Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 08:20 AM

82 posts, read 194,211 times

Advertisements

We are wanting to move to the New England area next Summer and are trying narrow down our choices. I have certain colleges that I will have to apply to (only specific ones offer my program) so this makes it a little tricky with where we should live. I want great schools for my two young children so we have talked about certain areas in MA and also Yarmouth, Cape Elizabeth and Falmouth. The problem is, my program is only offered at a school in Fairfield. I looked at Mapquest and it says that the drive would be right under and hour and a half.....does this sound correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 12:33 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandNewcomer View Post
We are wanting to move to the New England area next Summer and are trying narrow down our choices. I have certain colleges that I will have to apply to (only specific ones offer my program) so this makes it a little tricky with where we should live. I want great schools for my two young children so we have talked about certain areas in MA and also Yarmouth, Cape Elizabeth and Falmouth. The problem is, my program is only offered at a school in Fairfield. I looked at Mapquest and it says that the drive would be right under and hour and a half.....does this sound correct?
Welcome to the forum, yes that's about right from Portland during the day with normal traffic/construction. Falmouth and Yarmouth would be quicker, as you've already passed through Portland and Cape Elizabeth longer as you have to navigate through South Portland and Portland to get onto the highway to go north.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Welcome to the forum, yes that's about right from Portland during the day with normal traffic/construction. Falmouth and Yarmouth would be quicker, as you've already passed through Portland and Cape Elizabeth longer as you have to navigate through South Portland and Portland to get onto the highway to go north.
Thanks for letting me know! So, do you think that Yarmouth would be the closest of the areas that I listed? Would the commute be mainly hwy?

Old 09-26-2012, 09:05 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandNewcomer View Post
Thanks for letting me know! So, do you think that Yarmouth would be the closest of the areas that I listed? Would the commute be mainly hwy?
Yes to both.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:06 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,893,375 times
Don't forget about winter storms in your driving calculations. Some will say the interstate is kept in better condition than other roads during a storm....I've seen cars off the road on the interstate during a winter storm.

When you talk about applying to a college that has your program--is this to be a student or an instructor/professor?

Old 09-27-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Don't forget about winter storms in your driving calculations. Some will say the interstate is kept in better condition than other roads during a storm....I've seen cars off the road on the interstate during a winter storm.

When you talk about applying to a college that has your program--is this to be a student or an instructor/professor?
I had thought (and worried) about driving this distance in Winter. If I want my children in specific schools and I need to be at a certain college and we do end up moving there, I won't be able to avoid driving. Luckily, my commute won't be permenant.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:50 AM

52 posts, read 164,922 times
Portland to Fairfield is a LONG commute. How often would you be doing the commute? While I *might* consider it maybe twice a week, if it's every day, thats just too far. In the winter that could be a 3+ hour ride home in the snow.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:58 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,893,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptacamp View Post
Portland to Fairfield is a LONG commute. How often would you be doing the commute? While I *might* consider it maybe twice a week, if it's every day, thats just too far. In the winter that could be a 3+ hour ride home in the snow.
Excellent point! If there's a bad snow storm, might want to spend the night in Waterville as opposed to a potential 3 hr. drive.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:40 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,076 times
There are other good school systems outside the Portland metro region, you know. We have friends in Waterville who were very happy with their children's experience in the local schools, for example, (Winslow across the river, not so much). Brunswick has an excellent system, as does Camden if you're interested in the coast. I can't recommend Lewiston, but I've heard good things about Auburn.

And from the other direction have you considered Bangor? Excellent schools, and John Bapst High School in particular is highly thought of. Just south of Bangor, Hampden Academy is another good school.

A 90-minute commute in the winter, even on Interstate-grade highways, is a recipe for disaster and burnout. I did a 60-minute commute for far too long and have since regretted it mightily. That doesn't even take into account the expense of gas, tires, depreciation, wear and tear on a vehicle, etc.

BTW, what's your area of study, assuming you would be a student at, I presume, KVCC in Fairfield? UMaine-Augusta has many of the same courses and is closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area