Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:19 PM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times

Advertisements

^Oh, I agree that Portland is dirtier than Burlington. Absolutely. My reference points (places I've lived) are D.C., Providence and Boston. While each of those cities has far more exclusive and pristine sections than anything you'll find in Portland, the worst parts are also quite a bit dirtier. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

As far as the young people go, I don't disagree that there are some (a visible group); I just think there are small enclaves (particularly downtown) rather than an entirely "young" city. Having lived in Burlington, would you say that Portland is generally older or younger? I always thought Burlington felt a LOT younger than Portland; but then again, I've only visited.

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:17 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_Lanctot View Post
Compared to where I came from(Burlington), I found Portland to be dirtier. To each their own. Seems to me Portland has a lot of young people though. We do agree on the jobs situation. I wish I didn't have to leave but I haven't had the luck vis-a-vis jobs that some here have had. And the jobs that are here don't pay enough to live on. Hence the 2-3 jobs you mention.

I see you moved on irfox, and so must I.
My Daughter lives in Burlington and I will absolutely agree with you that Portland has a much dirtier look and feel that Burlington. Burlington has a younger population too. Portland's homeless, handicapped, mentally ill, tweakers, street people or what ever you want to call them are abundant in comparison with Burlington. I have never seen any "bums" in Burlington (a few nuts) yet Portland is loaded with them. Congress Street used to be a beautiful street in Portland. The businesses always were clean and the area was kept neat. Christmas time was lovely there with the trees on the Porteous entrance roof and lights all up and down the street. Now it's a dump with graffiti all over the place, seedy looking ratty stores and closed restaurants. The Roma restaurant (there since the 70's) and Bramhall pub closed because people don't feel safe in that section of town anymore and stopped going to those once nice establishments.. The area by the hospital was nicknamed "Little Mogadishu" by some clients of my brother. It isn't a pretty place.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:31 PM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
The Roma restaurant (there since the 70's) and Bramhall pub closed because people don't feel safe in that section of town anymore and stopped going to those once nice establishments.
They closed?! That's a shame. The last few times I had gone there (over a year ago), it was all but empty.

I lived in "little Mogadishu" my last year in Portland. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all (again, a matter of perspective, I had lived in far worse areas), but can see how the homeless (there were tons of them) and influx of refugees could be off-putting at least.

The news about the Roma is sad though. I got to know many of the staff there as it was right down the street from my apartment.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:14 PM

325 posts, read 706,010 times
This is why I want to leave; Portland is not a pretty place to be homeless, and I only have a few months before my unemployment runs out.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:02 PM

356 posts, read 703,556 times
The beautiful home that once housed the Roma is currently being renovated by Roxanne Quimby (founder of Burt's Bees), with plans for a culinary school and art gallery.

I moved here several months ago, so perhaps I lack historical perspective. But I love strolling Congress, and I find the businesses to be charming, with very few closed storefronts. So I don't recognize the Congress Street you're talking about, or maybe I see it with different eyes. I used to live in the Central West End in St. Louis, Missouri, and there were far, far more closed storefronts and panhandlers and way more crime (but still a wonderful neighborhood).

Old 08-27-2010, 10:31 AM

21 posts, read 72,507 times
I'm going to have to disagree with the negative sentiments about portland. I've lived all over, having spent half my life in santa cruz, ca and the other half in "the other portland" oregon. after a nine month jaunt in upstate ny (want to talk about sh**holes?) and a move to portland, maine, i've found this place to be a beautiful, comfortable city with lots to do outside and the kind of shops, pubs and eateries you expect from a big city.

I cant speak to the job situation, which is a biggie, because my husband and I own our own business but let me tell you - the weather isn't half as bad as people would have you believe. Compared to the grey skies and never ending rain of the pacific northwest, the hurricanes in the south, wildfires and earthquakes in california and tornadoes in the midwest, I think we have it pretty good. Assuming you really do like blue skies and snow. Which I do.

I wouldn't call the town particularly young or old but a good mix. The city is beautiful, quintessential new england and has a lot to offer. There is a decent amount of music, culture and arts. Great places to eat and miles of hiking, ocean strolling and paths along the bay. I wouldn't say there is a big night scene but being married with two kids, I wasn't really looking for that. Summers are incredibly beautiful and there is a vibrant small business community that keeps things interesting.

I spent many years of my life living in portland, oregon and loathing it. I complained to anyone who listened and in my mind, the place was terrible. That was only half true. It's easy to get yourself into a funk about a city you've lived in for a long time because you are simply disenchanted with things that have little to do with the place and much more to do with yourself.

If moving here is really your goal, plan appropriately for it. Find a job beforehand, figure out what neighborhood you're looking at getting a place in, put together some mock up budgets. Save every dime for the unexpected. Plan ahead. Making a big move under-financed and under prepared can turn something really exciting into a nightmare. Be prepared when searching for jobs for the question about why you're moving here. You don't want to seem flaky or flighty and an impulsive move explained the wrong way could give that impression. (Not insinuating this is the way you are at all - just something that comes to mind as an employer.)

And most of all, good luck to you.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:48 PM

It's not that I don't like Portland(except downtown which I loathe)....it's that I can't find a job and I have been unemployed almost a year. A lot of places have closed down here within the past two years.

Also my living situation is not to my liking(don't live with hippies FYI).

Old 08-27-2010, 02:17 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
JobsInME.com - Job Results

It looks to me like if anyone is that willing and desperate to work, there is work to be found.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
JobsInME.com - Job Results

It looks to me like if anyone is that willing and desperate to work, there is work to be found.
Not in the call center field, there isn't.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:14 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Did you by chance open the link? The first position listed is for a CSR for TW. Have you tried Auto Europe? They might be hiring soon. Have you considered working outside of your field? Desperate times require desperate measures? Just trying to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area