U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 06:06 PM

8 posts, read 32,086 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'm a single girl in my early 20s. I desperately need a change of scenery. I visited Maine a few years back and adored it.

My two main concerns are jobs and safety. I'm a paralegal. I'm willing to work other jobs as long as I can make enough to support myself, but I'd really love to land a job in the legal field. Anyone know how the legal job market is doing?

Safety may seem like a silly concern moving to Maine, but I just want to make sure there aren't any particular areas of Portland I should avoid.

What are the winters like? I'm not a fan of winter, but I've lived my whole life in the Twin Cities, and I'm pretty sure this is as bad as winter gets anywhere in the country. My understanding is that Maine has more of a wet winter. Lots of snow and really damp. I just hate the dryness of Minnesota winters, so I'd be O.K. with the extra snow as long as there's a little humidity in the air.

Lastly, do you think it's a good place for a young professional to relocate to? I'm done with the partying part of my life. I'm really just looking to find a place to start a career and settle down.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 07:15 AM

354 posts, read 638,013 times
Hello! I grew up just outside Minneapolis, although it's been awhile since I've been back. My husband and I have lived in several midwestern cities and have been in Portland, Maine, for the last year and a half.

Weather: Portland winters are a bit milder than winters in the Twin Cities, but there is more snow/wet weather here. The wind can be brutal, though, especially near the water. The summers are beautiful and oh so comfortable compared with the Midwest, but summer takes a while to show up. Very few people have or need AC -- so open windows and fresh air all summer long.

Job scene for YP: Forbes named Portland one of the top cities for young professionals, mostly due to the large number of small businesses here. I am not familiar with the legal field job market, but because Portland is Maine's main city, there are a lot of lawyers here, for what it's worth. I always seem to be running into attorneys.

Safety: Portland and all of Maine are very safe. I love being able to walk home from downtown at night and feel completely safe walking down the street. Sure, there are some petty crimes now and then, but violent crimes are very few and far between. Most neighborhoods on the Portland peninsula are very safe, but I would check out the West End and Munjoy Hill (my neighborhood).

Portland has a cool vibe, but it is a small city that feels more like a town -- much, much smaller than Minneapolis/St. Paul. Young people looking for a lot of excitement may get bored, but I find there is plenty to do here, both culturally and recreationally.

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2011, 06:28 PM

6 posts, read 23,299 times
We love Southern Coastal Maine and its close proximity to everything. You may want to look into the Portsmouth NH area which borders the southern tip of Maine. Portsmouth is very much like Portland, vibrant and trendy. New Hampshire has no sales tax and the cost of living is easier to deal with especially with grocery stores. There are also lovely beaches in coastal NH. Good luck.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:53 AM

8 posts, read 32,086 times
Thank you both som much for responding! I've looked at so many places to live around the country, but I keep coming back to Maine. And joyewils, a will look into Potsmouth, thanks for the suggestion!

Old 01-01-2012, 01:01 PM

45,810 posts, read 20,854,502 times
I was retired before I moved to Maine.....so I cant advise about employment oppurtunity....but I can say that I love living in Southern Maine....and Portland is the best little city I have ever lived near.....I love to go into town.....great museum, symphony, parks, walks, restaurants....people. It is a very congenial spot. Good Luck to you!

Old 01-06-2012, 05:23 PM

404 posts, read 739,740 times
go to Jobsinme.com and enter paralegal and 04101 for the zip. You'll see listings for paralegals in Portland. Pierce Atwood is a very big firm in Portland but also consider the staffing listings, sometimes they are an easier way in when moving from out of state. Good luck and I think you'll like portland, I do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area