U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2007, 12:28 PM

323 posts, read 909,994 times

Advertisements

We went through it on our way to Higgins Beach and it looked really nice. Any info on Scarborough? Schools? What the community is like? What the weather is like close to the coast? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 09:24 PM
cji

11 posts, read 39,763 times
Thanks for asking the question - also seeking this info. as we are getting ready to relo to Maine from RI.

Read fairly good info on schools. On a scale of 10 they come in at 8,9,10. Our Realtor said the east part of town is nice. Have yet to get there, beyond, realtor.com to see for ourselves. Will share more as we do. Please do the same.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:42 PM

16 posts, read 52,431 times
Last summer we drove around Scarborough neighborhoods quite a bit because a realtor recommended it. I think we liked the eastern side best, right next to Cape Elizabeth. We also liked Cape a lot and my husband wants to live there. (We move next summer.) As far as the weather goes, I know it is milder than the Twin Cities! It is also milder than central Maine, where I grew up. Though there is snow in the winter in southern Maine, it rains and sleets a lot too. In central Maine we would get more snow.

Sorry I can't offer more information. I would also be interested to hear about schools and how they compare to Cape Elizabeth schools, for example. I know you can see school comparisons on several different sites but it doesn't tell you a lot.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:36 PM

144 posts, read 78,302 times
I am very familiar with the Scarborough schools and think very highly of the district. Excellent facilities, family friendly with active parents, many resources for teachers and students, rich curriculum and top-notch special education and support services for students. I think that if you visit our schools, you will be pleased. Scarborough is a great place to live.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:52 PM

Thanks for that info!

Old 09-11-2007, 09:46 PM
cji

11 posts, read 39,763 times
I second the thanks for the info winnfarm1947. I think one of my big concerns/questions is regarding the impact that RT1 has in the town, and during the summer. Some of the "myths" I have come across are:

Crazy traffic
Too much growth
Becoming a small city
Strip mall approach on RT1

Welcome your input.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:33 PM

104 posts, read 316,168 times
Excellent schools and community. They are always on the up and up. It is a very affluent community. My friend teaches at Scarborough Middle (10 years) and she loves it. Awesome kids!!!
Good luck.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:36 PM

10,223 posts, read 16,089,098 times
Outstanding schools. Anything on the water or with water visible will be very expensive. Those folks pay the high taxes. Property west of I-95 is more reasonable. If you can find a bungalow or small ranch your taxes will be low and your kids will still be in great schoools.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:59 AM

I am looking at Auburn Maine because I have a friend that lives there and I love the neighborhood. But we thought if we are going to move it would be great to live close to the beach. My husband is interested in acreage so we can have animals, he lived on a ranch for 25 years and now we are in track housing in Scottsdale and that is a big change. My kids have a great elementary school and have been learning Spanish since 1st grade. I have a 4th grader and 2nd grader and we have invested a lot of time into the second language learning. Does Maine offer anything like this? We would like to get out of this rat race, and Maine is where we want to get to. Our family thinks we are crazy because we will freeze our buns off and take their only grandkids far away from them. I have heard nothing but great things about the Maine school system, that is good to know. Jobs will be a factor, looking every week. Thanks for all the info it's appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area