Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 12:21 PM

39 posts, read 88,541 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a move to Maine in the greater Portland area and are concerned about the employment picture. I'd be looking for contract, part-time or full-time clerical or administrative positions. Are these difficult to find in Maine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 01:12 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,942 times
What do you mean by contract?

Old 10-13-2007, 01:45 PM

264 posts, read 397,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpitt View Post
We are contemplating a move to Maine in the greater Portland area and are concerned about the employment picture. I'd be looking for contract, part-time or full-time clerical or administrative positions. Are these difficult to find in Maine?
These jobs are fairly common in Portland...lots of insurance companies, banks, health care agencies, hospitals, social services agencies, ad agencies, and the like.

That said, I suggest trying a temp agency as soon as you roll into town. My wife got a great job through a temp agency, and it beats the hell out of driving all over the place handing out resumes that probably hit the circular file before you get out the door.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:34 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post
These jobs are fairly common in Portland...lots of insurance companies, banks, health care agencies, hospitals, social services agencies, ad agencies, and the like.

That said, I suggest trying a temp agency as soon as you roll into town. My wife got a great job through a temp agency, and it beats the hell out of driving all over the place handing out resumes that probably hit the circular file before you get out the door.
Wonder if Eastport would have simliar postions? It would be nice if the 14 year wait to move got shortened ( for the record, I am currently an HR Employment Administrator)

Old 10-15-2007, 10:05 AM

4 posts, read 8,292 times
Default Respone to dmyankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
What do you mean by contract?
By contract I mean a temporary position, not a permanent one.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:58 AM

264 posts, read 397,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Wonder if Eastport would have simliar postions? It would be nice if the 14 year wait to move got shortened ( for the record, I am currently an HR Employment Administrator)
I doubt it. Portland is the financial center of the state...Eastport is not a very big place at all. Waayyy too remote for major companies to put down roots.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:11 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post
I doubt it. Portland is the financial center of the state...Eastport is not a very big place at all. Waayyy too remote for major companies to put down roots.
I know, but a girl can hope and dream, right?

Old 10-17-2007, 04:26 PM

39 posts, read 88,541 times
Dear ParrotPaul:

First, thanks for responding. Did your wife use one "temp" agency or did she make the rounds. I noticed a Bonney Staffing and I think Manpower. Did she wait weeks before being contacted about a position and is your wife an administrative assistant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area