U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 12:08 PM

34 posts, read 136,768 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info re Back Bay Towers, Cumberland Ave, Portland? My husband & I are seniors, planning to move to Portland next yr. We've been given a tour of Back Bay Towers, love the apts & locacation. However, after returning home (MD) I found a very bad review of the bldg on a website that is supposed to have tenant reviews of apts. I don't know how old the site is but there was only 1 review for Back Bay & it was really bad. The author was anon., and very bellergent - nothing suited him about the place. The place looked pretty good to us & they've just put a 20,000 sq ft roof garden on top of the garage. Bldg seemed well maintained. Wd appreciate any input current or former tenants have re this complex.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 11,875 times
Default backbay tower

run, not walk.. away from this mismanaged, scammed, overpriced piece of property..pay attention to "portlands [PAST] most fashioable address.. the garages is so filithy it looks like homeless moved in to sell pencils..and the laundry room so filthy youd rather send the clothes out for service than take a chance on catching something..
one would not want to forget the criminal element....now would we??? look closely and carry a big camera.. wow.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:15 PM

8,323 posts, read 23,796,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rypasintell View Post
run, not walk.. away from this mismanaged, scammed, overpriced piece of property..pay attention to "portlands [PAST] most fashioable address.. the garages is so filithy it looks like homeless moved in to sell pencils..and the laundry room so filthy youd rather send the clothes out for service than take a chance on catching something..
one would not want to forget the criminal element....now would we??? look closely and carry a big camera.. wow.
I actually live down the street from this place and um....criminal element? Give me a break! There is a homeless joint not to far but that is nothing to worry about. There is an empty lot right next door that was slated to be used for another Back Bay Towers type of building, but I think that plan got scrapped and the lot is collecting garbage, though.

Anyways...if I remember correctly the BBT is essentially fairly decent condos boardering on the luxurious-except half of the units are actually sold as such and the other half are reserved for low-income residents. Personally I wouldn't worry about it-the real section-8'ers reside mostly further west on Grant St. or further East on Cumberland.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:00 PM

497 posts, read 1,482,246 times
This is a bad, bad place. I wouldn't think of moving anywhere near there unless you like the sound of police cars all night and occasional gun shots.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:42 PM

85 posts, read 281,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
This is a bad, bad place. I wouldn't think of moving anywhere near there unless you like the sound of police cars all night and occasional gun shots.
Isnt this a bit over the top? Gun shots?

Old 12-02-2007, 02:25 PM

6 posts, read 41,521 times
Thumbs up Back Bay Tower is THE Address in Portland

There are a large variety of floor plans. I have seen almost all of them. The units - low and high - are luxurious. I have been living in a 3 bedroom one bath for two years and am moving to a two bedroom one bath. I have seen the two level penthouse units, the magnificent decks, the impeccable interiors, and the very well maintained property undergo staffing changes over the few years I have been here....but ALL of the staff has been friendly, helpful and more like family. This building is not mismanaged. There is an air of professionalism that always comes from management. (Nope, I am not employed by the place). We do live in downtown Portland, so, as in any city, there are sirens, traffic noises, but I have NEVER heard a gun shot! I have lived on the third floor, on the bay side, and the building is very quiet. You should check out uitility bills....some of the units are not very efficient, but the management/ownership has a plan in place to offer incredible assistance during the four coldest winter months (high electric heat bills) and literally took care of about 50% of my heat bill last winter....NOT BAD!!! The laundry is modern, works off a key card, and has always been clean when I have been around (but honestly I send my clothes out most times.) The exercise room/gym AND indoor heated pool are several of the amenities that set Back Bay Tower apart from most residences in Portland....they are beautiful and extremely well appointed. The lobby is rich and appealing. The guests I have had over since my arrival here have NEVER been disappointed...and have always complimented me on such a nice place.
Attached Thumbnails
Back Bay Towers Portland ME-image0003.jpg   Back Bay Towers Portland ME-image0001.jpg   Back Bay Towers Portland ME-image0002.jpg   Back Bay Towers Portland ME-img_0016.jpg  

Last edited by saltman329; 12-02-2007 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: adding more pics

Old 12-06-2007, 03:39 PM

We were in the garage and it didn't appear as bad as you say. Afterall, it is a parkng garage w/areas open to the outside. Thx for the response.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltman329 View Post
There are a large variety of floor plans. I have seen almost all of them. The units - low and high - are luxurious. I have been living in a 3 bedroom one bath for two years and am moving to a two bedroom one bath. I have seen the two level penthouse units, the magnificent decks, the impeccable interiors, and the very well maintained property undergo staffing changes over the few years I have been here....but ALL of the staff has been friendly, helpful and more like family. This building is not mismanaged. There is an air of professionalism that always comes from management. (Nope, I am not employed by the place). We do live in downtown Portland, so, as in any city, there are sirens, traffic noises, but I have NEVER heard a gun shot! I have lived on the third floor, on the bay side, and the building is very quiet. You should check out uitility bills....some of the units are not very efficient, but the management/ownership has a plan in place to offer incredible assistance during the four coldest winter months (high electric heat bills) and literally took care of about 50% of my heat bill last winter....NOT BAD!!! The laundry is modern, works off a key card, and has always been clean when I have been around (but honestly I send my clothes out most times.) The exercise room/gym AND indoor heated pool are several of the amenities that set Back Bay Tower apart from most residences in Portland....they are beautiful and extremely well appointed. The lobby is rich and appealing. The guests I have had over since my arrival here have NEVER been disappointed...and have always complimented me on such a nice place.
Thx for the reply. I'm actually glad to hear something positive. We thought the place looked great. We saw 4 different apts on different floors & the apt where the person taking us around lived. The views are great. We were told we could put in a w/d hookup which I wd probably do - I stopped doing laundry rooms yrs ago. I was wondering if the heat was inc on the electric bill - it sounds like it is. We actually got info on avg utility bills for a couple of apts there from the electric co & they were about what we pay in gas & electric bills for an all-electric house w/natural gas heat. Thx also for the pix. If I have more questions in future I may post them here if you'd be willing to respond. Again, thx a lot.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:40 PM

6 posts, read 41,521 times
Thumbs up Back Bay Tower is THE Address in Portland

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbcherokee View Post
Thx for the reply. I'm actually glad to hear something positive. We thought the place looked great. We saw 4 different apts on different floors & the apt where the person taking us around lived. The views are great. We were told we could put in a w/d hookup which I wd probably do - I stopped doing laundry rooms yrs ago. I was wondering if the heat was inc on the electric bill - it sounds like it is. We actually got info on avg utility bills for a couple of apts there from the electric co & they were about what we pay in gas & electric bills for an all-electric house w/natural gas heat. Thx also for the pix. If I have more questions in future I may post them here if you'd be willing to respond. Again, thx a lot.

I would be happy to respond as honestly as I can...I truly like this place...and there are few real issues here. Sure, there are the occasional garage door issues, or elevator issues...but I have always found the maintenance crew to be johnny on the spot...quick, efficient and courteous.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:37 AM

Hi Again. We've sold the house & are moving to Portland next mo. We just got paperwork for Back Bay & are curious about the billing from ITSA for water, heat, etc. We got a mo. aver. for the elect for last yr but did not know about ITSA. Can you give me an idea of what this runs per mo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area