Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:25 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamurphy View Post
Just curious as to whether certain areas of the greater Portland area can be divided along party lines. I mean, is it possible to describe certain areas in or around Portland as Democratic and others as Republican?

I saw mention of some areas described as mostly "Republican," so I thought I'd ask.
I lived in Portland for three years and I do not recall any one particular "Republican" or "Democrat" area....although it seems that most of the city is Dem...even the rednecks. In one hand, there is a definite granola vibe, although not exactly hippy. In the other, there is a type of crusty fisherman vibe, too, especially with the oldies. As had been mentioned, there is a big live-and-let-live mentality and no one truly talks about religion or politics. However, I would guess Westbrook harbors more Republicans.

mainebrokerman--people have a tendency to vote for the candidate who would most likely allow them to continue their lifestyle/livelihood. My dad was a Conservative and small-business owner. Reganomics really pissed him off (as they never trickled down to him)...so he began to vote Dem out of spite. I worked as a union steel-worker for a few years. Most of those dudes are hard-core pro-American Conservative...but they are in a union and so they tend to vote Dem as the Dems would preserve/respect their union and a Repub would bust it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 09:50 AM

12,839 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I lived in Portland for three years and I do not recall any one particular "Republican" or "Democrat" area....although it seems that most of the city is Dem...even the rednecks. In one hand, there is a definite granola vibe, although not exactly hippy. In the other, there is a type of crusty fisherman vibe, too, especially with the oldies. As had been mentioned, there is a big live-and-let-live mentality and no one truly talks about religion or politics. However, I would guess Westbrook harbors more Republicans.
I'd definitely agree with this. I'd say it's a stretch to call Portland the "Berkeley" of the East." Portland doesn't come off as extreme left as places like Burlington VT, Northampton MA, Cambridge MA, Providence RI, Newport RI, Provincetown MA, etc.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:46 PM

643 posts, read 1,485,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I lived in Portland for three years and I do not recall any one particular "Republican" or "Democrat" area....although it seems that most of the city is Dem...even the rednecks.
Exactly. The dems in Maine are not necessarily liberal (seldom are they progressive outside of Portland) and the Republicans are not necessarily conservative. All stereotypes and bets are off.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Maine doesn't have the polarizations that much of the rest of the country have. Here, both parties can still live together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Portland is the "Berkeley of the East"
Is no where near being compared to Berkeley.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
If you were a doctor looking to join a practice where would you go? Portland Maine or Portsmouth/Concord/Keene/Hanover NH?

Been scouting around the area, hard to decide. Cape Elizabeth is nice, but almost as expensive as the nicer areas of NH, plus higher taxes and lower income. Who the heck affords the mean home prices in Portland given the meager median salaries and job crunch? Maine does hold a more special place in my heart than NH though.

I'm pretty indifferent to politics but I also don't believe massive government spending is the answer. Independent all my life.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:33 AM

404 posts, read 777,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
If you were a doctor looking to join a practice where would you go? Portland Maine or Portsmouth/Concord/Keene/Hanover NH?

Been scouting around the area, hard to decide. Cape Elizabeth is nice, but almost as expensive as the nicer areas of NH, plus higher taxes and lower income. Who the heck affords the mean home prices in Portland given the meager median salaries and job crunch? Maine does hold a more special place in my heart than NH though.

I'm pretty indifferent to politics but I also don't believe massive government spending is the answer. Independent all my life.
To answer your question, Cape Elizabeth. Real estate taxes are lower than NH. There are nice median priced houses..... they aren't all on shore Rd. There are actually a couple Nice Practices here in Cape. I'm a patron of one and I believe Maine is always looking for Doctors. Plus if your independent I think Maine is where you belong! We had a recent Independent Gubernatorial candidate from cape who almost won and we will have an independent senate candidate running for Olympia Snows seat. Lastly, Like you, I chose Maine because its special to me. I have a history here and family upstate. I'm new to Cape ELizabeth but I can't believe what a wonderful place I've landed in! Nice community, beautiful parks, I frequent the Portland Headlight every day all weather, where I walk my dog. the community is civic and neighborhood minded ans supportive. Stores are nice...not over run with mega malls and strip centers. Great resturants and close to downtown portland! We have Farms, horses, a sand beach, a rocky coast lighthouses, resturants.....need I say more?

Old 05-09-2012, 12:40 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrixwolfe View Post
To answer your question, Cape Elizabeth. Real estate taxes are lower than NH. There are nice median priced houses..... they aren't all on shore Rd. There are actually a couple Nice Practices here in Cape. I'm a patron of one and I believe Maine is always looking for Doctors. Plus if your independent I think Maine is where you belong! We had a recent Independent Gubernatorial candidate from cape who almost won and we will have an independent senate candidate running for Olympia Snows seat. Lastly, Like you, I chose Maine because its special to me. I have a history here and family upstate. I'm new to Cape ELizabeth but I can't believe what a wonderful place I've landed in! Nice community, beautiful parks, I frequent the Portland Headlight every day all weather, where I walk my dog. the community is civic and neighborhood minded ans supportive. Stores are nice...not over run with mega malls and strip centers. Great resturants and close to downtown portland! We have Farms, horses, a sand beach, a rocky coast lighthouses, resturants.....need I say more?
Hah, you think just like me.... I did my training in Chicago and Dallas, I'm so sick of mega malls and strip centers, and crowds in general. A beautiful coast, tree lined roads and a real civic atmosphere are worth a lot more to me.

I lived in the area when I was a toddler, always wanted to go back. My only real concern is the future trajectory of Maine. Some of my relatives there are saying that the job market is really bleak and their kids are all leaving the state for jobs. Makes me hesitate a little, since I plan to settle down for a few decades while the kids grow up. NH seems a little more competitive and economically vibrant, and globally connected via Boston? Doesn't matter that much for myself, more just thinking of future global competition and not wanting the kids to be too out of the loop to that. But I hear schools on Cape Elizabeth are quite good.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:33 PM

404 posts, read 777,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Hah, you think just like me.... I did my training in Chicago and Dallas, I'm so sick of mega malls and strip centers, and crowds in general. A beautiful coast, tree lined roads and a real civic atmosphere are worth a lot more to me.

I lived in the area when I was a toddler, always wanted to go back. My only real concern is the future trajectory of Maine. Some of my relatives there are saying that the job market is really bleak and their kids are all leaving the state for jobs. Makes me hesitate a little, since I plan to settle down for a few decades while the kids grow up. NH seems a little more competitive and economically vibrant, and globally connected via Boston? Doesn't matter that much for myself, more just thinking of future global competition and not wanting the kids to be too out of the loop to that. But I hear schools on Cape Elizabeth are quite good.
Maine as you know is a big state, and Portland is not as bad off as job wise as other parts of the state. It really all depends on the industry, Medical and IT are doing really well, actually. One question is do you want your family to grow up in shopping centers and strip malls or one of the best school systems in this state, with the added benefits and beauty of this area. Not knocking NH, just don't discount Maine on heresay. My company and others like it offer internships and scholarships to students of the maine state school system, the state offers tax incentives to students who graduate from a maine university and stay in maine to work.. My daughter is currently attending Umaine, and while she will go away for graduate school, I believe she'll be back or not too far away....or not, she'll be a grown person by then. Really no matter what state you live in you can't expect your children to stay. Its not as bleak a picture as they like to paint it. Best of luck where ever you choose, but be sure to visit and check it out, its Southern maine, its not very far from NH, and MA, but it feels like maine when your here!! And it certainly is not a depressed area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area