U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 08:31 AM

30 posts, read 50,365 times

Advertisements

My family is planning a move into Martin County in the near future. Husband works for Sikorsky, but I'll be looking for a job. We're presently looking at the areas of PSL, Stuart, Hobe Sound.

I assume I'll have to drive into WPB for a job (Human Resources). I dont mind the miles so much, but how is the traffic? I currently drive 17 miles each way, but it takes me 45 minutes most days due to traffic. (I hate traffic...)

What can I expect "rush hour" to be like if I'm traveling from PSL to WPB?

THANKS!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 10:55 AM

578 posts, read 1,606,994 times
First of all price compare homes in Martin vs St. Lucie County I believe you might just get a better deal up here. Depending on where you go in WPB it should be a commute of between 45 minutes and an Hour. Not that does not take into consideration accidents and construction or time of day you leave but that is what it normally takes me to get there.

On a very good day I can get to the Airport in around 30 minutes. That's pushing it a bit though.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 AM

4,495 posts, read 7,546,381 times
The drive is actually great. Your jam up place will be when you hit PGA Blvd and south. Backups and contruction too. Otherwise smooth sailing each way. I have actually made it in wayyyy less than 40 minutes, but don't tell the cops! I put on my "invisible" shield!

Steve is right about the home costs too.. PSL is way cheaper than Martin County and homes available near I95 for you.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:58 AM

Thank you both! We've been looking online at realtor.com quite a lot lately and naturally, we're seeing that the home prices in PSL are much less than the immediate surrounding areas. Hubby is watching for an open position in WPB (Sikorsky) and we want to sell our Connecticut home and buy something very quickly as soon as that happens. We have friends in Stuart, PSL & Tequesta, so we're somewhat familiar with the areas. I gravitate more towards the Stuart, Hobe Sound area, but we seem to be able to get so much more house for the $ in PSL, so I guess we have to look there as well. I'm just not excited about a 45 minute (plus) commute everyday...

Old 04-10-2010, 06:47 PM

4,495 posts, read 7,546,381 times
Well.. the reason homes are so much less in PSL is we were the only place to build new homes at the time. Nobody else would or was allowed. So.. .here we are...just waiting for you to come find a nice place with quick access I95 so you can make the drive to work like so many other here do as well. The commute will be a piece of cake...no traffic jams and just go with the flow...

Old 04-17-2010, 02:45 PM

5 posts, read 11,030 times
My husband and I live in PSL and he works at Sikorsky in WPB There are many other guys that live in PSL and work at Sikorsky so your husband could easily find a commuting buddy! I work near downtown WPB and to get from exit #118 (here) to #69 (there) it's about 45 minutes give or take. I usually work 9-5 so I get the worst of the rush hour traffic and it's really not that bad. Like you, I used to work about 10 miles from home and the commute was all back roads and took over 30 minutes. I prefer this highway driving and the commute becomes almost a "peaceful" time where I can enjoy my music or get caught up returning phone calls, etc.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:46 PM

Thanks floridamommy! My husband has a close friend who lives in Stuart, but he told us that there were many people who live in PSL as well. So, we'll probably look that far north if needed. We'll have our two 18 y/o boys with us as well. Both are graduating from high school this year (that's why we havent moved quite yet). I'll be pushing hard to have them in community college (at least), but they'll both be looking for jobs and I know that'll be hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach