Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2007, 12:08 PM

566 posts, read 2,058,784 times

Advertisements

I visited PSL on my way down from my last galavanting trip..didn't stay long, only 1 whole day... whew! has it changed! I'm certainly a tourist like anybody else.
Anyhow, I couldn't really describe PSL & that's why I hadn't written before. Though, what prompted me to reply now is what you said, "the very sameness of it all", which describes it perfectly. People down here would ask me, well...how's PSL?? and I'd say, "gee, I don't know..can't describe it" and they'd say, "what do you mean you can't, is it that you don't like it??" and I'd respond, "nooo...it's not that either," but now thanks to you I think I can, well...maybe. I think I was tongue tied cause it's a different feeling for me - different than what I'm used to down here. There is no one different neighborhood from another like we have. Newer, slightly older, smaller or bigger homes were all together. It's like a big neighborhood & no ghetto's like you said, too - everyone lives alongside each other.
I would have never imagined it would have so many stores or even that nice mall... It does have everything one needs. The mall is beautiful with all sorts of nice stores...also saw many smaller malls , gas stations, grocery stores, etc., etc.
On our way down, can't remember the name of the hotel where we stayed at, but it was the 1st one on the left ,on your main Rd., heading South. Really nice...they gave us a really nice suite w/cherry wood furniture.
The next morning, we headed further down South to the forest area, next to the water (went thru the narrow bridge) to see all the homes next to the water & then after that we headed home towards Miami. Well, I'm not adding anything here...nothing you don't know - just taking up space & talking I guess.

Last edited by lulu; 01-18-2007 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 8,861 times
We are from kansas city looking to move to PSL....we are 28-25 starting a fam....? is are theyre people in PSL that fit the young professional description....like aged mid twenties early 30's....

Old 01-23-2007, 08:47 AM

203 posts, read 310,715 times
Default more info?

Do you think the new home prices in PSL will skyrocket eventually like they did in recent years down in So. Florida and even the Orlando area?

We are definitely looking for a change and better quality of life for our children. My husband's parents live in So. Florida and told us about the Pt. St. Lucie are, as we think So. Florida is too congested, commercial and not really our scene.

I ask about the weather because I am concerned if it is too hot the children will never want to play outside, especially in the summer months. I am afraid I will be chasing them with a bottle of suntan lotion every minute we leave the house. Of course, here they can't play outdoors in the winter months, so I suppose it all evens out.

From what I have read, it seems like PSL is booming with large new home developments. What about conveniences, like shops, etc? Seems like West Palm Beach is a bit far to travel for those sort of things.

Are the beaches near PSL quieter beaches or more geared toward the tourist population?

Thanks so much for all your info, it is very helpful!

Old 01-25-2007, 09:39 PM

5 posts, read 33,216 times
Default Its time to mmove to PSL!!

I just got back from PSL on Tuesday -going from sunny 80 degrees to fridgid winter in NY. I must be nuts.

anyway, In response to the posts here on City-data, I feel that PSL is a great place to live and buy; I am from NY and am selling 2 houses in PSL that would be over a million dollars each on Long Island!

I really like the Becker road area, which will be getting turnpike and I-95 Exits soon, and then will be a boomtown (the city lists it as the "Becker Road Development area"). The school system has this area in the "Red Zone" - Limited class size and minimal busing; Lots of good things to come.

Feel free to take a look at my website, Moderator cut: URL removed (only my 2 houses are on it) and check out the links to Port St. Lucie.

Two of the people who came to the open house we held last Sunday were both renting houses, and feel that home prices are rising, so its time to buy. they don't want to be stuck with a low lease when home prices climb out of sight.

I wish I was still there in the 80 degree days!!

best of luck to you all,

Alan (pining for PSL from the frozen north)

PS - Homeowners insurance is being cut by 20% by the state. its in all the papers!

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 01-26-2007 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: No advertising allowed

Old 01-26-2007, 07:33 AM

94 posts, read 418,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by powman View Post
Feel free to take a look at my website, Moderator cut: URL removed (only my 2 houses are on it) and check out the links to Port St. Lucie.

Two of the people who came to the open house we held last Sunday were both renting houses, and feel that home prices are rising, so its time to buy. they don't want to be stuck with a low lease when home prices climb out of sight.
Home prices are NOT increasing according to latest sales reports published by Realtor Associations, they are going south, especially in FL, so let's clarify that. But people know that already.

Probably you have not followed the sales report lately that's all.

"A total of 12,415 existing single-family homes sold statewide last month, a decrease of 28 percent from the 17,215 homes sold during the previous December, according to the Florida Association of RealtorsĀ® (FAR). The statewide existing-home median price was $241,100 last month; a year ago, it was $245,600 for a decrease of 2 percent, according to FAR"

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 01-26-2007 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: Advertising from previous post

Old 01-26-2007, 09:04 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,778 times
Default My experience

I agree with Josephhawkinson. I don't know the future of the housing market in PSL. Now, I know from my experience in Tradition. The price has delined over 25% from a year ago.

Whether it is time to buy, it is all individual decision. We just entered into a contract to buy a house in Tradition. We like Tradition and the house. The same house wasn't affordable for us 1 yr ago. Now with 30% decrease in price, we bought it. We have entered the contract with my husband's employer for 5 years with possiblity of an additional 10 years. If hurricans will not completely destroy PSL, we will be here for a long time. In addition, our closing cost will be paid as a part of relocation package.

If you don't plan to stay for a long haul and put 20% down to give yourself some cushion, I will suggest you to stay out of the market.
By the way, I moved from an expensive area. So the house in my view is our dream come true !! English is not my first language so if you confused about what I mean, drop me an email. Thank you all for your help.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:57 AM

232 posts, read 886,695 times
I hate to dredge up an old post but on several occasions it was mentioned about the nursing shortage and low wages and someone asked how low the wages are for nurses...Nobody seemed to respond as a nurse looking to relocate what kind of wages are we looking at??? Does anyone know? I would think if there is such a shortage the medical centers would be offering incentives and better wages

Old 02-04-2007, 06:33 PM

265 posts, read 904,827 times
I live in St. Lucie and it is a buyers market for housing right now - very abrupt change from last year. I have friends in the nursing industry and they are not complaining about the wages. They are complaining about being understaffed. Give it a try. From PSL there are 3 large hospitals in easy driving distance.

I have one friend that works in the Okeechobee hospital and makes more than she can in St. Lucie, she says they are very understaffed. Okee is a small town and they must have a hard time attracting nurses. Don't know why, I love it over there

Also, in PSL, there is a doc's office everywhere you turn.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:55 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,488 times
hi, just wanted to know if anyone from long island has moved to PSL and how do they like it,to me it looks beautiful?

Old 02-04-2007, 09:34 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,583 times
I Agree with J.R., I can't see how nurse's wages could be low. The demand is very high, the number of opportunities is staggering. My DW is a physical therapist who does home health therapy on contract for the VNA (Visiting Nurse Association). Home health nursing and therapy take a special mindset, and there is always a shortage, at every level from RNs to LPNs to aides. I have no direct knowledge of the nursing incomes, but the income levels for a physical therapist are quite comfortable, and they are often offering incentives like a signing bonus and help with moving expenses.

Okeechobee is indeed a neat little town. DW has been doing therapy for 43 years and can pretty much say where she wants to work. The VNA office in Okeechobee was desperate for a registered therapist (they have several PT Assistants), so DW decided to travel over there every day and work out of of their office, because we're planning to move there in the next year or so. She's not getting any extra $$$, but the simple joy of working with good-hearted rural folk is worth it to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach