Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,982 times

Advertisements

My son is probably going on a sailing trip out Portland in August. We will drive him up, and take a 6 day vacation until it is time to pick him up.

I have not been further North than Boston so this area is all new to me.

I have looked online, but it is hard to tell. Here are the basics - this will be a lower budget trip for DH and I (since DS is taking the 'fun' vaca). We are in our mid 40's, like the beach, antiques, shopping (more like Main Street shopping - not mall shopping) and like the outdoors, but not long hikes. We will NOT be getting passports, so we will not go into Canada. I DO want to see a moose .

Is there a good place that we could call home base and do day trips? Or should we plan to move around some - which is fine with me! I was thinking of some sort of cabin experience, but it must be fully equipped.

Thanks in advance for any trip ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 09:50 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
I am a big fan of bed and breakfasts. There is a great one in Springfield called "Springfield Tyme". Yes, that's how they spell it. Old traditional Maine country home with tin ceilings and it has been completely updated while preserving original features. They serve awesome breakfasts and the cost is very reasonable. It's a couple of hours from Baxter Park which is moose watching heaven.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:49 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Here's a link for Springfield Tyme

Springfield Tyme Bed & Breakfast in Springfield, Maine - Business Profile at City-data.com

Old 04-29-2008, 11:28 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Since you want to see moose and have about 6 days - you might think about heading up to Greenville - Moosehead lake area. You could visit the coast along the way after dropping your son off. Greenville is about 75 miles north of Bangor up Rt. 15. There is the Greenville Inn there which is nice. I can recommend Camden for some fun shopping and an easy hike up Mt. Battie right there in Camden. Also Camden has some great Inns but some can be pricey.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:43 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
You can have fun shopping around the small coastal towns from Brunswick north. August is still the height of tourist season so save your pennies now as room rates will be considerably higher that time of the year. Take Route One from Brunswick and follow "The Coastal Route". First stop for the night should be Boothbay Harbor. It's a pretty little town with ample restaurants,unique shops, a beautiful harbor filled with piers, and a nice wooden walking bridge that spans the upper part of the harbor. Check out the little candy shop that makes salt water taffy and peanut butter kisses right on the warf. If you like you can take a short cruise around the bay on a sight seeing boat of if you're looking for an adventure take a ride on one of the whale watching boats and watch the humpbacks as they migrate through the gulf of Maine. The second day you might get back on Route one again heading north toward Camden. There are lots of little towns along the way to grab breakfast or lunch There are loads of antique shops to browse, and a few road side attractions that may surprise you. Try to stay in the Rockland or Rockport area as rooms here will generally be less expensive than Camden or just north of Camden.
Day three Drive up Mt. Battie to the overlook Camden Harbor. By far the prettiest harbor in Maine and very picturesque. Spend some time in Camden with it's little shops and restaurants. You may find you'll spend an extra day in this area ....it really is nice. Check out the "Windjammer" sailing ships as they come and go in the harbor. Leaving Camden drive north to route 7 in Belfast and drive toward Newport.
Take the Moosehead trail route 7 to Dexter then route 23 to Guilford and finally routes 6 and 15 to Greenville. If you plan it right you should be in Greenville before dusk. Take a drive up the west side of Moosehead lake on route 6 and 15 to Rockwood right around dusk and I guarantee you will see at least one moose. Turn around and head back to Greenville for the night and enjoy the peacefulness of the lake and the friendly Greenville folks in one of the several eateries around the town. Day five head back to Newport where you can pick up I-95 South back to Portland. Check out one or two of the hundreds of restaurants in the city and watch the ships move in and out of her deep water port. Have fun!

Old 04-29-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Since you want to see moose and have about 6 days - you might think about heading up to Greenville - Moosehead lake area. You could visit the coast along the way after dropping your son off. Greenville is about 75 miles north of Bangor up Rt. 15. There is the Greenville Inn there which is nice. I can recommend Camden for some fun shopping and an easy hike up Mt. Battie right there in Camden. Also Camden has some great Inns but some can be pricey.
Great minds think alike!

Old 04-29-2008, 01:36 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,982 times
Thank you for all your help!
I have heard that Maine is beautiful, so we are looking forward to visiting.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Thank you for all your help!
I have heard that Maine is beautiful, so we are looking forward to visiting.
You're welcome. Should you decide to come it might be a good idea to book rooms in the towns you're interested in visiting in advance. Hotels and Motels fill up quickly that time of year and you may find yourself a long way from where you want to be seeking a room for the night. If you're in to roughing it there a number of campgrounds along the routes I described earlier. We used to throw a tent in the car "just in case" when we traveled around the state in the summer. It saved us more than once when we couldn't find a room nearby or just didn't want to drive out of our way too far.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:52 PM

502 posts, read 1,735,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
My son is probably going on a sailing trip out Portland in August. We will drive him up, and take a 6 day vacation until it is time to pick him up.

I have not been further North than Boston so this area is all new to me.

I have looked online, but it is hard to tell. Here are the basics - this will be a lower budget trip for DH and I (since DS is taking the 'fun' vaca). We are in our mid 40's, like the beach, antiques, shopping (more like Main Street shopping - not mall shopping) and like the outdoors, but not long hikes. We will NOT be getting passports, so we will not go into Canada. I DO want to see a moose .

Is there a good place that we could call home base and do day trips? Or should we plan to move around some - which is fine with me! I was thinking of some sort of cabin experience, but it must be fully equipped.

Thanks in advance for any trip ideas!
Mainah has some excellant suggestions. Route 1 north of brunswick is just the ticket. Freeport has LL Bean and MANY shops. Prices for rooms though will be high that time of year anyplace. You should see moose in Greenville, and heading across rt 16 to Jackman, then south on 201 to skowhegan will find again MANY moose. Rangeley is a wonderful wilderness town with many moose too, and rt 117 ( i think ) south over the height of land gives some wonderful mountain views. Bethal is a nice town, and rt 113 goes through a mountain pass and over to North conway NH which is full of shops - tax free too. From their route 302 takes you back to portland through bridgton and naples. Can't go wrong with any of these locations.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:30 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
The Greenville and Milinocket/Baxter Park areas are two great places to visit and see moose. The Rangely Lake area is another. If you really serious about seeing moose the key is to be up and about at sunrise as the moose are moving about at that time and also at dusk.

Just drive around until you see a bunch of cars parked irradically on the side of the road or more likely parked right on the road. You have come upon a moose-jam. Park off the road and check it out. If you somehow miss seeing one you can go to the Maine Wildlife Park in Gray about 30 min northwest of Portland.

This is one of my fav moose pics. It was fall, during rut, and we had been photographing this guy all morning as he chased two cow moose unsuccessfully and he was pissed. As far as I know only a couple of people have been killed by a moose but they will charge you, especially a pissed off bull in rut. At one point he charged out of the brush out onto the road and it really looked for a couple of minutes he was going to charge the RV. A few seconds before I pressed down on the shutter the people in the RV rushed to get inside as the bull go closer. Notice how the RV is parked right on the road.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 05-05-2008 at 10:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area