U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:56 PM

32,493 posts, read 52,882,202 times

Advertisements

I lived in Bremerton Wa, which is across the Puget Sound from Sea/Tac [they are directly in view of each other]. We went into Sea/Tac a lot. We lived there from 1993 to 1997. I would not want to live there again.

IMHO Maine is much better.

Though admittedly from reading the OP, you do not want the things I want either. I like rural, wildlife, lower Cost-Of-Living, less regulation, and the organic off-grid culture.

You like: college towns, niche restaurants / bookstores / coffee shops, apartments starting at $500/mo, friendly, hiking, and no homelessness.

I would say the Portland, Rockport, Belfast, Bangor.

Welcome
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 01:17 PM

8 posts, read 38,439 times
@Three Wolves Ah, PNW, that's what I meant...I have no idea what PCN means; I think I just made it up, or mixed PCH and PNW, or maybe I had the acronym for penicillin on the brain, who knows, haha.

Hmm, the more you talk about the ill parts of Seattle, the more I realize that I was ignoring those facts simply to 'give it a chance' (because one of my best friends just moved there). One of my biggest pet peeves in cities is getting harassed on the street (just let me live my life, man!), so if that's a big issue in Seattle, that's definitely something that would really bother me (like I said, big reason I left Philly and Orlando). I've been reading on some forums that there is also a large downtown homeless population in Portland, but when I was there, I didn't notice it. ? I think maybe you're right; a seaside town outside of Portland would probably be best...now to find one that doesn't just rent seasonally!

Also, I can't believe Seattle was more expensive than Miami! That's crazy! I've been looking on Craigslist and Padmapper and the like, and it is ridiculous to me how similar the Seattle rental prices are to even LA...I always thought LA was supposed to be one of the most expensive cities to live, but my friend just signed a lease paying my exact same rent to live in Capitol Hill. Out of control!

Your wonderful list: those are all the things I want and all the reasons I am leaning towards Maine! Good to know what they say is all true! You just described my dream place. And from what you say, NH may be a little too rural for me; I like isolated, but I'm looking for more of an isolated 'town' rather than just individual houses and one diner, you know? Not that that is bad at all, it's just not where I'm at right now

Haha, and while I'm not terribly concerned with traffic, I DO love people who get to the right except to pass (and dislike rubber-neckers)!! So that's exciting to know.

Well, I think you have tipped the scales towards Maine, so I thank you so much for your insight; it's been invaluable! Now off to research Southern Coastal Maine towns...Thank you!

Old 09-01-2012, 01:29 PM

8 posts, read 38,439 times
@ Submariner Awesome to get your Seattle insight because Bremerton was one of the places in Seattle I was considering! I really have no idea what it's like (other than what I see online), so thanks for steering me away

You are absolutely right about all the things I want! Well except for the college town part (not hip on college towns; one of the reasons I don't like Capitol Hill in Seattle)...I guess I'm looking for more of a boho community, which I guess most of the time, unfortunately, falls in line with college towns. Hmm, I think the reason I liked Portland was because it seemed to to be a working waterfront with a little bit of an older crowd but they are also really into food, so there are lots of niche restaurants and coffee shops. And I loooove the pubs/taverns on the docks

I will definitely check out Rockport; I have heard great things about it! And I haven't heard of Belfast, but I'm going to look it up right now. Bangor is a little too inland for my taste, but I do love Stephen King

Thank you thank you for your suggestions (and for steering me away from Bremerton)! Off to research Rockport and Belfast! Thanks!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:30 PM

26,029 posts, read 19,136,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criticalsass View Post
@ Submariner Awesome to get your Seattle insight because Bremerton was one of the places in Seattle I was considering! I really have no idea what it's like (other than what I see online), so thanks for steering me away

You are absolutely right about all the things I want! Well except for the college town part (not hip on college towns; one of the reasons I don't like Capitol Hill in Seattle)...I guess I'm looking for more of a boho community, which I guess most of the time, unfortunately, falls in line with college towns. Hmm, I think the reason I liked Portland was because it seemed to to be a working waterfront with a little bit of an older crowd but they are also really into food, so there are lots of niche restaurants and coffee shops. And I loooove the pubs/taverns on the docks

I will definitely check out Rockport; I have heard great things about it! And I haven't heard of Belfast, but I'm going to look it up right now. Bangor is a little too inland for my taste, but I do love Stephen King

Thank you thank you for your suggestions (and for steering me away from Bremerton)! Off to research Rockport and Belfast! Thanks!
If you don't have to worry about work, because you work from home, you might also want to look at Bar Harbor, Seal Harbor, etc. Those are further up north, about an hour's drive from Bangor and if I could, I would live there tomorrow. (For me it's finding a job in that area....almost had one. Oh well.)

Bar Harbor has tourists from...end of May to early Sep but it's still not what you are used to with the LA area. Not even close. The rest of the year, it's you and your fellow town citizens and from my understanding, the people in the Bar Harbor area are reaaallllllllly nice.

OH what I would give to be able to work from home or find a job there. I would be so flippin' happy I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

So, check that one out, too.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:24 PM

52 posts, read 146,456 times
To add above. If I never had to think about where I worked, and didn't care about winter the top of my list would be Mt Dessert Island / Bar Harbor. It's just beatiful.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:28 PM

41,478 posts, read 54,248,822 times
Try Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Smaller than Portland, ME but just as cool.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:52 PM

32,493 posts, read 52,882,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptacamp View Post
To add above. If I never had to think about where I worked, and didn't care about winter the top of my list would be Mt Dessert Island / Bar Harbor. It's just beatiful.
If you "didn't care about winter". Seems like an odd phrase to me. Is winter particularly wonderful in MDI? As compared to other areas?

Or by not caring about winter do you mean that other areas of Maine have nicer winters?

I rarely make it over to the coast, I am not sure how their winters are much different.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:29 PM

52 posts, read 146,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If you "didn't care about winter". Seems like an odd phrase to me. Is winter particularly wonderful in MDI? As compared to other areas?

Or by not caring about winter do you mean that other areas of Maine have nicer winters?

I rarely make it over to the coast, I am not sure how their winters are much different.

To clarify, I meant that I am not really a fan of the cold snowy winters, but other than that the area is absolutely beautiful. The winters there are no better or worse than the rest of state.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:22 PM

19,164 posts, read 22,852,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criticalsass View Post
Hi all

I am in the odd/fortunate(?) position where I will be moving in 2 months to...anywhere I want. I currently live in Los Angeles and despise it. I'm looking to move somewhere coastal with seasons (or at least not always warm) and to a place that has a little more, shall we say, natural culture. I am considering: Portland Maine (or Rockport/Rockland), Portsmouth NH, Salem Mass, or completely on the opposite coast: Seattle.

A little background about me: grew up in PA/NJ, lived in Philly (too dirty/homeless), lived in Orlando (loved the small city feel, hated the weather/crime), lived in San Diego, Orange County, and now LA for 2 years (all too hot and weird...sorry, just not a Californian at heart). I work from home (seamstress/blogger), love to hike, be near the ocean and wild weather and strange topography, love educated and fun-loving and non-pretentious people, like to drink and eat, do the coffee shop and art gallery scene. Way into the small city, Cheers type atmosphere. Oh, and I am very free-spirited and in my early 30s.

I've spent summers in Maine as a teen as well as a recent weekend in Portland, Maine and tons of time in Seattle. Just in visiting, Portland Maine is phenomenal. Seattle is as well, just a bit bigger than I think I would like....but who knows!

So my question is to people who have lived (not just visited) both in the PCN and New England is: where do you like living better?

Things I care about:
- a scene! niche restaurants and bars (not clubs), cozy bookstore and coffee shops, sunday dinners and outdoor movie nights/game nights
- housing costs: i am on a very limited budget and will be getting a studio to start out with - I am okay with living 20 mins outside of downtown (I have a truck) if it means I can get a studio for less than $750/mo
- friendly people
- hiking!
- easy drive to nearby sites/day trips
- not a drug-heavy or dangerous homeless population (I do not like Portland, OR or Philly for these reasons)
- relatively uncrowded city...or has small neighborhood pockets (love people, hate annoying late-night crowds)
- coastal or on a picturesque waterway (not huge on rivers)

Things I don't care about:
- traffic
- schools/family-friendly stuff
- weather (love weather extremes)
- high-paying employment prospects (I have a college degree, but am not interested in using it at this point)

I am also open to any other New England cities if you think they would fit!

<3 Beth

*Sorry to talk so much/be so specific, but I have literally been contemplating this move since I moved to LA 2 years ago, lol. Thank you so much for all of your help!!
Don't move to Seattle.

Seattle is a great place to live if you're rich. If not, it's a soggy hellhole. Crime, drugs, and gangs are a problem, even in the suburbs. Traffic is horrible. Public transportation is a mess. Housing is outrageously expensive. A lot of the people are self-centered and unfriendly. There are NOT 4 distinct seasons. There are 2: summer, which is hot and dry, usually lasting from around late June to late August. Followed by 9 months of soggy wet. It isn't even real rain most of the time. More like living inside a continual sneeze for 9 months. Real snow is rare, and when it happens, the entire metroplex shuts down. I lived in the area for almost 10 years and absolutely hated it.

Portland, ME is nice, but still too "big city" for my tastes. Same with Portsmouth, NH. Both are nice enough, I suppose. The major difference being Portsmouth feels much bigger, because it is surrounded by other towns. From Portsmouth, it takes a while to truly get out of city and into country. No so much in Portland. Keep in mind that Portland has the highest crime in Maine. That being said, it is NOTHING compared to Seattle. The worst neighborhoods in Portland are nicer and safer than Seattle's nicer neighborhoods.

Rockland is great. Very pretty, but definitely a small town. Same with Boothbay, Bar Harbor, etc. Check out Brunswick and Bath as well. More culture in Brunswick, but Bath is more affordable.

You might also check out Burlington, VT or Plattsburgh, NY. Not coastal per se, but they are on Lake Champlain.

The best difference I've found between West Coast and East Coast is the general outlook on life. I found West Coast people to be very self-centered, out for #1, materialistic, and uninterested in community. You can find that in Portland, too, sure, but it isn't the norm. While East Coasters are more reserved and don't "open up" as easily, they are more community oriented, more willing to help out a neighbor, and more interested in friends and family than a McMansion and a new car.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:16 AM

616 posts, read 1,056,316 times
OP, have you looked at Bellingham, WA? I think it has many of the things you mentioned. It's a college town with lower rents than Seattle and it's right on the water. Portland, ME would be my first choice though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area