U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:38 AM

13 posts, read 49,310 times

Advertisements

Hi every one, been awhile, but here goes. I have lived in Eastport, in washington county for 5 years, to which I relocated from Mass. Although it is beautiful country, I find it way, way too remote for me. I miss being near resources etc. My problem, is that an injury forced me into early retirement, and disibility. I pay $500 a month rent, but want to move down to Portland area. I am used to the privacy of a house, and don't want an apartment. I have been on the sec 8 waiting list for what seems like forever, and I don't know how much more I can take up here! Am I in fantasy land hoping I can find a house to rent for Under $700 in the Portland area? I am an Ultra responsible tenant..... Thanks all!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 09:45 AM

831 posts, read 2,083,591 times
Renting an apartment for $700 is possible, a house is not. There are many apartments available in nice neighborhoods that only have a few units in them. I wouldn't really be concerned about the privacy factor. By living in Portland, I think you give up a little privacy anyways.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:55 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,219,343 times
We just signed a lease for a home in Portland (well, actually I guess it's more like a condo.) We looked at Craigslist a lot and other sources, and for a home, I really don't think you'd find anything for $700.

Take a look around online and see what you can find. I just did a quick search of craigslist and saw 1 bedroom apartments for $700 or less. How far out of the city would you be willing to go? That might be the only way.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:44 AM

13 posts, read 49,310 times
Thanks everyone for the advice. I peruse Craigslist myself. I really don't want to be right in the city, 30 miles or lass out would do. i like country living, but don't want to have to drive 2-3 hours to get to something besides a Walmart, like I have to do here! I will keep looking.....

Old 06-29-2010, 05:19 AM

That makes a huge difference, then! It woul be easier to find what you're looking for, presuming you're looking for a 1-2 bedroom house, further out.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:36 AM

Up to 30 miles out gives you a huge chunk of land to look at. Biddeford is only 20 miles south of Portland. New Gloucester is about 25 miles north. Freeport is under 20 to the NE. Gorham is about 10 miles to the west. This should help you visualize the area a bit better when looking at a map.

I'd try to find the town(s) with the amenities that you want (stores, etc.) and go from there. Portland has some killer traffic so driving into and out of the city isn't always fun nor quick.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:06 AM

3,231 posts, read 6,981,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
Portland has some killer traffic so driving into and out of the city isn't always fun nor quick.

Really? Seriously? KILLER traffic? Me thinks you ought to get out of state more often.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:39 PM

No kidding! Compared to when I grew up in the area I do understand it's worse now, but in the whole scheme of things, Portland dos not have traffic that bad.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
Really? Seriously? KILLER traffic? Me thinks you ought to get out of state more often.
Well I'm not from Maine so I think I understand what I'm talking about here. Also I drive for the bus company so I'm in it everyday.

Let's take today for example... a train broke down while crossing Woodford's Corner. It didn't start moving until some 20 minutes later. That means that traffic is now backed up all the way down Forest Ave into downtown. The same train later broke down again on Congress near St. John causing another huge traffic pile up. Cars backed up all the way to Westgate. When it takes me more than 20 minutes to drive across town (less than 5 miles) I consider that to be pretty bad.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:06 AM

3,231 posts, read 6,981,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
Well I'm not from Maine so I think I understand what I'm talking about here. Also I drive for the bus company so I'm in it everyday.

Let's take today for example... a train broke down while crossing Woodford's Corner. It didn't start moving until some 20 minutes later. That means that traffic is now backed up all the way down Forest Ave into downtown. The same train later broke down again on Congress near St. John causing another huge traffic pile up. Cars backed up all the way to Westgate. When it takes me more than 20 minutes to drive across town (less than 5 miles) I consider that to be pretty bad.
I understand your thoughts and am sympathetic to yesterdays issues with the train break downs causing traffic back ups. However this is not a daily occurrence, and hardly warrants a warning to all considering a move here that Portland has a killer traffic issue. It's Portland MAINE, not Atlanta, Los Angeles, Detroit, nor downtown Manhattan. It's all relative my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area