U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:51 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,386,814 times

Advertisements

My wife and I spent a couple of days in Vero and PSL. Our impression of Vero is that it had a tired, worn out look and feel to it. On the other hand PSL seemed fresher, more dynamic. We cruised neighborhoods in both communities and didn't really see any homes that jumped out at us as possible retirement homes in Vero. But the number and quality of available homes in PSL was nothing short of impressive. Frankly, though, I'm not quite ready to give up on Vero and I'm wondering if there is a better way to explore these communities? Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 05:22 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,386,946 times
What's your price range? Chances are what costs X amount of dollars in PSL isn't going to get you as much in Vero. Get a realtor, she/he'll help you explore both areas.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:44 PM

4,482 posts, read 7,418,764 times
hehhehhe...JimMe...

Moderator cut: You may discuss a TOPIC but not a MEMBER. .

What you will be happy with depends on some factors. What kind of lifestyle are you seeking. What price of course. All year or part time? Retire or still have some kids? PSL gives you quick access to West Palm and loads of things to do if we don't have them here.

so...what'cha really looking for and makes you stop and say... I LIKE that! ??

Last edited by 2goldens; 04-13-2010 at 07:05 AM..

Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 AM

14,993 posts, read 10,454,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
My wife and I spent a couple of days in Vero and PSL. Our impression of Vero is that it had a tired, worn out look and feel to it. On the other hand PSL seemed fresher, more dynamic. We cruised neighborhoods in both communities and didn't really see any homes that jumped out at us as possible retirement homes in Vero. But the number and quality of available homes in PSL was nothing short of impressive. Frankly, though, I'm not quite ready to give up on Vero and I'm wondering if there is a better way to explore these communities? Ideas?

Stay on topic

Old 04-13-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
hehhehhe...JimMe...

Moderator cut: You may discuss a TOPIC but not a MEMBER. .

What you will be happy with depends on some factors. What kind of lifestyle are you seeking. What price of course. All year or part time? Retire or still have some kids? PSL gives you quick access to West Palm and loads of things to do if we don't have them here.

so...what'cha really looking for and makes you stop and say... I LIKE that! ??
FlaLadyB, I always find your posts informative and helpful. My wife and I will be retiring at the end of August 2012. So no kids (all grown) and no need for employment. We like the cinder block style of Florida homes (here in Maine everything is frame) and would like upwards of 1600sf of living space, a decent-sized lot (a quarter acre is enough) close enough to the beaches where we love to walk (but not so close that we have to worry about the salt air ruining our car). We're also exploring the possibility of buying a pool home or having one put in but that's still up in the air. I think we've pretty well ruled out a gated community (we don't want to spend our retirement years fighting some committee). We explored some of the terrain in PSL between Gatlin and Decker on our trip and saw many homes that fit the bill except for the evident crowding. We're looking forward to working with a realtor (or realtors, as you suggest, if we decide to further explore Vero). If you're still in the business when we retire we may be giving you a call.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 AM

4,482 posts, read 7,418,764 times
Well thank you ...I always try to help. Yes, you will want to look for a CBS home and not frame. Built newer than older because of more restrictions and requirements with building codes.
The average lot is 80x125 in most areas, but some are larger. Remember that most of the older homes will be closer to the water. Mixed newer and older homes to Bayshore. Mostly newer homes from Bayshore west.

Also gated communities aren't as bad as many people think they are. No commercial vehicles is the major one where in general PSL you can put anything- boats, old cars that don't run, multiple cars, trailers, campers, bus, etc.- in your yard and/or your driveway without restriction. Some are good about it, others are not. In communities the lots are smaller because they have amenities to provide and build on smaller lots to make the amount of money spent include what it needs to but you also don't usually have to cut your own grass which for me since I work all the time, I LOVE! They also usually include cable TV, and some include Internet as well. A clubhouse and a community pool too. Most are gated. Kind of depends on your lifestyle. Mine is still hectic and I don't have time to do anything but run in and run out so having my yard look nice all the time is a huge plus for me. I don't find any other restriction to my detriment....I like it, but that's me.

One reason I always ask what peoples needs are to help decided what it is they really want. Some want the things a gated community gives them, others want the space and like mowing the yard.

Either way, there is something for everybody. We just have to make your "wish list" and see what homes fit in it.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Well thank you ...I always try to help. Yes, you will want to look for a CBS home and not frame. Built newer than older because of more restrictions and requirements with building codes.
The average lot is 80x125 in most areas, but some are larger. Remember that most of the older homes will be closer to the water. Mixed newer and older homes to Bayshore. Mostly newer homes from Bayshore west.

Also gated communities aren't as bad as many people think they are. No commercial vehicles is the major one where in general PSL you can put anything- boats, old cars that don't run, multiple cars, trailers, campers, bus, etc.- in your yard and/or your driveway without restriction. Some are good about it, others are not. In communities the lots are smaller because they have amenities to provide and build on smaller lots to make the amount of money spent include what it needs to but you also don't usually have to cut your own grass which for me since I work all the time, I LOVE! They also usually include cable TV, and some include Internet as well. A clubhouse and a community pool too. Most are gated. Kind of depends on your lifestyle. Mine is still hectic and I don't have time to do anything but run in and run out so having my yard look nice all the time is a huge plus for me. I don't find any other restriction to my detriment....I like it, but that's me.

One reason I always ask what peoples needs are to help decided what it is they really want. Some want the things a gated community gives them, others want the space and like mowing the yard.

Either way, there is something for everybody. We just have to make your "wish list" and see what homes fit in it.
Wish we could make the move now. But two years isn't that long.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:25 PM

153 posts, read 398,685 times
Quote:
... We...would like...a decent-sized lot (a quarter acre is enough) close enough to the beaches where we love to walk (but not so close that we have to worry about the salt air ruining our car)....
You're shopping for an oxymoron. If you're close to beaches, the air will be salty.

I suggest you press "reset," and hope you have better results than the well-known politician who recently did that.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich2010 View Post
You're shopping for an oxymoron. If you're close to beaches, the air will be salty.

I suggest you press "reset," and hope you have better results than the well-known politician who recently did that.
Now you've got me wondering. I was under the impression that if you lived inland a ways, say near I 95, that the salt air would not be an issue. Am I wrong about that?

Old 04-16-2010, 12:56 PM

153 posts, read 398,685 times
Quote:
Now you've got me wondering. I was under the impression that if you lived inland a ways, say near I 95, that the salt air would not be an issue. Am I wrong about that?
If you live near I 95, salt air should not be an issue because you're no longer close to salt water or beaches. Realize, however, that near I 95 you will be trading less salt in the air (bad for the car) for more carbon monoxide, ozone and particulate matter (bad for the lungs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach