Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,706 times

Advertisements

In Portland, what is the weather usually like in late October (that is when my stay begins; its end date is the first few days of November)?

How spread out is Portland? Depending on where you want to go (say, going from a hotel that's about fifteen minutes from downtown Portland into downtown Portland), is it reasonable to take a pleasant walk out to reach your destination?

Aside from bars and restaurants, what attractions must a visitor to Portland see before they leave? My friend and I are particularly interested in the arts, museums, historic sites, etc. Would any locals happen to know of worthwhile attractions that are a little difficult to find/not exactly popular and thus not often found as recommended spots on travel guides? If so, what are they?

Is there enough to do in Portland alone for a few days? I know it's one of the smaller cities in America, but I've been looking over Google Maps/Street View and the main tourist areas, those being Old Town Portland and the Arts District, seem to be about the size of the downtown district of my small town. If you stray outside of them both, is there anything else in Portland to hold the interest of a visitor?

I'll take as much information as the community here can offer.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 04:17 PM

404 posts, read 777,841 times
I'll take a shot...hopefully other will follow with other suggestions.

Late october....well its been known to snow, but I would expect some crisp fall weather, Bring a warm jacket & a light jacket and some sweaters.

If your hotel is advertised as 15 minutes from downtown I guessing its in the mall area, a fine area, but I wouldn't try to walk down town from there unless you like walking on interstates and busy roads.
Just park downtown and spend the day or evening....Parking on the street is free after 6pm.

- if your here on a first Friday of the month check out the Art walk First Friday Art Walk - Portland, Maine
- Make sure you visit Portland headlight at ft William park.
- Pick one of the many trails & land trust trails and hike there are a good few in cape elizabeth Cape Elizabeth Land Trust and more up near freeport.
- Take a ferry out (from the old port) to one of the islands.
- Take a drive up to freeport and visit LL bean (30 minutes away if that) they have outdoor discovery programs:
L.L.Bean Outdoor Discovery Schools®
- I don't think the duck tours run that late in the season but its good for a history of Portland you may want to contact them and find out. Portland Tours - Sightseeing tour of Portland, Maine with Downeast Duck Adventures on an amphibious duck vessel. A land adventure and boat tour in one!
-the boat tours usually close up in late Oct, but check out the schooner tour & the wicked walking tour Cruises & Tours in Portland, Maine
Lastly there is some good music in Portland...check ticket master for the days you'll be here.

Just some ideas. I think there is enough to hold the interest of a visitor...depending on how entertained you need to be.

Last edited by atrixwolfe; 08-18-2012 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-18-2012, 08:57 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_dourif View Post
In Portland, what is the weather usually like in late October (that is when my stay begins; its end date is the first few days of November)?

How spread out is Portland? Depending on where you want to go (say, going from a hotel that's about fifteen minutes from downtown Portland into downtown Portland), is it reasonable to take a pleasant walk out to reach your destination?

Aside from bars and restaurants, what attractions must a visitor to Portland see before they leave? My friend and I are particularly interested in the arts, museums, historic sites, etc. Would any locals happen to know of worthwhile attractions that are a little difficult to find/not exactly popular and thus not often found as recommended spots on travel guides? If so, what are they?

Is there enough to do in Portland alone for a few days? I know it's one of the smaller cities in America, but I've been looking over Google Maps/Street View and the main tourist areas, those being Old Town Portland and the Arts District, seem to be about the size of the downtown district of my small town. If you stray outside of them both, is there anything else in Portland to hold the interest of a visitor?

I'll take as much information as the community here can offer.

Thanks!
What a great question, and here's wishing you a warm welcome to Maine!

Actually, I think that's a perfect time of year to come, we are a bit over-run with summer people at the moment and there might still be some fall color about.

The Portland Museum of Art is a really good museum, and they will be starting tours to Winslow Homer's studio in Sept., so you can be among the first to see that. Homer's Prouts Neck Home

There are loads of first-rate galleries in Portland, it's just a great town for art. Galleries in Downtown Portland, Maine

I love the art museum at Bowdoin College, must admit to not being a giant William Wegman fan, but this is a long write-up in the NYT:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/17/ar...pagewanted=all
Bowdoin College Museum of Art

The Farnsworth: Farnsworth Art Museum | Celebrating Maine's Role in American Art

This venue has great concerts, it has a bar, is in downtown Portland and is kinda clubby:Live Music, Portland, Maine, Tonight, Arts Venue, Events, Theater, Film, Dance, One Longfellow Square

Have fun!

Old 08-20-2012, 11:31 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,083 times
Portland has so many things to keep you busy!

As previous posters have mentioned, make sure you check out Portland Museum of Art- a truly magnificent collection!

Visit and tour the Portland Observatory.

Hop aboard a Casco Bay Island ferry to Peaks Island, Long Island or Cliff Island for a wonderful adventure.

Drive down to Old Orchard Beach and walk the beautiful 7 mile sandy beach- you most likely have it all to yourself that time of year.

If you have children with you, checkout the Children's Museum right next to the Portland Museum of Art.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:25 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
If you want to be able to walk, I'd suggest either the Regency or the Holiday Inn. The Regency is very nice, but a bit pricey- the restaurant was excellent when I was there a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area