U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 07:17 AM

465 posts, read 478,651 times

Advertisements

I've had this city as well as many others recommended to me. I'm researching what city would be best for me to move to in a few years. So I have a few questions and may add more later.

1) I have brain damage and can't drive because of seizures and other issues...I also get lost easy...I either need a good public transport option or everything that's necessary needs to be in walking distance. Like if I lived in a certain section of town.

2) I live on SSI a lot of times I can't even work part-time will I be able to afford the area? I should be able to get food stamps and be able to transfer my Section 8 until they fit me into the other area? But how are the prices on things including housing, food, cost of living in general? I can work pt usually if there's occupational training,etc. in the area for disabled people.

3) I'm an FtM transgender meaning I'm in a female body but identify as male will this be an issue? People can tell I'm "different" just from looking at me.

4) Will I have to worry about being bullied for being disabled and/or trans or will people be nice to me? Yes I know there's a few bad eggs everywhere I'm talking about the majority of the people. I don't rub who I am in people's faces but people know I'm "different" both in that I look like a butch lesbian as I've not started hormones or anything, also it's obvious talking to me about my brain damage status.

5. Are their areas to avoid?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 09:43 PM

8,767 posts, read 17,771,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamscott View Post
I've had this city as well as many others recommended to me. I'm researching what city would be best for me to move to in a few years. So I have a few questions and may add more later.

1) I have brain damage and can't drive because of seizures and other issues...I also get lost easy...I either need a good public transport option or everything that's necessary needs to be in walking distance. Like if I lived in a certain section of town.

2) I live on SSI a lot of times I can't even work part-time will I be able to afford the area? I should be able to get food stamps and be able to transfer my Section 8 until they fit me into the other area? But how are the prices on things including housing, food, cost of living in general? I can work pt usually if there's occupational training,etc. in the area for disabled people.

3) I'm an FtM transgender meaning I'm in a female body but identify as male will this be an issue? People can tell I'm "different" just from looking at me.

4) Will I have to worry about being bullied for being disabled and/or trans or will people be nice to me? Yes I know there's a few bad eggs everywhere I'm talking about the majority of the people. I don't rub who I am in people's faces but people know I'm "different" both in that I look like a butch lesbian as I've not started hormones or anything, also it's obvious talking to me about my brain damage status.

5. Are their areas to avoid?
You've certainly cast a broad net as you have asked the same question about at least 18 other cities.
I would suggest you first narrow down your search and if Portland makes your short list perhaps then you might take some time to find out what Portland has to offer you. Should you decide you really ARE interested in Portland and you become familiar with the area, it's history, background, and people, you will no doubt have specific questions about certain sections of Portland, housing costs, availibility of public transportation,make up of the population, layout of the town etc. With your move at least two years out as you have stated in other posts you will have time to whittle down your choices and see if Portland is still on your list.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:45 AM

465 posts, read 478,651 times
Well, that's kinda why I've been asking I've ruled out a lot of those places like Knoxville, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Iowa City, just off the top of my head w/o even thinking about it. That's kinda why I'm asking some of the areas won't be for me. In fact most of the original five on my list aren't there anymore. People have also suggested other areas like Minneapolis, in DM or in posts and so as a result I find it worth it. Minneapolis, Asheville, St. Louis, Ithica, NY are among the ones that make my short list so far. Of that list of four all but Asheville, which I live about an hour away from, were suggested on these forums, either in post or on DM but I hear you. I will give it a rest for awhile.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:23 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,390,563 times
Portland is not cheap as far as utilities and food prices. Not the most expensive, of course, but not cheap, either. Though obviously people do survive on SSI alone.

Transportation is not the best here, though there certainly are buses. There are a few places you could live and be able to walk to everything but not many, frankly. The city is not really set up that way.

As for how you will be treated, Portland in general is a pretty GLBT-friendly place. There are always exceptions, but overall I think you'd do fine in that regard.

Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area