are not as nice as others - try to find anywhere that is not true. Even where I moved from in Upper Bucks, where we lived on 3 acres in a log home in a resource protected area - the building was starting and the farmers were going to the township for variances/exceptions to subdivide and sell. I just wish we had waited a couple months - to like now, because we bought at the top of the market. Only saving grace was we sold at the top of the market in PA because of all the building going on.
Where in Bucks County? We lived in Sellersville and Perkasie. My sister-in-law had a log home in Coopersburg before moving to AZ. Everytime we visit (husband's family still there) we notice more and more building.
Glad you like PSL. We used to work down that way and we worked with some of the nicest people you could ever meet. Welcome to Florida.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:15 PM

265 posts, read 904,989 times
I have lived in St. Lucie County since 1971 and am jumping in (again).

First: PSL Oldtimer. Thank you for defending Ft. Pierce. You know how upset I get when the uninformed trash that city. And by the way, White City is south of Ft. Pierce, not west - get a map philly boy.

Second: Once again, thanks Oldtimer for defending frame houses with regard to hurricanes. I live in an 18 year old frame house with cedar, reverse board and batten siding. The house has withstood all 3 past hurricanes without so much as a sneeze. The frame house flexes with the wind and therefore is more stable. It is so frustrating for me to hear people say that frame houses are "Popsicle sticks", "house of cards", etc. Those people are just plain uneducated on the subject.

Third: If you want to retain and grow your housing investment, like suburban city life, don't mine some traffic congestion and growing pains, welcome.

And no PSLoldt., I am not changing my tune, just not getting so knit picky now that election time has passed

Old 12-04-2006, 04:29 PM

12 posts, read 23,948 times
Default Moving to PSL in the Summer

Hi Everyone,
I know I've missed the thread but I just wanted everyone to know that after reading, I am convinced that I am making the right decision in moving to PSL. I was concerned about the taxes etc, but it doesn't seem as exorbitant as I thought. I was thinking like $10G's a year!
My only concern now is work. I am in the insurance industry and I'm thinking I may have to work in WPB as I hear there are a lot of Ins. Companies and broker's offices there. It it common for PSL residents to travel to WPB for work?
I know moving from such a big and busy city like NY will be a culture shock but I'm ready.
This is the best source of information I've found to date and I've been researching for a year!
Thanks again to everyone. Even the negative comments don't sway me because the complaints are minor coming where I come from.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:38 PM

389 posts, read 3,539,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYork View Post
Hi Everyone,
I know I've missed the thread but I just wanted everyone to know that after reading, I am convinced that I am making the right decision in moving to PSL. I was concerned about the taxes etc, but it doesn't seem as exorbitant as I thought. I was thinking like $10G's a year!
My only concern now is work. I am in the insurance industry and I'm thinking I may have to work in WPB as I hear there are a lot of Ins. Companies and broker's offices there. It it common for PSL residents to travel to WPB for work?
I know moving from such a big and busy city like NY will be a culture shock but I'm ready.
This is the best source of information I've found to date and I've been researching for a year!
Thanks again to everyone. Even the negative comments don't sway me because the complaints are minor coming where I come from.
We haven't found the taxes here to be any worse than what we paid in Wisconsin. The thing that caught us off gaurd is the cost of home owners insurance, but we're dealing. I know quite a few people in our neighborhood commute to West Palm, and my husband works out of both West Palm and Lauderdale. It's really not that bad. I work in Jupiter just north of West Palm and the drive doesn't bother me at all, but once you hit PGA Blvd, the traffic does get quite a bit busier. PSL is pretty, I think, but it is definitely growing more each day, and it's just not for us, but I think most people here really like it, and it's alot more affordable than anything further south and, as busy as it's getting, it's still not as bad as further south either.

Good luck, I hope you are happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach