U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 02:51 PM

29 posts, read 99,841 times

Advertisements

Every couple years my wife and I start talking about the possibility of moving back up north. We live in central Florida now, and have for about 12 years. We both grew up in NJ. The subject came up again and this time it seems we both really want to do it. I have always been drawn to New England, infact my family tree goes back to Auburn ME back to 1700's. I feel like Im being pulled there for some reason!

We now have 2 girls, ages 7 and 8. They have never played in the snow, or been in weather colder than 40 degrees. I think they would LOVE it there.

My wife really wants to be near "civilization" she loves to shop (suprise) wants there to be a mall and other shopping areas, and things and places to take the kids to. Of course good school system, although Florida being at the lower end of the nations school system list, I think any school in the NE is better than here.

So I have kind of focused in on the Portland area, mainly because I know I could get a job there. I am a factory trained Toyota master auto technician and could easily get a job at any Toyota or Lexus dealer which I just found out are looking for help.

Other than shopping, the other main concern my wife has is "Exactly how bad does it get in the winter there?" which seems to be the first thing anyone says when you mention Maine. Usually people who have never lived there.

So if I could just have some thoughts about the Portland and surrounding areas, we would appreciate it.

BTW, Portland being a large city, is it the type of city with a bad side? are there ghettos and gangs and that sort of thing in Maine?

Thanks!

David
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 02:57 PM

5,054 posts, read 11,925,048 times
You may consider the Bangor area instead of Portland. Your wife will find plenty of shopping there, you will find wonderful schools and much cheaper housing than in Portland. Not to say that the schools in Portland aren't great - they're better than most in the country, but will find the same true throughout the state of Maine. Bangor is just a more "small town" kind of city, but still with all the amenities a city dweller craves.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:51 PM

145 posts, read 325,990 times
Smile thinking about Portland area too! Maybe Manchester,New Hampshire

Hi there, I live in a suburb of Atlanta and I could have wrote your blog! I grew up in Brooklyn , NY and want my kids to know what snow is - I am also thinking about Portland. I think we are going to visit and see...

Old 08-28-2007, 04:40 PM

29 posts, read 99,841 times
I sent you a message, please stay in touch if you can.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:41 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,470,106 times
Bangor does have good schools and the housing is cheaper. But only having spent little time in Bangor to me there is no comparison. Portland has real vibe to it being a city on the bay with tons of locally owned cafe's and cofee houses. And you do not have to live IN Portland. Falmouth, Cumberland, Cape Elizabeth, and Yarmouth are all close to the city and have excellent schools. I believe Cape Elizabeth has the highest test scores in the state. Anyways Portland has some bad area's that could be considered Ghetto's but they are in no way like any thing you would see down there. And you have to consider that the city itself is only 65k population.

Portland will have more employment opportunities, better choices of flights out of Maine and not to mention you also have Boston Logan and Manchester airports.

P.S. I live in Auburn......... Move to Portland!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:44 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,470,106 times
Also. I forgot to say that you still can live IN Portland if you choose. Taxes a little higher but the city has some great neighborhoods and the schools are fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area