Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:24 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times

Advertisements

That row of homes facing the Eastern Promenade is amazing. The most beautiful bunch of homes I have ever seen. The view from there is the best in Portland IMHO. The elementary school on the Back Cove end had to be demolished because of mold problems but the new one has finally been built and it looks great. My friends who live on MH love living there as I am sure you will as well.

I have spent many hours photographing the area plus one of the fav things the wife and I do is get some take out Thai food at this Thai Market off of Brighton and enjoy it at the EP and then walk the pathway along the ocean into downtown...it's really not all that far.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 09-15-2007 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 11:58 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
we have the "Milo Farmers Union" which is an IGA, some great local farms and a dairy all local. We don't have "Whole Foods" or "Wild Oats" but we do avoid any hydrogenated fats, refined or processed foods. We supplement protiens from beans, and lentils to cut back on our meat intake as well. Bangor has the "Natural Living Center" where we pick up some supplements and whole grains and things. It's a good sized store.

msina, how do you like maine so far??
been out to the five star restaurant pats pizza in milo yet?? (pats pizza is an institution in maine,,nothing spectacular,,theyve just been around for a long time,,think orono was thier first,)(i like thier foods)
have you driven up the road thru brownville junction,,towards millinocket?? quite a scenic road if i remember right,,
have you visited mount katadhin area?? baxter state park?

milo's farmers union,isnt a bad store,,..was in there a few yrs ago,,they are supplied by a wholesaler out of conneticut called bozzutos) (unless they buy local,,which i hope they do)

one of my all-time favorite stores is in dexter , called p&L country market, if you are in the area, stop by, on the dexter/corinna line just about a mile south of mainstreet(dexter)
they seem to have the best of what i like, at a great price!!

Old 09-15-2007, 12:14 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
HI MBM! I'm from Milford so I'm partial to the Pat's in Orono, have a girlfriend that's worked there for years (hi Laurie ). The MFU stocks whatever they can get locally and the people are nice. we've also been to Wymans farm (fresh produce) and Hartlands farm (for butter cheese and eggs). We have people up in Millinocket that we've known forever, and there's a quilting guild in Brownville Junction I'm hoping to get into when I have a little more spare time. There's also a Shaws in Dover/Foxcroft as well as a Shop n Save (Edwards). End of next week I'm going down to Caswells with a friend, then out to the farm (think it's in Corinth) to pick up dried beans. I'm hoping to pick up a coupla bushels of tow-maters (as my grandson likes to call 'em) for canning and still need to get a coupla bushels of apples. Lots to do before we settle in for wintah. I love being home.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:22 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
HI MBM! I'm from Milford so I'm partial to the Pat's in Orono, have a girlfriend that's worked there for years (hi Laurie ). The MFU stocks whatever they can get locally and the people are nice. we've also been to Wymans farm (fresh produce) and Hartlands farm (for butter cheese and eggs). We have people up in Millinocket that we've known forever, and there's a quilting guild in Brownville Junction I'm hoping to get into when I have a little more spare time. There's also a Shaws in Dover/Foxcroft as well as a Shop n Save (Edwards). End of next week I'm going down to Caswells with a friend, then out to the farm (think it's in Corinth) to pick up dried beans. I'm hoping to pick up a coupla bushels of tow-maters (as my grandson likes to call 'em) for canning and still need to get a coupla bushels of apples. Lots to do before we settle in for wintah. I love being home.
im sorry ,,,forgot you were here before..
be careful at caswells (in waterville) ive been in there before,,, if the product is clearly unopened, or frozen,,,you might be ok,,, dont buy any fresh meat!

they are a food dump-site,,,,that wholesalers call,,if they have anything questionable or outdated,(ive seen this firsthand)
the dry or canned goods may be fine,,,,
ive been there just a couple times,, and thats the mardens of foodstores!

Old 09-15-2007, 12:24 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
How right you are! I go to Caswells mostly for paper goods and cleaners though I do sometimes pick up some canned goods. Bought some great boots there a few years back also

Old 09-15-2007, 12:55 PM

136 posts, read 327,549 times
momto5

What a beautiful home! Thanks for posting the tour. I love the stairway and the curved hall, too. Older homes have so much wonderful character.

We live in an urban area of St. Paul and if we move I'd like a little more space. Our lot is 40x120 and I'd love a bigger yard, and 1200 square feet for 5 of us doesn't feel like a whole lot (we have 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, but all of the rooms in the house are tiny, like our galley kitchen). It seems like North Deering is a bit more suburban feeling, with larger lots. I love walking to everything (stores, doctors, library, park, etc) so we'll see what we can find if we get to that point.

Congratulations on your beautiful home! You are very lucky to be living in such a lovely city and amazing state.
Best of luck to you!

Old 09-15-2007, 01:13 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Beautiful house in a great city in the best state! How lucky you are!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area