Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:20 PM

483 posts, read 555,803 times

Advertisements

Using google maps, I see something that looks like one on Glades cutoff rd. Is there a wastewater treatment plant there. I'm thinking of buying a foreclosure in that general area and am concered about an related problems. sniff..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 07:07 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
Glades cuttoff has, I beleive, a concrete making plant out there and TRAIN tracks. Take your google maps down to street level and you can see for sure.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:20 PM

578 posts, read 1,776,832 times
Are you talking about the area at the extreme North end of Torino by the Tropicana plant? If so really take a look around at your view. I know they are burning some orange material at the plant this week as well. I looked at a couple of foreclosures in the area and thought better of it because of the area. We also looked at a house near the Scripts building just off I-95. It was a very nice house but for the price and the view it was not worth it. BTW that house is still vacant after almost 3 years. The prices would have to come way way down for me to consider buying any of these houses other than for rental property.

I was driving around Torino the other day (kind of off subject) and just off Zenith near Akbar st there is a very beautiful Key West style house with a coupla that has never been lived in. I bet that house could be bought for a song now. I don't have the exact address but you would know it when you saw it.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:07 AM

There are some very nice homes in Torino for sale! I had clients just 2 weeks ago and we found some really good buys. They need work, but...some HUGE lots etc.

Stay away from the tracks - they ARE used. You can see them in any kind of aerial view. Some people didn't even know they were there. You will.....LOL!!

Glades cutoff goes wayyyy past out west of Midway's Tropicana Plant. I have never heard anyone say they had a problem with Tropicana being there.

Will go see a map later and check it out ...have buyers today! HAPPY EASTER!!

Old 04-03-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep111 View Post
Are you talking about the area at the extreme North end of Torino by the Tropicana plant? If so really take a look around at your view. I know they are burning some orange material at the plant this week as well. I looked at a couple of foreclosures in the area and thought better of it because of the area. We also looked at a house near the Scripts building just off I-95. It was a very nice house but for the price and the view it was not worth it. BTW that house is still vacant after almost 3 years. The prices would have to come way way down for me to consider buying any of these houses other than for rental property.

I was driving around Torino the other day (kind of off subject) and just off Zenith near Akbar st there is a very beautiful Key West style house with a coupla that has never been lived in. I bet that house could be bought for a song now. I don't have the exact address but you would know it when you saw it.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
There are some very nice homes in Torino for sale! I had clients just 2 weeks ago and we found some really good buys. They need work, but...some HUGE lots etc.

Stay away from the tracks - they ARE used. You can see them in any kind of aerial view. Some people didn't even know they were there. You will.....LOL!!

Glades cutoff goes wayyyy past out west of Midway's Tropicana Plant. I have never heard anyone say they had a problem with Tropicana being there.

Will go see a map later and check it out ...have buyers today! HAPPY EASTER!!
I was wonder about the train tracks. Thanks. I've been able to confirm there is a wastewater treatment plant on Glades cut off. But I haven't smelled anything. Do you know how often trains go up that line and at what hours? thanks

Old 04-03-2010, 07:17 PM

Finding a commercial train schedule is next to impossible at the moment... but I do know they go by. When I lived in Jensen.. it was ..AWFUL! and all night and day long. No horns to speak off, but occasionally. Yes.. everyone said..oh, you'll get used to it! NOT!

Just be aware that the train IS THERE and you WILL HEAR IT! I was in PGA at a friend house and head it and was amazed! It only runs along a particular area ....so ask! Or I will be sure to find out for you

Where did you find the poopoo plant? I do have to say....any of the plants (with the exception of the one in Ft Pierce) have not had an odor.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:16 AM

152 posts, read 465,704 times
A friend of mine worked at the Ft. pierce wastewater plant when it was discharging into the Indian River. We fished behind the plant at night..The fishing was good..I believe they don't discharge into
the River now...I believe the plant is no longer in the same location....No matter how well they are run
it is almost impossible for them to be odor free 24/7..that being said, the odors should be contained to
the immediate area...Florida has strict water discharge regulations, I would think that applies to air as well....

Old 04-06-2010, 10:43 AM

578 posts, read 1,776,832 times
The Clean Water Act forces these treatment plants to only discharge water that is basically tap water back into the system. Now that does not mean mistakes are made but in general it is not that bad. What is is those large garbage dumps. I don't know how far south the winds blow the smell from the one up by Ft Pierce but I can immagine it is about 10 miles at least on a windy day.

I don't think the Tropicana plant is that big of a deal but having a neighborhood so close to an industrial area kind of takes away from the beauty factor in why you buy a house your going to live in. That is probibly one of the big issues as to why some of these houses have been on the market for so long.

We looked at a few and one of the things that made me balk was the fact that so many repairs would have to be made. Sure you may get a great price but all of the decent contractors have gone out of business, have moved or swamped with other people wanting them to do work for them.

Unless you are very handy then you need to take that into consideration. If the place is decent and you just want it as a rental property then it might be a good idea at this point. Forget flipping them they just don't have the buyers yet to make a proffit.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:44 AM

I agree that the Tropicana plant is no big deal. It's a building...you see nothing, hear nothing and wouldn't even know it was there if not for the big building and name out front.

As far as fixing homes up that need repair....it depends on the buyer Steve. I have people asking me for those exact kinds of homes because they CAN fix them up themselves and want to. Mostly for themselves too. I also have 2 buyers asking me to find them homes WITH chinese drywall...so they can tear them apart and re-do them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach