Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 02:55 PM

37 posts, read 98,445 times

Advertisements

This is my website: http://www.rustymaine.com/photo (broken link)

Mostly pictures from Portland and neighborhoods. There exist lots of other photo-blogs dedicated to capturing authentic Maine culture. Some of them are linked on my page.

Enjoy!

Last edited by ptld; 01-19-2011 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: hyperlink typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 11:23 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,381 times
Hey Maineah, there are some street bums in the Portland photo album! Ah, authentic Maine.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:53 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Hey Maineah, there are some street bums in the Portland photo album! Ah, authentic Maine.
Yesterday I looked through about fifteen or twenty of the 52 pages of photos the OP posted and was going to remark at THE LACK of street bums in the photos! Bums present verify the authenticity of the photos IMO! I'm glad you found some! The photos overall are pretty interesting. I liked the UFO light at Otto's pizza!

Old 01-20-2011, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the input! This is my very first time posting on this site, and I was almost sure I'd get flagged as SPAM or some such. I'm putting together more and more of this as the days go on, partially as an ongoing school project, but mostly as a hobby. I think there is much unspoken about Portland and Maine in general that sites like this aim to uncover. For folks considering a move to this major destination-town, I figure it can't hurt to have sites like rustymaine.com kicking around. I've gotten compliments from friends of mine who, for various reasons, have all moved out of the state and region. Authentic, unpretentious photography keep the town alive for them, wherever they be!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:07 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,381 times
ptld, I liked the album. The pictures don't try to make Portland out to be something that it's not. The "drive by" shooting style makes the city look a little more active than it actually is, but that's the only thing that stood out to me as being a bit off. Take some pictures inside buildings and take pictures from the street instead of the car to remove some of the blur. If you see someone particularly interesting, you could even stop them and ask to take their picture. I did this in NYC and only about 2 out of 10 people said no.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:04 PM

Thank you for that feedback, Kristin! I like the suggestion of asking people to take their photo, never actually thought to talk to folks face-to-face. Once some of the snow around town starts to melt and the weather begins to warm a tad, I will more than likely follow your suggestions. The initial idea behind the website was to record rural Maine, but for now (being anchored in Portland) my plan is to work out a few more Portland albums specifically before travelling around outside of the immediate area ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area