U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,834 times

Advertisements

Thinking pf moving from very dog friendly S.F to . . . Portland , Me.
How dog friendly is Portland?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 07:44 AM

8,767 posts, read 16,964,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendonald View Post
Thinking pf moving from very dog friendly S.F to . . . Portland , Me.
How dog friendly is Portland?
Too dog friendly for most of us non dog owners! You'll notice some familiar scenes in Portland compared to S.F. Namely the large numbers of bums all over the place. S.F. beats out Portland but not by much! If a city will put up with human waste all over the place what's a few dogs running roughshod in the city??

Old 08-27-2010, 10:26 AM

2,274 posts, read 6,026,562 times
Dendonald, please know that not everyone shares the same perspective about Portland as Mainah -- all he really writes about is his disdain for "bums" and "crazies" and dogs and Portland in general. He should write one response outlining how dirty and nasty Portland with all of its bums and dogs is, and paste it to each thread about the city.

As for Portland being dog friendly, I live in the West End and all I can say is, there are tons of dogs around here. We walk ours, and meet many others walking their dog along the way. There is at least one off-leash park here that I know of, though we haven't been. Jasper is 8 months and isn't to be trusted yet off leash, so I would not take him there yet.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:26 PM

21 posts, read 68,346 times
yes, the city is pretty dog friendly but keep in mind - no dogs on most beaches until after labor day and dogs need to be licensed (does anyone actually do this?) and leashed in most public areas. we have a dog, though i'm not much of a dog person and we run into TONS of dog owners. walking your dog on the back cove trail is a popular after dinner pastime.

with all that said, if you move here with your dog - be sure to pick up the poop.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:29 PM

No kidding. Dog poop is a pet peeve of mine (so to speak).

Old 08-28-2010, 08:02 AM

326 posts, read 563,160 times
I find Portland to be very dog friendly. I live on Munjoy Hill, which has tons of dogs, and people stop me all the time during my walks to pet my two beagles and chat. There are off-leash (but unfenced) areas on the Eastern Prom, plus dogs are allowed on the East End Beach before 9 a.m. and after 5 p.m. during the summer, and all day during the rest of the year. (This seems to work quite well, and if there are ever non-dog people on the beach, people generally take their dogs to the far end of the beach.) There are several off-leash parks in the area (including an old quarry off Ocean Avenue and Hinckley Park in South Portland, which both have trails), as well as many local trails where you can walk your dog on-leash.

Portland has a couple great local pet stores (Fetch & Planet Dog), several kennels and doggy day cares, as well as dog-walking and pet-sitting services. Some restaurants in the Old Port allow dogs on their patios, although we usually leave ours at home. You can take your dog on the ferry that goes out to the islands, too.

Although we were warned that it would be difficult to find a pet-friendly apartment, that hasn't been an issue at all. Of course, your dog should be quiet and well-behaved, and you may need to pay an extra deposit or monthly fee.

Toronto is the most dog-friendly place I've ever lived (off-leash areas abound, and dogs are allowed on the subway and buses), but Portland is pretty close.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Dendonald, please know that not everyone shares the same perspective about Portland as Mainah -- all he really writes about is his disdain for "bums" and "crazies" and dogs and Portland in general. He should write one response outlining how dirty and nasty Portland with all of its bums and dogs is, and paste it to each thread about the city.

As for Portland being dog friendly, I live in the West End and all I can say is, there are tons of dogs around here. We walk ours, and meet many others walking their dog along the way. There is at least one off-leash park here that I know of, though we haven't been. Jasper is 8 months and isn't to be trusted yet off leash, so I would not take him there yet.
Yes and I'll keep up my one man campaign against the desecration in the streets of Portland whether it is due to the welfare nuts and bums taking over the city or the dog friendlies who want to take over the beaches and parks for their "children". While many dog owners pick up after their "children" many others do not. There should be a few dog parks where dog owners can take their dogs to run off the leash and knowing it is a dog park people not wanting to deal with dogs and their messes can avoid these areas. The general population should not have to remove doggy doo from their shoes after they take their REAL children for a walk in the park THEIR tax dollars also paid to maintain! Nor should they have to put up with bums doing the same thing the dogs are doing in the same park with NO ONE to clean up the mess! Perhaps people will realize someday that filling a town with dogs and bums detracts from the livability of the area for the general population and will do something to make the city more attractive to the average person looking to relocate. Until that time I'll wage on with the campaign!
Perhaps you were not in Maine when Portland was an considered an attractive city. A good many of us who have lived here for a long time do remember. Portland has become dirtier and less safe and needs to be cleaned up. They did it in New York. They can do it here.

Last edited by Maineah; 08-30-2010 at 10:34 PM..

Old 08-31-2010, 05:31 AM

You keep doing what you feel you need to, I guess.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
You keep doing what you feel you need to, I guess.
It doesn't hurt to try and improve things!

Old 09-02-2010, 07:14 AM

191 posts, read 443,380 times
Portland is very dog friendly. People with views like Maineah are in the minority...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area