Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 11:12 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,583 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of people moving into Port St. Lucie. Sellers reduced their prices for a while, but are beginning to dig in their heels, saying, "Enough is enough." Of course, there are still folks who are desperate to sell for whatever reason who may take any offer, but I hear it's getting harder to find them. My real estate friends tell me that prices are stabilizing and inventory is beginning to move.

However, all that is concerning the resale market, which is what my friends specialize in. They aren't involved in new unit sales, which are usually handled by staff salespeople. So, I have no idea what incentives may be being offered.

Tradition offers a lot, but with a price commensurate. The folks I know who live there are very happy. However, in my case, I don't handle structure and rules very well, and I prefer to live in one of the tens of thousands of single family homes in the balance of PSL. The house I'm in right now was constructed in 1979 and is somewhat dated -- it has 8', flat ceilings with popcorn finish, and the bathrooms are a little smaller than those offered today -- but it serves my needs extremely well, survived the hurricanes with onlyminor damage, and was priced considerably less than the equivalent square feet in Tradition or other development.

The two daughters of my best friend each recently bought a unit in Tradition to serve as investment rentals. Their Mother is a real estate broker. I think she would have advised against the purchase if she thought this was not a good time to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 08:16 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
I hate what the speculators did to Port St. Lucie neighborhoods. My mother's neighborhood off of California Blvd. and Del Rio used to be fairly well "wooded" with large tracks of trees and vacant lots. About two years ago cookie cutter, personality-less houses started popping up like mushrooms, and now the area is overcrowded in my opinion. Oh well.

She did well though, buying her 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage home on a quarter acre lot for $62k!!! It's worth at LEAST double that now, so no matter what the market does, she'll come out on top eventually. If she were to try to buy in PSL today, she wouldn't be able to afford a home though!

Nonetheless, Port St. Lucie is a good alternative to high prices and high crime areas to the South. It's a HUGE city, but basically all of it is single family, quarter acre residential lots. A place where you can own your own little piece of land and a much nicer house still for the price.

Traffic can be an awful pain, but hopefully when the West Virginia corridor is opened, there will be some major pressure relieved on St, Lucie West Blvd. and Port St. Lucie Blvd. Also, if commercial developers would think about developing ELSEWHERE in the city BESIDES St. Lucie West, people wouldn't have to drive so damn far to get to restaurants and shops!

Old 01-16-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
...if commercial developers would think about developing ELSEWHERE in the city BESIDES St. Lucie West, people wouldn't have to drive so damn far to get to restaurants and shops!
The problem is that the original developer, General Development Company (long since bankrupt; a long story) had a vision of a different type of community. Rather than start with a downtown area, the placed all the residential lots in the center of the city and envisioned all the commercial around the edges. They did set aside some very small commercial tracts here and there among the residential lots, with the idea that they would be neighborhood centers with perhaps a convenience store, beauty and barber shop, small drig store (typical of those in the '60's, when this was platted), etc. An example of one of those small centers would be at the intersection of California and Del Rio; another at the foot of St. James and Airoso. you can probably think of others.

At the time of the intial development, all of that commercial was along US Hwy 1. St. Lucie West was not a part of the initial development; it was only annexed into the city around 17 years ago, give or take a year. The developers of St. Lucie West envisioned they could create the downtown are the city was lacking, and planned all the commercial development with that in mind.

Now, the developers who now own St. Lucie West are also behind Tradition and are creating a commercial center out there in the West, while the city is concentrating their efforts on a so-called downtown along US 1, in the urban redevelopment area called City Center. Of course, it's not in the center. City Hall is in the approximate center, but there is no room for serious commerical development there.

The only way the city can gain more commercial development in areas closer to the majority of residents would be to change the zoning of many blocks from residential. That's been done before, but it was long before most lots had been improved with houses, and back in the days when a lot could be purchased for $3,000. The Winn Dixie shopping center at the corner of Bayshore and PSL Blvd was originally about 4 blocks of residential lots; a developer purchased all the lots and convinced the city to abondon the streets. Also, the entire heavy commercial corridor along Bayshore Blvd was orginally residential lots; you can still see an occasional house among the warehouses. But, those areas could not be duplicated today because so many houses have been constructed and the cost of the lots has mushroomed so high.

It's hard to believe today, but all of Port St. Lucie Blvd was once a residential street, with houses lining a 2-lane road, and no traffic lights. Prima Vista was 2 lanes also, in those days.

Quote:
I hate what the speculators did to Port St. Lucie neighborhoods. My mother's neighborhood off of California Blvd. and Del Rio used to be fairly well "wooded" with large tracks of trees and vacant lots. About two years ago cookie cutter, personality-less houses started popping up like mushrooms, and now the area is overcrowded in my opinion. Oh well.
There's a bit of history involved there, too, that can help explain. There never were large tracts of land in that area or anywhere else in PSL; those lots have been owned by someone since the early days, even before the roads were built. They were always intended to havea house on every lot. For years, supply was much greater than demand, and many lots remained empty. Somne folks actually did live their retirement dream and come down and build on a random lot here and there; that's why development is so sprawled. However, when demand started to increase dramatically, and lot prices climbed above 100,000, people were more than willing to sell to the contractors.

Contractors have always built houses "on spec" (speculation) in PSL, but again, when demand was low, you didn't notice as much. When people started to discover PSL and demand became frantic, houses started to spring up. They tend to look like cookie cutter houses because of the confines of the property. Every house has to be no more than 60' wide, have the garage in front, and sit back 25' from the front lot line. That tends to restrict variety. Also, people have tried unusual houses (mostly along the C24 canal), and none have been popular. Contractors build what people want.

Thanks for your support of PSL; you certainly seem much more educated about the area than most. None of my comments above should be construed as any criticism of your comments; I just thought that given your knowledge, you might find some of the history interesting.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:02 AM

203 posts, read 310,715 times
Default Port St. Lucie

We are thinking about moving down from the north to the Port St. Lucie area. I have seen many of the new housing communities in the area via online and think the area looks really beautiful. Is it a nice area for young families?

Can anyone tell me, where do people go for work? Are there any office complexes in the immediate area for a professional/managerial type of positions? Also, how is the weather? Is it as humid as Orlando, rain a lot? Do you worry about hurricanes often? How about local attractions, beaches, what are they and what are they like? Is it "in the middle of nowhere"? It seems to me that there is a lot of building going on as far as real estate and commercial goes?

I am just full of questions, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help!

Old 01-17-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelma123 View Post
We are thinking about moving down from the north to the Port St. Lucie area. I have seen many of the new housing communities in the area via online and think the area looks really beautiful. Is it a nice area for young families?
One of the ironies about PSL is that it was begun as a retirement community. When Imoved here in 1972, there were 24 families with children in a community with a popluation of over 5,000. Today, the population is 160,000 and growing, and I haven't seen a 3-wheel bicycle for 20 years. There real irony is that I'm now retired, myself, and I'm moving to Okeechobee for retirement. There are kids everywhere.

Quote:
Can anyone tell me, where do people go for work? Are there any office complexes in the immediate area for a professional/managerial type of positions?
Yes and no. A lot more than there used to be; not as much as there will be. There are few major companies like those circling Boston on Rt. 128, but there are plenty of jobs. The classified pages are full of positions. However, as many have pointed out on this forum, salaries are not as high as they are in many other areas. In Florida, you get part of your salary in sunshine. Which leads us to...

Quote:
...how is the weather? Is it as humid as Orlando, rain a lot? Do you worry about hurricanes often?
there is always sunshine in Florida, although sometimes it is liquid sunshine. It is humid; Port St. Lucie is further south, more tropical, and probably more humid than Orlando. On the other hand, it gets too cold in Orlando -- I would never live that far north. Hurricanes? Port St. Lucie went over 50 years without a hurricane, then had 3 in 2 years. In 2004, Frances and Jeanne passed directly over the city. In 2005, Wilma hit harder than either of the previous two. However, there was no major damage, no houses destroyed, no deaths or injuries in Port St. Lucie, and the worst part of it was lack of electricity for a couple of weeks. Almost everyione has a generator, now. Many roofs lost their shingles, and a few roofs leaked in and ruined drywall ceilings. Most people stayed in their houses. We sat on our sheltered porch and watched it. The bottom line is, there is always a possibility of hurricanes, but we don't worry about them. We prepare, but we don't worry. There were no hurricanes in 206, and there probably will not be a repeat of '04/'05 for another 50 years -- but, who knows? Where are you from? Do you worry about the weather there?

Quote:
How about local attractions, beaches, what are they and what are they like? Is it "in the middle of nowhere"? It seems to me that there is a lot of building going on as far as real estate and commercial goes?
With a lnad area of 115 square miles (the second largest in Florida) and a population of over 160,000 and growing, it is it's own "somewhere" and isn't exactly in the middle of anything. On the other hand, major cultural centers like a performing arts center are not here yet; one has to travel about an hour to West Palm Beach for opera, ballet, symphonies, etc. (although there is a local Treasure Coast Opera Society in Fort Pierce which puts on 3 professional operas each year).

There is no direct route to the beaches; one travels north to Fort Pierce or south to Jensen Beach and Stuart to get to the ocean. Either direction is about 10 to 15 miles from most of PSL. There is talk about someday constructing a bridge across the Indian River Lagoon so PSL has a direct route to the beaches, but there are serious environmental concerns.

While there are upscale areas, PSL is defintely a middle class community. I don't know how many cities have 3 Super Walmarts and 2 Sam's Clubs (but no Costco, yet).

Real estate prices shot up between 2 and 3 years ago, after 25 years of being stagnant. They went up too quickly and there has been a correction; however prices are not anywhere near as low as they were 3 years ago, and probably won't be. My real estate friends tell me that prices are stabililing and sales are rising again. PSL is primarily a bedroom community of 3/2/2 houses, although there are an increasing number of apartments. There are relatively few condos; even the few condo associations are town houses or zero lot line single family houses, not multi-story buildings. That changes out on the beach, but that's not in PSL.

Hope that helps. Ask away. I've lived here almost 35 years and have seen all the changes; I've lived here more than half of my life and would not have wanted to live anywhere else. The only reason we're retiring to Okeechobee is because (1) our grandchildren are out there; and (2) we bought 5 acres and I love to play on the property with my diesel tractor and mini-excavator.

I am just full of questions, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help![/quote]

Old 01-17-2007, 10:05 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
When we came down here to house hunt, we spent our first week in PSL then got out of there as fast as we could. It was one big traffic jam and long waits for mediocre restaurants. Course it was at the beginning of the Mets season so maybe it's not so bad the rest of the year. I've been in Vero Beach for two years now and I've never been back to the St. Lucie area. I can get everything I need elsewhere without going through that madness.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:51 AM

203 posts, read 310,715 times
Thanks so much psloldtimer. We live in the DC metropolitan area so we are certainly used to traffic (takes about an hour to go 8 miles) and we are certainly used to high priced homes as well (single family 4 bdrm homes go for $500-600k). Do you think the new home prices in PSL will skyrocket eventually like they did in recent years down in So. Florida and even the Orlando area?

We are definitely looking for a change and better quality of life for our children. My husband's parents live in So. Florida and told us about the Pt. St. Lucie are, as we think So. Florida is too congested, commercial and not really our scene.

I ask about the weather because I am concerned if it is too hot the children will never want to play outside, especially in the summer months. I am afraid I will be chasing them with a bottle of suntan lotion every minute we leave the house. Of course, here they can't play outdoors in the winter months, so I suppose it all evens out.

From what I have read, it seems like PSL is booming with large new home developments. What about conveniences, like shops, etc? Seems like West Palm Beach is a bit far to travel for those sort of things.

Are the beaches near PSL quieter beaches or more geared toward the tourist population?

Thanks so much for all your info, it is very helpful!

Old 01-17-2007, 08:36 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,778 times
For people familiar with the area, are there any areas we should avoid? Or which area is nice and not gated. Nice means beautiful landscape, nice houses and a nice size lot. A zip code will be nice so I can check the price range on realtor.com. Thank you a lot. We will go to see some houses in tradition this weekend.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:40 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
For people familiar with the area, are there any areas we should avoid? Or which area is nice and not gated. Nice means beautiful landscape, nice houses and a nice size lot. A zip code will be nice so I can check the price range on realtor.com. Thank you a lot. We will go to see some houses in tradition this weekend.
There really isn't a "ghetto" in Port St. Lucie or anything. There is an older part of town in the center of town that I would never live in just because I don't like the style of house in that area... and it seems to attract a more transient, lower-income crowd these days.

You can try Tradition, or check out the Southbend neighborhood, which is close to the turnpike and I THINK that neighborhood now has access to Stuart via Becker Rd.

It depends on how much money you have, really. St. Lucie West has a lot of nice neighborhoods. As does the St. James area, but that is a bit too close to Fort Pierce for my liking.

Get a realtor and tell em what you're looking for. There really isn't anything you can tell by searching by zipcode!!

Old 01-18-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
For people familiar with the area, are there any areas we should avoid? Or which area is nice and not gated. Nice means beautiful landscape, nice houses and a nice size lot.
There are few, or none, "areas" within Port St. Lucie. There are a couple of newer developments on the fringe of the city, like Tradition and St. Lucie West, but they tend to be more expensive for single family, or have gated communities, etc.

The vast bulk of the city, over 70,000 lots, is all the same. Lots are 10,000 square feet (80' x 125') except on corners or a few curves, but never go much beyond 125' x 125'. Houses are sized to fit within the setback lines, no more than 60' wide, and usually no more than 40' deep, usually much less -- around 1800 to 2200 square feet is predominant. Older houses may be as small as 900 square feet. Large houses and small houses will be mixed in the same neighborhood. Landscaping is an individual decision; one house can be gorgeous and the house next door might be bare. There are no racial, religious or ethnic areas and virtually no ghetto; the city is completely integrated.

All of the city is equally safe; the police department is accredited (most are not), they practice community policing, and the city has been named the safest in Florida for its size so many years I forget how long.

The older area the Other Poster recommended avoiding is actually outside the city limits in an original area called River Park; you'll recognize it as soon as you see it, because the houses go back to the beginning of the community, and are 2 bedroom, 1 bath with a carport. That's from when PSL was priimarily a retirement community.

In fact, that's one of the few legitimate complaints about the city -- the very sameness of it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach