U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:02 PM

49 posts, read 96,680 times

Advertisements

Hi!!

My family and I are moving to Portland, ME area. We are searching for a home and would love to hear some advice. This is what we are looking for:

-A GREAT family neighborhood with lots of kids for my little ones to play with
-A walkable town. something with a town center,library, school.
- Great schools
-sense of community
-safe neighborhoods
- Farmer's market on the weekends
-A quaint town feel with coffee shops, book stores ect in walking distance
-We really like to walk around our neighborhood, can you tell??

The most important thing is good schools and a really tight community feel.

Is someplace like this possible near Portland??

Thanks in advance!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 02:30 PM

1,951 posts, read 4,831,642 times
Sounds like Deering Center to me.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:52 PM

49 posts, read 96,680 times
thanks! Is that considered a really nice neighborhood?? I have very small children so I need a very family oriented safe neighborhood.

Are there subdivisions there?? We are from Charlotte were all the neighborhoods are subdivisions. I am thinking Maine is not like that. LOL!!

Old 02-23-2011, 03:59 PM

1,951 posts, read 4,831,642 times
It's a neighborhood that is in the vicinity of Longfellow Elementary School, Lincoln Middle School, Deering High School and the Portland Campus of the University of New England. It's an older neighborhood, no sub-divisons.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:43 PM

20,325 posts, read 24,025,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissys74 View Post
Hi!!

My family and I are moving to Portland, ME area. We are searching for a home and would love to hear some advice. This is what we are looking for:

-A GREAT family neighborhood with lots of kids for my little ones to play with
-A walkable town. something with a town center,library, school.
- Great schools
-sense of community
-safe neighborhoods
- Farmer's market on the weekends
-A quaint town feel with coffee shops, book stores ect in walking distance
-We really like to walk around our neighborhood, can you tell??

The most important thing is good schools and a really tight community feel.

Is someplace like this possible near Portland??
Brunswick.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:54 AM

279 posts, read 662,333 times
So jealous. I am from Maine and living outside Raleigh. I cant wait to move back!!! I lived in Gorham and walked everywhere. However, there is no bookstore or farmer's market. Portland has most of what you are looking for.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 16,125 times
Hi. We're moving to the area this summer and have chosen Gorham. We have 2 young kids (5 and 7). I've spent a ton of time researching (on-line and on-foot in Maine), and feel very good about Gorham as a warm, cohesive, supportive community with a real town center and family-focused activities. I cross my fingers that I'm right about this; read the Gorham Times on-line to get a real flavor for the town and schools and attitude. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:21 AM

279 posts, read 662,333 times
Gorham is awesome. You wont regret it. We will be moving back to Gorham (God willing) next summer.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:02 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,368,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Brunswick.
I second this! For some reason it hadn't crossed my mind..

Affordable right now too. Some really good deals in housing there.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 PM

37 posts, read 92,260 times
WhoFanMe is right - you just described Deering Center. Because there are so many schools on this stretch it is easily-walkable (think crossing-guards and speed-bumps). There is a scattering of shops, plus the Burbank branch of the Portland Public Library is here.

I live in the Back Cove area and even with blankets of ice and snow-mounds narrowing the streets and sidewalks, I can still walk easier than say, if I lived near Franklin Art. The view of Munjoy Hill from across Back Cove on Baxter Blvd is always impressive. There's a few different little pockets in this neighborhood for coffee and books. Star East Cafe, Brea Lu, the Bayou and of course Dunkin Donuts come to mind. You have Baxter Woods, Payson Park, plus the Blvd for walking/biking trails right outside your door. And Forest Av Plaza and the Hannaford Plaza, which houses Annie's Book Stop- are within a walkable distance. The Deering Center/Woodfords/Bayside area is where it's at! If you look at a map of Portland, it's practically smack-dab in the middle of things here - but still I'd say the West End has the most character of any neighborhood in this town. There's just something about it ... Go for a walk to the Western Prom and check it out yourself. It's entirely walkable, but isn't as close to the schools and libraries as Deering Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area