Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 AM

21 posts, read 46,648 times

Advertisements

@SteelTreeHat....Maybe I should take up smoking just long enough to have someone like you attempt to "scream in my face", the "results" were be interesting to say the least. ;-)

Why do a few non-smokers act like such bullies/ and make the rest of us non smokers look bad in the process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 11:41 AM

50 posts, read 56,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToNE View Post
@SteelTreeHat....Maybe I should take up smoking just long enough to have someone like you attempt to "scream in my face", the "results" were be interesting to say the least. ;-)

Why do a few non-smokers act like such bullies/ and make the rest of us non smokers look bad in the process?
Newtone, I am certain that you would find the results interesting because you would be crying and your pants would be very wet. In addition, I imagine you'd quickly retreat to your home and be scared to leave it again for quite some time for fear of upsetting me, but you'd learn your lesson and learn it good, you would.

I've developed a new habit, whenever somebody is smoking around me, I simply must pass gas directly in their face and then I must scream in their face. Society needs to make special accommodations and tolerate these things because they are my habits, and if smokers have taught us anything, if you have a habit you should get special treatment.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:41 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
Well i wont defend fast food, but i will say if i am sitting on a park bench eating the fumes wont give someone second hand grease and contact heart disease.

Smoking is a dirty vile habit, plain and simple.
The vile odors exuding with your sweat and being passed by your GI tract from that food are extremely offensive. You must not do this in public, you must do this only in your own home, and you must remain there for at least 8 hours after having consumed it in order to protect the public from your odor.

You also cannot wear perfumes or other scented products in public in an attempt to cover up this odor, because these are also offensive to [some] people.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This sort of thing has become extremely ridiculous. Everybody is getting 'offended' by something or other and we are being told that we *must* cater to every single thing that somebody finds offensive or 'bothers' them in some way. (The perfume thing comes from a sign in my doctor's office forbidding people to wear scented products.) I'm getting tired of this stuff.

You want to know what a bigger health problem is?

People who go to work or out in public, KNOWING that they are sick and carrying an infectious disease and infecting others. This is costing billions of dollars in lost productivity and increased health costs for treatment, which could be avoided if the infectious person were to avoid contact with others. I'm even beginning to think that people who knowingly contact others while carrying an infectious disease should be charged with criminal violations of assault and negligence.

The BS of vilifying smokers because they are doing something that someone else thinks is 'bad' for them is dwarfed by the problem of infected people intentionally carrying their disease to others and infecting *them*, demonstrably detrimental to *others* and quite avoidable. Not only is this costly in monetary terms, it can actually cause death to the people who are negligently exposed to a disease, especially in the elderly and others who may have compromised immune systems.

I have been thinking of this more and more often lately, and more so since an ignorant coworker came to work sick, and, even after I warned him to stay away from me he persisted in getting close (and he is one of those people who has to get within inches of your face when he talks to you) multiple times, and *laughing* about it...until I told him that I seriously considered it a physical assault and that if he continued I would resort to violence in defense. It was, however, too late by that time and I became ill as well, which in addition to being miserable and affected for weeks, also cost me lost money because I was unable to work. This was a nasty little virus and even a month later I am still feeling the effects of it...and it was completely avoidable had this individual *not* intentionally carried it into the workplace, knowingly exposing others to his disease.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:24 AM

21 posts, read 46,648 times
LMAO ! That's "rich"...Having spent the last 6 years training in Krav Maga, you'd be flat on your ssa before you had both feet out your car door, old man. Now please politely apologize to me and everyone else you've been so rude to on this forum. Thank you, now you're dismissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltreehat View Post
Newtone, I am certain that you would find the results interesting because you would be crying and your pants would be very wet. In addition, I imagine you'd quickly retreat to your home and be scared to leave it again for quite some time for fear of upsetting me, but you'd learn your lesson and learn it good, you would.

I've developed a new habit, whenever somebody is smoking around me, I simply must pass gas directly in their face and then I must scream in their face. Society needs to make special accommodations and tolerate these things because they are my habits, and if smokers have taught us anything, if you have a habit you should get special treatment.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 712 times
A bunch of baloney. Second hand smoke is not as dangerous as they want you to believe. They make it against the rules so they can make money. Pure and simple. If you break the rules they make money. They evict you, you pay a ridiculous cleaning fee, and still make you responsible for the remainder of your lease even though you do not live there. Hotels can make you pay $500 if they catch you smoking. The police can write you a ticket and the city will make money. Cigarettes are legal to buy, with added tax revenue for street cleaning and cancer research (another scam). Think about it, you can light all the candles you want, and get as drunk as you want in your apartment, but you cant smoke?

Old 05-27-2016, 12:02 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The problem is enforcing lease agreements. All too many times, when tenants read "smoking is allowed outside only," that tends to end up in practice as, "smoking is allowed outside only when the landlord is around." So many landlords just institute a no smoking policy so they don't have to deal with it.

But mostly it has to do with insurance policies. Every year, apartment buildings burn down because of careless smokers. Smoking is considered a major risk for insurance companies.

It raises issues with smoke detectors. Some tenants will disconnect the smoke detectors in a place so they can smoke inside, which is a big no-no against NFPA rules. If a landlord gets caught with disconnected smoke detectors, he or she can have their insurance policy cancelled.

Same thing is true about barbecue grills. Some insurance companies won't even insure a rental if they see grills within 10 ft of a building, so many landlords just outright ban them so they can keep their insurance.
In Mexico, these would be non-issues, as they build everything down there with solid concrete, apartment buildings, houses, motels. What could possibly burn, beside some furniture?

In the U.S., developers want to build as fast as possible, and given the lumber companies are among the biggest lobbyists in this country, they don't want to hear the word Concrete! With that material, it's going to take a lot longer to put up a house, apartment building or motel. And don't believe it for one minute, the reason being is it would be more expensive!

I'm sure the Mexicans in the U.S. are astounded to hear of houses/apartment buildings going up in flames here because someone fell asleep smoking on a sofa!

Old 05-27-2016, 06:19 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Something that baffles me:

Our society is hellbent on banning tobacco smoking from all public and many private places. Smokers are made to feel like criminals.

Yet at the same time we are hellbent on legalizing marijuana.

And it is often the same people screaming for both. I don't understand it at all. I must be old, because every time I turn on the news or talk to a stranger for more than 5 minutes or read a blog, I just want to scream...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0VNHe5fq30

Old 05-27-2016, 08:26 AM

597 posts, read 667,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
In Mexico, these would be non-issues, as they build everything down there with solid concrete, apartment buildings, houses, motels. What could possibly burn, beside some furniture?

In the U.S., developers want to build as fast as possible, and given the lumber companies are among the biggest lobbyists in this country, they don't want to hear the word Concrete! With that material, it's going to take a lot longer to put up a house, apartment building or motel. And don't believe it for one minute, the reason being is it would be more expensive!

I'm sure the Mexicans in the U.S. are astounded to hear of houses/apartment buildings going up in flames here because someone fell asleep smoking on a sofa!
The concrete thing is interesting. The other value of concrete - sound insulation. I had never lived in a place with concrete floors until I lived in a 17-story apartment building built in the 1970s. Could hear a little bit side to side if neighbors were really loud, but could not hear anyone above or below, which was great. Wish there were more concrete multi unit residences - at least the floor [note: obviously I just mean the base floor, not the exposed floor. Anything could be put on top - carpet, tile, real or faux wood.]

Old 05-27-2016, 08:30 AM

597 posts, read 667,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Something that baffles me:

Our society is hellbent on banning tobacco smoking from all public and many private places. Smokers are made to feel like criminals.

Yet at the same time we are hellbent on legalizing marijuana.

And it is often the same people screaming for both. I don't understand it at all. I must be old, because every time I turn on the news or talk to a stranger for more than 5 minutes or read a blog, I just want to scream...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0VNHe5fq30
I just heard on NPR the other day that smoking rates have dropped considerably in the past few years (15% of adults), including a 2% drop in the last year. These stats were for smoking tobacco. I wonder if any of that has been offset by people smoking marijuana. My gut tells me no, but I'd be interested to see if it's actually true or not.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:46 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

yea well just because its built with concrete doesn't mean it was built properly. I bet anything in mexico was built cheaply and with the most short cuts possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area