Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 04:21 PM

3 posts, read 7,602 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum. I posted this message at the end of another thread, but it dawned on me more of you may see this if I started a new thread.

Any help is much appreciated:
-----------------------------------------

I've read a lot of great things about Westbrook.

Would any of you mind answering any of the following questions:

Apparently, winters Maine can be long and a bit harsh. Not a problem, I grew up in Michigan. We currently live in Colorado and the weather is quite good, particularly low humidity year round. However, with low humidity, you have dry, dusty land that can be pretty brown and barren. Question: what are your summers like? Obviously, you have higher humidity there than here in CO, but with lower high, we're wondering how comfortable or uncomfortable summers are.

My wife and I really want to find a place with 1.5 acres or more. Out here, property with acreage is at least double the prices we're seeing in your area and because we receive so little rain, again, it isn't real attractive land. We've seen some stuff on line in the greater Portland region and the prices are quite reasonable and the lots are nice. Any opinions on the best sources for finding places like this? We'd like some land for our boys to roam around, etc., grow a nice size garden, etc., but would like to be pretty close to neighbors and town. Again, any suggestions? Any particular realtors you know that specialize in this?

My career backround is pretty mixed; corporate communications, training, staffing & recruiting, and I have management experience of small teams of 2-6. I also served on staff with several churches over the years, so I have leadership experience in these contexts and have worked with all kinds of people in all kinds of situations, crisises, etc. So, as sort of a administrative, management, project management generalist, any opinions on finding work? Any companies or organizations you would suggest I check out?

Finally, the tax question. What are the property taxes like in Westbrook? Do they vary much from town to town in the Portland area? One posting on this site stated that Maine's property taxes were high, but total taxes (sales, state, etc.) weren't that bad compared to other US states. A different posting said just the opposite.

Finally, feel free to share anything else about Westbrook and the general Portland area that comes to mind.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 09:20 AM

973 posts, read 2,381,633 times
The winters in the Portland/Westbrrok area are somewhat milder than inland because of the coastal effect. The air is more damp near the ocean and that makes it seem colder than it really is, but their is a moderation of temp because of the ocean. Further inland and you get the lower temps. Heat in the summer is also moderated by the ocean.
Taxes in Maine are out of control, (at least to those who pay more than they should...I include myself in that category) Westbrook is building a new school, so that will probably impact property taxes there, but that's offset by a great school system (if you have kids).
By in large, Westbrook is a great place to be looking at in my opinion. Real estate there is going to increase in value in the future since it's the last bedroom community near Portland to be developed. The smell of the paper mill in town made it undesirable for years. That's no longer a problem.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:25 AM

23 posts, read 142,321 times
westbrook is an up and coming mill town, not quite as nice as portland, but cheaper. there is less to do in westbrook, far fewer resteraunts, churches, etc... maybe a little less culture. i personally think however that to but now in westbrook is a good idea, if one prefers things a little quieter... only thing about westbrook is the mill is huge, and an eyesore, and there is still remnants of economic reccession there, but this is changing.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:36 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,883 times
Portland area is very nice. The property taxes are high in the more metropolitan areas of the state though. (mil rate for Auburn maine $24/1000 valuation) Coming from Colorado I think the hardest change with respect to weather is there is a lot less sun. This past month it has rained and been cloudy nearly the entire month. Its not uncommen to have weeks of dreary weather. To me when you add that to a long cold winter I am really desperate for clear sunny warm weather.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 7,602 times
Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input. Our decision making will be a process. We have an opportunity to live mortgage/rent free in eastern PA for a while and, if we pursue this opportunity, will be able to make some trips around the greater New England area and check some places out. Nothing like being there.

Obviously, there is no perfect place to live and much of a person's experience of a place originates from the his or her own heart.

Thanks for taking time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area