Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:41 AM

10 posts, read 41,405 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to the Portland area from Berkeley CA and have been thinking seriously about Cape Elizabeth for school quality. One question that we haven't been able to figure out from afar is what the feel of the town is like. It appears that there are many modest homes in Cape, but I read many descriptions of it as "wealthy" and "exclusive." We are hoping for a friendly place with a strong sense of community and commitment to schools, but not a wealth-conscious country club. Would Cape be a good fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 11:54 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
Depends on where in Cape E you end up living. The parts of it along the shore are very upscale and expensive. Away from the water you'll find more moderately priced homes and the people who buy them. Cape E has a tony image, but I know people who have lived there all their adult lives who work as shipfitters and clerks. The school system is consistently rated among the best in Maine, but that comes at the cost of some pretty hefty property taxes. IIRC Cape E has such a high valuation that it doesn't qualify for much state aid for its school costs.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:21 PM

124 posts, read 733,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcsmidwife View Post
not a wealth-conscious country club. Would Cape be a good fit?
My family geneology has lived in Cape for three generations, and it has changed from a mixed bag to a upperclass-only Country Club. There are virtually no rentals-unless you want to rent a 3BR house. The school system is good because there are no kids from lower income families.

Can you keep up with the Joneses?.. Cape is also a majority Republican, and thinking about how you're from Berkeley-you may not appreciate that.
CAPE IS THE DEFINITION OF TONY.
My parents house there is worth something like $2 million cause of the view. They bought it twenty-five years ago for $400,000. Some consider Cape people similar to the people in Fairfield County, CT like Darien and Greenwich.

For good schools.. What about Gorham Yarmouth or Scarborough? Most outlying areas lean Republican, but almost all other towns are less Tony than Cape.

Last edited by investtt; 10-01-2007 at 03:03 PM..

Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Wow, I feel really old? "tony?" Somebody help this old fossil!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Cape ELizabeth - how tony?

I guess what I'm asking is how wealthy/exclusive Cape Elizabeth feels. There is certainly got some significant wealth in Berkeley - even a small house in a transitional neighborhood will sell for 600-700,000. However, Berkeley is kind of a comfortable, schleppy sort of a place.
As I look at real estate postings, I think that we'd be looking at houses in Cape in the 300-350 range. Nice, but not fancy or on private beaches. Does that put us in the "poor" category? It seemed to me when we drove around town that there were plenty of regular looking family homes, so the description of town as "wealthy" seemed at odds with what I saw. But then, I don't have a frame of reference for the town, don't know how it's changed over the years.

Basically, I'd like my kids to grow up someplace where the community puts a strong value on education, but that there is not so much money floating around that life gets out of whack. What other places should we check out? What are South Portland schools like?

Old 10-02-2007, 07:38 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
You should be fine in Cape ELizabeth! Never heard the word "tony" to describe it!!

Those fortunate to have real estate on the shore are worth much ( due to the value of their homes)- but their everyday life styles are for the most part like everyone elses.

The schools are strong and there is a lot of local pride in the schools- esp the High School sports teams.

You will find people in Cape Elizabeth a lot less pretentious than you imagine

Old 10-02-2007, 06:37 PM

124 posts, read 733,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcsmidwife View Post
I guess what I'm asking is how wealthy/exclusive Cape Elizabeth feels. There is certainly got some significant wealth in Berkeley - even a small house in a transitional neighborhood will sell for 600-700,000. However, Berkeley is kind of a comfortable, schleppy sort of a place.
As I look at real estate postings, I think that we'd be looking at houses in Cape in the 300-350 range. Nice, but not fancy or on private beaches. Does that put us in the "poor" category? It seemed to me when we drove around town that there were plenty of regular looking family homes, so the description of town as "wealthy" seemed at odds with what I saw. But then, I don't have a frame of reference for the town, don't know how it's changed over the years.

Basically, I'd like my kids to grow up someplace where the community puts a strong value on education, but that there is not so much money floating around that life gets out of whack. What other places should we check out? What are South Portland schools like?

$300-350 is towards the bottom of the housing stock. However, you're much better off to live in exclusive Cape then to send your kids to South Portland where there basically is no upperclass.

Cape is close to the city. Close to the lower incomes of South Portland therefore it does NOT have an the exclusive of Danville, CA (surrounded by ritzy towns like Walnut Creek, Alamo, Blackhawk). It's more like a Moraga minus the strong liberal leanings.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:49 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Wow, I feel really old? "tony?" Somebody help this old fossil!
I didn't get it either....the only "Tony" I know is now a bank president (another home town boy done "good"!)....and he doesn't live there! I must be way too Maine for that reference!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:01 PM
cji

11 posts, read 42,541 times
Default to kcsmidwife-thanks for your post

Glad to see your post and your questions. I jumped on the board looking for more info on Cape E. We are relocating to the Portland area from RI. I have the same questions as do you. Few folks have mentioned Cape E in terms of folks being snotty

We are also looking at Scarborough, Yarmouth, Falmouth (have more questions about this), Cumberland, and Cape E. Coming up this coming weekend to delve deeper into neighborhoods, etc.. hoping to get a better feel for each town. Will look for your post and welcome sharing what I find.

By the way - I lived in CA for 7 years. In SD. I know it is So.Cal but never-the-less....

Old 10-02-2007, 07:39 PM

Default following up on your post

Hi CJI - great, I'd love to hear more about your impressions. We looked around a bit at Scarborough, not so much the others. By the way, if you'd like to communicate off-forum about this let me know and I will add my email to a future post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area