U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 01:47 PM

96 posts, read 205,192 times

Advertisements

We've lived here in Seattle twice. Once in King County and once in Snohomish County. Crime is rising rapidly. We work with the local police force here in Snohomish County and they all talk about it. It's getting worse here. The laws have become too lax and now the criminals have gotten wind of it. Say what you all want and not certain how long some of you former Seattlites have been gone but the cost of living has been skyrocketing. People originally from here are leaving by the droves and very angry about the fact that they feel forced out due to the cost of living spikes (I am in property management). It's sad because it is so gorgeous here. And I will warn that the level of friendliness depends on where you are from. If you are from the Midwest, California or the South the people here may not seem friendly and your level of friendliness may scare them a little. LOL! I'm from the Midwest so I've been told often that I am too friendly for the people here. Just keep in mind that the grass isn't always greener on the other side no matter where you may live. Life continues to happen and there is no such thing as Utopia. Oh, btw, the likelihood of Mount Rainier or Mt. Baker erupting is pretty high and the big one (earthquake) is being talked about on the local news as of the past couple of months. So, if you come here, make sure you are prepared for emergencies. You just never know, right? Good luck!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 05:12 PM

4,875 posts, read 7,588,346 times
the wind chill is Northern Maine today was something like minus 54 degrees Please keep this in mind when considering moving to the beautiful state of Maine. Could you really stand those kinds of temperatures?

Old 01-26-2013, 09:30 AM

90 posts, read 195,217 times
Seattle is AWESOME!!!!! Expensive but AWESOME! If you live around the downtown area the weather is never too cold, snows on occasion but not a lot. The bus system is excellent, a lot of them are electric and run on the old cable car wires.

It's a very pet friendly city if you have pets. Not very smoker friendly, if you are a smoker. There is so much to do there for free if you are into outdoor activities.

We were debating on going back to Seattle, but I am the type of person that if I have been there, I did that and time to try something different. We are looking at making Portland our new home but never actually being there (taking a trip there next week to check it out) I can't comment on life there. I have done a lot of research and like a lot of what I read and that is why we have chosen to look there.

You basically have to decide what is most important to you and your lifestyle and do the research to see if that city will be a good fit for you and your personality.

Good luck to you on whichever you decide and have a safe move.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 AM

8 posts, read 37,475 times
Hi All, OP here!

Just wanted to say thanks again, so much, for all of your helpful responses and give you an update! I'm in Portland (been here full time for about 2 months now) and am loving it!! So far, even with the wintery weather, it has been exactly what I pictured - the perfect mix of small town/big city ideals with lots of tucked away bars, restaurants, arts, and culture. Not to mention the outdoor activity that everyone loves to do! There are two things I will say that I was not aware of before moving here: 1) For a young(ish - early 30s) person who loves to go about and intermix with local activities, etc, I would much prefer living on Munjoy Hill/the East End versus where I live now on the West End. Although the East End isn't quite as pretty (burned in the fire back in the day) or quiet, it has more of a...local flavor? The age range is a little younger/less family-oriented and they seem to be out and about on that (beautiful!) Eastern Prom more often. 2) That being said, it is extremely hard to make friends here! I'm surprised! While I find that people are willing to exchange pleasantries, etc., it has definitely been tough-goings as far as getting people to take the time to venture out of their cliques/circles and welcome a new person. Unexpected! I've never had problems making friends in new cities, but this one is definitely going to be a toughie...maybe it's bc it's winter, who knows. Anywho, I actually just got a big girl job in research (no longer working from home, boo!), so good jobs are definitely out there in Maine, but are decidedly hard to come by! I am happy to be a "Mainer" now and love being in a place where people take pride in their state. It is stunningly beautiful here and I am loving the -16 degree days! I'll let you know how things change once the spring months come around and people start leaving their houses Overall, it's been just as described by all the posters and I'm so happy I choose Portland over Seattle; love the small city feel! Thanks and happy Maine winter to all!

Old 02-13-2013, 02:55 PM

8 posts, read 21,524 times
Hey Criticalsass,

I moved from Santa Barbara, CA to Vermont 7 years ago (one paradise to another), and it looks likely that I will be moving to Maine for a job in the next month (believe it or not, there are more jobs in Maine than here in Vermont). Your last post interested me, because I've found the same thing in Vermont...really hard to make friends and it's never been a problem for me elsewhere. What I discovered in Vermont is that if you don't have kids (which I don't), it's really hard to find ways to meet and get to know folks. I used to work from home, but am specifically looking for a position where I can go into an office, else I might go insane.

Anyway...keep on posting if you don't mind and let me know how it's going. I'm female, early 40's, into nature, hiking, nutrition, cozy coffee shops, wine bars, great food and intimate conversations so perhaps we could go out for a drink if/when I get there (don't worry - I'm not hitting on you - not that way inclined).

I have two dogs that are used to roaming free on 20 acres here, so I'll be looking for something about 15-20 mins out of Portland where there's a bit more space.

Also, not sure how credible those meet-up groups are, but perhaps you can find some friends via that.

Best of luck to you!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 PM

10 posts, read 29,504 times
Default Getting to know people in ME

I have been reading this threat with interest because we are thinking about a move to Maine. My mother's family is from Maine and I used to visit growing up. I loved it there.
I grew up in Houston, TX and have lived the past 17 years in Atlanta, GA.
We are really ready for a slower, safer pace of life and I want my 9th grade son to have a great place to start his own life once he graduates from High School/College.

I was a bit concerned when I read about how hard it has seemed to make friends. I have never really encountered that problem living in Atlanta. I am chatty, and pretty much everyone here around me in Atlanta seems that way as well. What can I expect if we move there? Can I just strike up conversations with people in the store, or restaurants? Would they think me odd? I am married but stay at home while my son is in Virtual School. (the schools in Atlanta are horrible!) I depend on being able to make friends through the Meetup qwebsite and just chatting it up with people since I do not work and am not single.

Sherri

Old 02-28-2013, 06:07 AM

4 posts, read 8,221 times
I lived in Orange county for 3 years and really missed the seasons here in Maine. I noticed other people mentioned Brunswick, ME.. Have you looked into that area? It's been a long time since I've been down that way, but it's really artsy there and you could day trip to a lot of other great areas. I personally love Portland, Saco, Old Orchard Beach, Kittery, all those Southern Maine areas, but I live in Northern Maine. We would not be here if it wasnt for family and my need to raise my daughter. We make it a point to stay on the beach for a week every summer. Here is one place you have to visit; Rocky Ridge Orchard in Bowdoin, ME.. I drive over 200 miles to get a snack here. Good luck!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 AM

1,910 posts, read 4,624,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrlon View Post
I have been reading this threat with interest because we are thinking about a move to Maine. My mother's family is from Maine and I used to visit growing up. I loved it there.
I grew up in Houston, TX and have lived the past 17 years in Atlanta, GA.
We are really ready for a slower, safer pace of life and I want my 9th grade son to have a great place to start his own life once he graduates from High School/College.

I was a bit concerned when I read about how hard it has seemed to make friends. I have never really encountered that problem living in Atlanta. I am chatty, and pretty much everyone here around me in Atlanta seems that way as well. What can I expect if we move there? Can I just strike up conversations with people in the store, or restaurants? Would they think me odd? I am married but stay at home while my son is in Virtual School. (the schools in Atlanta are horrible!) I depend on being able to make friends through the Meetup qwebsite and just chatting it up with people since I do not work and am not single.

Sherri
I don't think you'll have a problem meeting people in the Portland area and most people make eye contact and will say hello to you on the street (big adjustment for me when I moved here 30+ years ago from Long Island, NY). Meetup has several groups in the area depending on your interests.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:04 PM

3,455 posts, read 3,440,139 times
Default Thread revival time! ;)

This was a really interesting thread to read!
I love how the OP started off with questions then moved to Portland and got back to everyone!

OP, if you're out there, how's it going? How is your new job working out? Have you gotten involved with any meet up groups have found any folks to get together with?

Hubby and I visited the Seattle area and really loved it. He's from England and doesn't mind rain and cold. (and neither do I especially since I've spent a little time in England with him before we got married, and now get cranky when it get's over 80 degrees!)
He's also a techie and a nerd, so it's possible to get a job there, and meet like minded folks there. However, we're open to other areas and New England is a place that interests us as well. We went to Boston as part as our honeymoon 15 years ago, (ha ha... just HAD to rib him gaining our Independence from England, but guess what? He just recently became a U.S. citizen and LOVES this country! ) but didn't make it up to Maine where we would love to visit!!
Hubby also went to Bedford Mass for some work related stuff and said he really enjoyed it. We regret not springing for the cost for me to join him on that trip, but that wont happen again!

The reason Portland caught my eye is that I came across it when I saw it was in a top list for Asthmatics to thrive, which surprised me because of the cold, but of course everyone is different.
So I do have a few questions, but perhaps I should start a new thread...

Old 05-14-2019, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criticalsass View Post
Hi All, OP here!

Just wanted to say thanks again, so much, for all of your helpful responses and give you an update! I'm in Portland (been here full time for about 2 months now) and am loving it!! So far, even with the wintery weather, it has been exactly what I pictured - the perfect mix of small town/big city ideals with lots of tucked away bars, restaurants, arts, and culture. Not to mention the outdoor activity that everyone loves to do! There are two things I will say that I was not aware of before moving here: 1) For a young(ish - early 30s) person who loves to go about and intermix with local activities, etc, I would much prefer living on Munjoy Hill/the East End versus where I live now on the West End. Although the East End isn't quite as pretty (burned in the fire back in the day) or quiet, it has more of a...local flavor? The age range is a little younger/less family-oriented and they seem to be out and about on that (beautiful!) Eastern Prom more often. 2) That being said, it is extremely hard to make friends here! I'm surprised! While I find that people are willing to exchange pleasantries, etc., it has definitely been tough-goings as far as getting people to take the time to venture out of their cliques/circles and welcome a new person. Unexpected! I've never had problems making friends in new cities, but this one is definitely going to be a toughie...maybe it's bc it's winter, who knows. Anywho, I actually just got a big girl job in research (no longer working from home, boo!), so good jobs are definitely out there in Maine, but are decidedly hard to come by! I am happy to be a "Mainer" now and love being in a place where people take pride in their state. It is stunningly beautiful here and I am loving the -16 degree days! I'll let you know how things change once the spring months come around and people start leaving their houses Overall, it's been just as described by all the posters and I'm so happy I choose Portland over Seattle; love the small city feel! Thanks and happy Maine winter to all!
This was such a great thread. Any chance for a longer-term update? We'd really appreciate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area