U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 10:32 AM

19 posts, read 92,481 times

Advertisements

Hello Maine we are visiting our 1st time during Thanksgiving weekend

Sorry! I originally posted this on the general state forum, and I couldn't find the "delete" button, but I wanted to post here since we are actually staying in Portland... here we go!

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are very excited about this trip. We are driving up from NJ on Thanksgiving, we've got a 6 or so hour drive up, we will be arriving in Portland probably before midnite and staying until our check-out time Sunday morning.

We are looking to move out of Jersey in a couple years and considering Maine an option... so here is our first visit!
We both feel we don't get enough snow in NJ, amongst a myriad of other reasons why we are looking to go north

So I am posting here in hopes of getting a lil inside insight that might make our first trip visiting awesome
Our agenda is 1/2 vacation and 1/2 about seeing if we like the real local (not touristy?) stuffs going on there...

We are both 29 and not into the bar or church scene.
We are willing to travel within about a 50-mile radius of Portland to check stuff out, over Friday the 26th and Saturday the 27th, returning to our hotel each nite.

Here is a list random questions:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
1. We hear you guys do the blueberry thing well
Is it good season to find something fresh deliciously blueberry? where?

2. A good restaurant- possibly with fresh seafood? -On the bay with a view of incoming ships?

3. A good safe place to check out the nighttime starlit sky?

4. A nice scenic drive loop thru small lakeside towns?

5. A glimpse of a undeveloped rocky beachline to freeze on for a couple minutes while admiring its beauty?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

We are checking out a tree-lighting on Friday night, and also heard there is some sort of free carriage rides thru downtown Portland this weekend.

Thanks for reading this post
and sorry if it was kinda long!
thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 04:45 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,472,533 times
I'll do #3 and #5. The Eastern Promanade is a wonderful place to check out the night sky. It's a short walk right from Commercial St via the pathway. You get a nice view of Casco Bay from the western part of the park and by the cannons on the eastern part a great view of ships coming into Portland Harbor. Safetywise, I photographed from there at night several times by myself and I never had a problem.

The best place for the rocky shore thing is a walk along the coast in Two Lights State Park. If you walk from the south to the north you can end the walk at one of Maine's most popular lobster shacks.

Finding fresh seafood or a lake is about as easy as breathing. A lakeside town abit harder. Naples or Harrison would be my choices for a lakeside town within an hour from Portland.

Since I'm not a Mainer anymore I let the many fine folks in here to take it from here.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:39 PM

8,767 posts, read 17,675,190 times
Around Thanksgiving time I'd stick closer to the Portland area for restaurants. Most of the lakeside towns have rolled up the sidewalks by now. There are a number of restaurants in Portland specializing in seafood. It really depends on how much you want to spend. You can get literally everything from a cup of clam chowder to a five star gourmet meal.
You can take route 302 out of Portland toward the Naples area to see some lakes but as I said the towns are into winter mode now.
If you're up around the lakes at night you'll see many more stars than you will with the city wash lights in Portland, though the Eastern Promanade is nice.
Blueberry season has come and gone though most places will have muffins, scones and pancakes available all year. No fresh ones now. Ditto with MRVphotog on the Two lights area for the rocky coast.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:27 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,531,554 times
Drive just outside Portland to Mackworth Island, park your car and walk the circumference.
Eat at Silly's on 40 Washington Ave. No blueberries but plenty of other tasty things! Silly's Restaurant- Pizza, Burgers, Dinners, Wraps and Great Shakes- Portland Maine

Old 11-16-2010, 04:37 AM

thanks MRV, maineah, and moughie for your replies
i have limited online time so just wanted to acknowledge and drop a quick reply... i will research this info more soon... we're sooo very much looking forward to next week!

Old 11-16-2010, 04:41 AM

Oh! while i'm thinking of it, on either Friday or Saturday (26th or 27th),
does anybody know of a place worth checking out that would have live music~ maybe blues or rock?

Old 11-20-2010, 08:31 PM

874 posts, read 1,767,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbiegrrl View Post
Oh! while i'm thinking of it, on either Friday or Saturday (26th or 27th),
does anybody know of a place worth checking out that would have live music~ maybe blues or rock?
Calendar of Events - Live Music, Portland, Maine, Arts Venue Theater, Film, Dance, Community Events, One Longfellow Square

This is a great small venue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area