U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-08-2012, 10:11 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,971 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi

I will be moving to portland maine in three months i was wondering if anyone have any tips and information on places to live visit work etc.,,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2012, 12:28 AM
 
Location: Scranton, PA
10 posts, read 17,787 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by coneim View Post
Hi

I will be moving to portland maine in three months i was wondering if anyone have any tips and information on places to live visit work etc.,,
just wondering, did you get there? what has your experience been since moving? I'm relocating in Oct (2012) and looking to hear from as many recent transplants as possible =) where did you move there from?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
1,031 posts, read 2,329,718 times
Reputation: 745
Not too many people visit this sub-forum so you may want to ask again on the regular Maine forum. Tip #1: DO NOT move here without a job or a family member/friend to rely upon until you get one. Jobs are very hard to come by in Maine and you can be looking at a very dismal living coming to Maine in the winter. Many natives are out of work and it is very hard to find employment when people's friends and neighbors can't even find jobs. In the best case scenario you could live with family who are already established in Maine and work with an employment agency to get placed somewhere. (Bonney Staffing will not work with out-of-staters and they seem to offer the most jobs.) Besides that, your best bet is to submit a lot of resumes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2012, 05:27 AM
 
193 posts, read 600,545 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Not too many people visit this sub-forum so you may want to ask again on the regular Maine forum. Tip #1: DO NOT move here without a job or a family member/friend to rely upon until you get one. Jobs are very hard to come by in Maine and you can be looking at a very dismal living coming to Maine in the winter. Many natives are out of work and it is very hard to find employment when people's friends and neighbors can't even find jobs. In the best case scenario you could live with family who are already established in Maine and work with an employment agency to get placed somewhere. (Bonney Staffing will not work with out-of-staters and they seem to offer the most jobs.) Besides that, your best bet is to submit a lot of resumes.
Does your DO NOT warning apply to low paying jobs also, such as service industry jobs ... grocery, coffee shops, etc.?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2012, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Log "cabin" west of Bangor
7,018 posts, read 8,355,027 times
Reputation: 15453
Quote:
Originally Posted by yohynot View Post
Does your DO NOT warning apply to low paying jobs also, such as service industry jobs ... grocery, coffee shops, etc.?
If you are willing to work [hard], have more than half a brain, and are not picky about what kind of work, there are opportunities available. If you are SOS ('Stuck On Status' or 'Stuck On Stupid') it might be somewhat more difficult. Once you get your foot in the door somewhere, you can work up from there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2012, 01:40 AM
 
Location: Scranton, PA
10 posts, read 17,787 times
Reputation: 13
of course I have not gotten to Maine yet, so I can't know for sure, but since Craigslist is FULL of jobs available in the Portland area, it looks like I could apply for at least 50 jobs right off the bat.... I am always hearing people say there are no jobs everywhere, but retail jobs, hotel jobs, office jobs, food service jobs, always available.... I wonder if what limits it is hours worked or benefits offered or maybe it's just the concept of working for ten dollars an hour? Where I am currently living (trying to escape) ten dollars an hour is considered a good paying job.... also if you don't have to pay for three hundred dollars a month worth of credit card payments or I guess if you have to support five children on one income, that would be too low.... but it's a better job market from what I'm seeing than a lot of the nation
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top