Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2007, 11:48 AM

3 posts, read 9,723 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am looking to relocate to Portland ME. My current employer may allow me to relocate but on my own funds. Either way I am sick of where I am at now and would love to move up to Maine. Any suggestions on where to look to rent a house or rental rates?

Also I noticed that a lot of the houses do not have air conditioning. Is that normal?

Any suggestions on where to start looking or how to go about it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 12:31 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
For rentals I would check craigslist or CT Management, Inc., specializes in the management of Portland's select rental properties. Our company is located* in charming Portland, Maine.. You can also google "rentals portland maine" for more rental agencies. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2007, 12:57 PM

276 posts, read 848,761 times
Apartments.com has some good listings. My hubby's sister lives in Portland at Terrace Pond Apts and they have a pool, small balcony's and AC. A 2 BD runs her @1000. Her prior apt. was about 1200 with no AC. For being in the city, it's sort of country there. There is a grocery store within walking distace and stores are just a few miles away.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:07 PM

Thanks a lot! Is there a small town outside of Portland that would be better? I telecommute now but with lay-offs and outsourcing I didn't want to be to far from a major market.

Also do you know of any good veterinarians in the area? Do you like living in Maine? I am originally from Ohio (near Cleveland) and now in the South (and hate it). I just don't belong here.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:04 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Maine is a great place to live. We have four real seasons and we could use air conditioning in a home about two days a year. Most get by with a small fan on those rare hot days.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Thanks

wish I could move tomorrow. Sadly it will most likely be at least a year before I can swing it. Currently in Charlotte, NC.

I am glad to hear it is a great place. What is crime rate like? Is it animal friendly? I volunteer with animal rescues and would hope to be able to continue.

Sorry for all the questions but after 10 years here this is a major move for me. Hoping to rent a house in a nice neighborhood and keep my current job working from home. If not is a lot of large companies around?

Thanks again for the info. I have a goal... Will be looking to fly up sometime early next year. I love SNOW!!! I love cool and cold weather so it sounds like Heaven!!!

Old 10-08-2007, 05:39 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
We have AC window units in our home. Use them frequently during the summer, as being inland, we do not get the sea breeze. I doubt you will find a place with central air.
You should be able to find an animal rescue group in the Portland area, and even a humane society to volunteer at. I make kitty blankets for our shelter in Auburn.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:10 AM

276 posts, read 848,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KymberlyC View Post
Thanks a lot! Is there a small town outside of Portland that would be better? I telecommute now but with lay-offs and outsourcing I didn't want to be to far from a major market.

Also do you know of any good veterinarians in the area? Do you like living in Maine? I am originally from Ohio (near Cleveland) and now in the South (and hate it). I just don't belong here.
Westbrook, Scarborough, South Portland, Falmouth are close. Depends on how far you want to travel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area