Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 02:53 PM

19 posts, read 46,264 times

Advertisements

Hey. I'm trying to plan a trip to bring my Mom to visit Maine for say, a weekend or so...none of those involved have ever been, so we're totally planning from scratch.
Haven't set a specific date yet, so have some questions, if anyone can help me out!
1. What's the best season to visit the Portland area, would you say? I was thinking late Sept (Mom's B-day is then), since she'd love to see the foliage, & we're not really looking to swim...Is end of Sept. a more expensive time than, say, Summer? Also, are there places to view Fall leaves close enough to Portland?

2. We are looking to find the cheapest place to stay, probably, since we don't have a lot of money, & would rather use our funds on doing stuff, eating out, etc., & save on lodging...Any recommendations near Portland, or thereabouts? I'm looking online of course, but was just wondering if anyone's has any input anyway...

3. Ok, best place for Lobster?! I'm sure there are all sorts of opinions...Trying to find a place that maybe there'd be a Lobster stand, or some sort of thing? Restaurant works too, though..(know nothing about the area, heh).
I read on a forum that there is a food place on 'commercial street' with a deck & everything, but the forum info was a few years old...anyone know what that might be referring to, & if it's still there?

4. If we visit in late Sept.--what is the weather usually like?

Any info/help would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 06:04 PM

404 posts, read 777,603 times
Late September is a nice time. Price will be the same as its height of tourist season. If your looking to keep the prices Low, you might want to consider some place other than Portland. Portland hotels are expensive and very crowded with cruise ships. I love portland, be sure to visit there and freeport as well.....but in looking for a place to stay you might want to stay outside portland. Use trip advisor and google maps and look around. Check out Boothbay Harbor, Camden or Rockland or scarborough down near pine point beach Sometimes a week long rental house is is cheaper than a hotel, because you can save on breakfasts and lunches and then have a few nice dinners or lunches out....check out VRBO.com
Lots of great lobster places.....again Tripadvisor is a good resource.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:13 PM

19 posts, read 46,264 times
Thanks for the advice!
After checking, it does seem like that's tourist season...is October usually cheaper?

Also, are there still pretty leaves around in October?
I really have no idea of the best time to come, since I know nothing about the State, heh, but I know we'd rather not visit in the heat of Summer...

Old 06-02-2012, 07:24 AM

48,110 posts, read 21,990,299 times
Late September into early to mid October are good for seeing the foliage. People get hung up on determining when is the leaves are at "peak"....in actuality....fall (like spring) is a progression...it happens slowly and over a matter of time....as some leaves are passing.....others are coming into their glory! October is a wonder season to be in Maine.....(the tourists have thinned out...so the coastal roads are less crowded, the beaches less so too and after labor dayl..much cheaper....harvest bounty is at the roadside stands....the heat and humidity of summer has pretty much passed. Cool evenings and crisp dry sunny days. If I were to be picking a time to come to Maine it would either be from late April thru June....or Late September into October. and probably the later!

Have a wonder vacation and welcome to Maine. Take it slow, breath, let Maine work its magic on you.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:57 PM

861 posts, read 1,147,116 times
We visited last September-early October and only saw a few signs of leaves turning. I would suggest mid-October if you can make it then. But it doesn't really matter because everything else around the Portland area was great regardless of the color of the leaves.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:39 PM

I will go along with TerryDactyls time table but would note that the earliest signs of fall....are the swamp maples turning and that sometimes starts unusually early.....the sumacs get started and it takes well over a month before the Maples have run their course and then ash and much later oaks.....and the gilded and coppery beach go on and on and on....and hang in till spring.....and if you move about the state north and south and coastal to interior areas.....elevation water levels, stressors etc.....its all different. Hard to pick a time with any certainty.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:06 PM

570 posts, read 1,339,492 times
I like this place. And the view is great!

:: Welcome :: The Lobster Shack at Two Lights

Old 06-08-2012, 03:35 PM

The view is great!!!!! Amazing!!! But the lines to get into the parking lot were discouraging and then the lines to get to order food were horrendous. We left. It must be a little better before Memorial Day and after Labor Day.

There was an article in the paper of the passing of the founder....but the restaurant will stay in the family. (It must be a gold mine!)

Old 06-08-2012, 05:14 PM

570 posts, read 1,339,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The view is great!!!!! Amazing!!! But the lines to get into the parking lot were discouraging and then the lines to get to order food were horrendous. We left. It must be a little better before Memorial Day and after Labor Day.

There was an article in the paper of the passing of the founder....but the restaurant will stay in the family. (It must be a gold mine!)
Excellent point. The lines were crazy every time we have been there. I think my fond memories of the view blocked that from my memory .

And I bet you're right, it must be a gold mine. I always wonder how the people living in the houses right across the street feel about the place. I would think it would drive them nuts. Almost makes me feel guilty for going there.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:22 PM

For views....I love to go to Two Lights Park and to the walk on Prout's Neck....then I can do lobster at home or at some other seafood venue..usually at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area