Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:06 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I think you forgot that some of us believe that all of inaliable rights come from somewhere other than our government.

A good education starts in the home. I have met more home schooled households here in Maine then anywhere else I lived. That is a good thing, there are limits to a government education, and there is a point where the costs outweigh the benefits.

You mention people standing idly by while others suffer. I wonder how many of the same people who fear big government and wasteful spending are the same who people who volunteer reading to children with disabilities, or who give donation's to programs that truelly help needy children, or who when they realize that their school is failing their own child they take the child out of the school and home school them. So I question whether those who prefere to use the coercive powers of the government to fund there own desires of what they veiw as a RIGHT! is actually considered "getting involved".
all five of our children are home schooled by mrs ranger not me the only thing they would learn from me is to hunt ,fish, how to treat their fellow man,wood work,and fix things around the house.but thats not enough.we chose to home school when our oldest come home with ideas he didnt get from home.i went to publik school and had some great teachers.hi mrs.crane and mr.Mcdonald if your out there.i beleave that shcool is the most important thing in a child's life if not for schools we would have more crime and less compation.and if my taxes go up a cpl bucks for the schools then so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 03:17 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
all five of our children are home schooled by mrs ranger not me the only thing they would learn from me is to hunt ,fish, how to treat their fellow man,wood work,and fix things around the house.but thats not enough.we chose to home school when our oldest come home with ideas he didnt get from home. I went to publik school and had some great teachers.hi mrs.crane and mr.Mcdonald if your out there.i beleave that shcool is the most important thing in a child's life if not for schools we would have more crime and less compation.and if my taxes go up a cpl bucks for the schools then so be it.

Public schools are a great service to the majority of Americans who want an education for their children but do not have the money for a private school. The point of my response was that I do not believe we have some inaliable right to an education...........we have a right to seek out an education........but not to have one provided for us at ANY cost. A couple of points Wingman was making rubbed me the wrong way. Their are limits to what governement can do..........and the education that starts in the home is one of them.

PS. I whish you could home school me...........I seem to be lacking in the area of hunting ,fishing, wood working, and fixing things around the house...as much as I try

Old 07-27-2008, 03:50 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,746 times
Quote:

PS. I whish you could home school me...........I seem to be lacking in the area of hunting ,fishing, wood working, and fixing things around the house...as much as I try
I think we all feel the same way!
Ranger.101 would have an instant class full of forum members.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Public schools are a great service to the majority of Americans who want an education for their children but do not have the money for a private school. The point of my response was that I do not believe we have some inaliable right to an education...........we have a right to seek out an education........but not to have one provided for us at ANY cost. A couple of points Wingman was making rubbed me the wrong way. Their are limits to what governement can do..........and the education that starts in the home is one of them.

i think your right its not a right.i think there should be a demerit system.for instance say, school A.has 150 students at the begining of the year.and school B has 150 to.all the students of school A pass and go on to bigger and better things.but school B has say 15 or 20 drop out.now is it fair for school A to cut their budget they did their job all 150 passed.i think IMOHO if a school has a dropout rate of say 5% hten they are doing something wrong.make them cut their budget why cut the good schools budget.this is going to upset some people but it pi**** me off when i see a 16 -17 yr old quit school.i paid good tax money to put him or her through school just to not finnish.if their going to quit then they should be made to pay us back the tax money we spent on them.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
I think we all feel the same way!
Ranger.101 would have an instant class full of forum members.
classes start 4:30 am mon wen fri.things you will need for class no good yuppy clothes. whear riped staind greasy coveralls,eye protection,ear plugs,note pad #2 pensil,and beer 6 pk or what ever it takes you to get through the day.if you dont drink pleas think of the other class mates bring some for the rest of us.and on your way if you see some road kill pleas stop pick it up and ill give you a free survival course.oh ya dont forget your fish pole and gun.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:21 PM

307 posts, read 1,589,241 times
Default Moved to get on topic, I hope

Hi all,
I asked that my thread be moved over to the Portland forum (thanks 7th!) because it was a more appropriate area.
Also, I had hoped that the ranting might quiet down and folks might respond to my original question.
It's strange to think I might be considered communist just because I want my kids (some who have some difficulties) to get an appropriate public education. I do believe my taxes (as a home owner in Maine) go towards a number of things including an appropriate education for my kids.
Perhaps like anything, there are extreme circumstances when there are abuses in the system. I don't think we are abusing the system.
I am just hoping to find the best for my children, and that is an appropriate public education.
BTW, we are narrowing our search to around Falmouth because my boys will be attending Maine State Ballet for dance classes and we practically live at the studio. If anyone has feedback on school systems around there (Cumberland, etc) it would be much appreciated.
Hope to find a nice big affordable house with room for my parents, four boys, husband, dog and 3 cats! I'd love for it to be Yarmouth since my grandmother on back are from there but we've not found much we can afford that fits our needs yet.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:47 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
My family has relatively deep roots in America. One ancestor was a trapper who homesteaded in Missouri in 1790, another was William Bradford of the Plymouth Colony.

Both of my parents grew up and were educated before our nation began funding education using tax dollars.

My siblings and I were the first generation in my family to have attended public-funded education.

When our first born was in the second grade, we found that we were constantly being drawn into huge battles with the elementary school. Sex Ed in the second grade [proper uses of saran wrap for 'safe' lesbian sex, and alternative lifestyle presentations in textbooks]. So we began homeschooling then, it was 1992. We contacted some Mennonites and got connected with their boxed-set curriculum. Not entirely unlike the 'readers' that my parents and grand-parents were familiar with.

When our second son got old enough to go to 'public school', the fights began once again. This time the school board insisted that since he was F.A.S. and had huge delays; that the school system would never attempt to educate him. They insisted that it was not their job. He would finger-paint until he was 18, and the public schools would hand him a 'diploma'. That was the public-funded school's plan for him. so we began homeschooling him as well.

My grand parents and parents have never questioned why we home school. It seemed natural to them, as it was how my grandparents had raised my parents.

It would never occur to me, that I should insist that you other folks should foot the bill [through your tax dollars], to pay for my children's education.

It is my responsibility: to raise my children; to education them: and to present them one day as productive adults.

I understood that responsibility when I decided to father a child, and again when I decided to adopt.

If using such an institution is 'popular' and convenient and if it works; then fine. Go for it and use the service. But when it fails, when it refuses to perform that function, none of that removes my basic responsibility as a parent.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:53 PM

112 posts, read 283,424 times
I was sure Wingman580 was a " Fellow M******* " , from Cambridge , but after reading All His Post , I see that He is from Rhode Island .
Bob

Old 09-05-2008, 05:45 PM

4 posts, read 17,028 times
I am retired Army, with 3 boys with autism. We are more than likely relocating to Maine. It is just so nerve racking for us!!!One state does this, another does that, while this one does not do this nor that...egad! What is a man to do? In my little experience with autism....ahem...I wish I could say that...I just wish that the Gov. would pick up the slack and make a platform. A program that is nation wide and AWESOME!!!!!!! I am just worn out with all of this he said, she said this state, no that state, oh that city sucks, this one is good....enough. Just fix the stinking problem and let me live out the rest of my life in peace...any suggestions as to where we should move for our children?? 6 yr old severe, 4 yr old moderate, and my little 3 yr old that is as tough as nails...high functioning...we need care in school and at home, for I am disabled 100% now. Thanks for any and all GREAT nuggets of wisdom...I thunk...

Old 09-06-2008, 07:20 AM

874 posts, read 1,855,495 times
I am sorry you and your children are having to deal with this incredible burden. Parenting is tough enough but having to deal with issues like these makes it seem impossible sometimes. I agree, it would be nice if things were more streamlined so you could go live where you want and get the same services for your children. But what if there was a federal system for autistic kids and other kids with similar problems? What if it wasn't good enough but ended up being all you could get?

Check the schools out wherever you are thinking of going. Find the best place you can but remember you will always need to advocate for your children. Just like our parents will get better care in nursing homes if we are there visiting a lot so to will our children get better care at school. It sounds like this will be difficult for you, being 100% disabled. If you can not get around to the school your children are in demand (in a nice way of course) that their teachers and support staff communicate with you regularly by email.

All 4 of my school age children are dealing with issues that affect their schooling. I found that the most important thing we did to get schools to take us seriously was to show a united front. Whenever possible having both parents meet the school staff works best. Never undercut each other in front of the staff either. Good luck (you have to be in line for some by now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area