U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:10 AM

8 posts, read 37,467 times

Advertisements

Hi all you helpful, wonderful people!

I just wanted to update you - I read through all of your replies about 10 times each and after scoping out Belfast and Bar Harbor (which look and sound absolutely dreamy and future-worthy) and deciding against Seattle (beautiful and fun, but way too pricey for my gypsy lifestyle, amongst all the other negs you all mentioned)...I'm signing a lease for an apartment in Portland, ME tomorrow! I'm moving next month and my tiny, but cheap flat will be in the West End near the Maine Medical Center, so I think that will give me the artsy, small-town feel that I'm looking for while still not being a terribly big shock for me after living in 4 big cities in a row (Philly, Orlando, San Diego, LA).

I do work from home as a seamstress/online boutique owner (and tend to get out very little during working hours which means little opportunity for getting to know people/places), so if any of you that live in Portland, ME have any additional advice on cute coffee shops and bars, music venues, art walks, city hikes/bike paths, farmer's markets, historical sites, or just cool things to do in town, that would be above and beyond your already immense helpfulness.

Thanks for all your insight and if I see you around town, I hope we smile at each other. Know that I owe you an Allagash! ...I'm practicing my Mainer-isms as we speak
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 03:49 PM

1,910 posts, read 4,624,460 times
Congratulations Beth and welcome to Portland. Now that I'm old and married with a 5 year old and living in the suburbs, I'm not as in tune with the local scene as I used to be, but there are dozens of opportunities for you within walking distance of the West End. Are you on Twitter? There is a monthly Maine Tweet up at a Portland restaurant that has hundreds of attendees that you could network with.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:00 PM

56 posts, read 101,930 times
I applaud you!! That is fantastic news. You should get there in time to see the fall foliage! it is quite amazing.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for us to get there some day.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 PM

8 posts, read 37,467 times
Woo-hoo thanks, WhoFanMe and Catras!! I am on Twitter, so I will definitely follow the Maine Tweet up - I'm all for meeting up at a restaurant (yum!). WhoFanMe, haha, I'm sure you are not old at all, but just happily enjoying a young, beautiful family And I, for one, am certainly looking forward to the Maine suburbs, which I have a sneaking suspicion are just chances to enjoy Maine's beauty in peace and quiet.

Speaking of nature, Catras, oh how I am looking forward to an auburn and golden autumn! I just got a Halloween party invite from my friend in Bangor, so I am already counting the days until crisp air and carved pumpkins. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as well, and of course post beautiful descriptions and pictures of my Portland experience to try and coax you more quickly across the country

Old 09-26-2012, 09:19 AM

56 posts, read 101,930 times
I love the fall, it's probably my favorite season. I grew up in Western PA and have fond memories as a kid going for a ride to look at leaves with my family. Of course there is apple cider and pumpkins.

If you go up to Mount Hood the leaves can be pretty nice. Even here at one of the local parks they have some nice trees that change colors.

We have a tradition now to go to Roloff Farms to get pumpkins, and there is a nice apple farm only a few miles from us. We already went once and now I am ready to go again, the honey crisp apples are so delicious. I take a picture of my daughter walking through the pumpkin patch each year.

We are still enjoying wonderful weather, sunshine and warmth. I know it's going to change soon enough. I think I need to order some Bean Boots.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,687 times
I am just here to find out more about Portland, (thinking of relocating in 4 or 5 years in my semi retirement) from RI. And I want to thank the person above me here who took all that time and gave Maine a beautiful, huge check in my PRO column!!

Old 10-16-2012, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,913 times
how would one join up with this group my friend? i have a twitter account

Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 PM

1,910 posts, read 4,624,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm13 View Post
how would one join up with this group my friend? i have a twitter account
I just sent you a PM.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:27 AM

225 posts, read 294,445 times
Welcome~I'm from Biddeford (just south of you).

Old 10-19-2012, 01:14 PM

96 posts, read 205,182 times
Just seeing this but SO excited you made that decision! Keep us all updated on how things go with you in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area