Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 02:57 PM

5 posts, read 14,712 times

Advertisements

Seems like people like Portland a lot more than Biddeford and trying to figure out why. Other than population a lot of the numbers seem similar. Are the personalities of the cities that different? Is one more a college town feel? Any info about nightlife, food, outdoor activities, ect would be great. Is cost of living much different, quality of schools? Is one better for an outsider to move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 09:17 PM

879 posts, read 2,330,889 times
Portland is the city in Maine. Biddeford is a town. Everything one could want is in Portland, including high rent rates. Biddeford is much more affordable, but it is lacking in the diversity of amenities that Portland has. It is also a bit scummier, but it is turning around a bit. Many businesses are moving to Biddeford now that Portland is getting to expensive. There are some great neighborhoods in Biddeford too, but there are also plenty that are not.

You can always split the difference, and check out Saco.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:11 AM

9,639 posts, read 5,974,714 times
Downtown Biddefords a dump. While it's turning around, it's going to take awhile still.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:13 AM

137 posts, read 163,172 times
What dubthang said. I don't mean to dump on Biddeford, but there is really not much there. It is an old factory town. Depending on where you're coming from, you may not even think that Portland has much going on, in which case Biddeford would be a major let-down. Any evidence of "happening" in Maine is in Portland.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:09 PM

Biddeford is not all bad. They have George's which makes awesome italian sandwiches. Portland Pie moved in. Alex Pizza is an icon of downtown. Bebe's Burritos for mexican. Banded Horn brews there, and has opened up a tasting room. They make some excellent beers. Clifford park is great for exploring; I mountain bike there often. It is a small run down town with stuff to offer if you aren't looking for city living.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:03 AM

5 posts, read 14,712 times
Thanks for the info. Are both school districts fairly equal?

Old 03-27-2016, 12:54 PM

I'm not sure about the schools system in Biddeford, but I'd assume it is below Portland's.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:08 PM

22,836 posts, read 28,065,210 times
When we first moved to Maine, our landlord asked us why we left Washington, and we said that we were tired of living with gangs on the streets, drug deals in broad daylight, and crime you couldn't get away from. He laughed and said, "Yeah, in Maine you have to go to Biddeford for that."

He was mostly joking. Mostly.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:30 AM

201 posts, read 193,292 times
ftcwt,
I think you have to look at where you live now and what you like/dislike about a neighborhood. Portland and Biddeford have certain areas that are similar - in particular the poor/ run down areas, but Portland has more variety of housing/ income.
I believe the taxes in Portland are much higher and I always hated paying for trash bags that were required for home owners. Biddeford has a "nice aka wealthy" area but Portland has that and also a big middle area along with some not so great areas. For that reason Biddeford seems to me pretty extreme, mostly lower income a few (probably out of staters) with very elegant homes in a smaller exclusive area).

If you're a runner/ active definitely Portland --the Back Bay trail is popular and they have a great aquatics pool system and gym chains. Portland is also close(r) to cape Elizabeth which has that iconic lighthouse at Fort Williams in Cape Elizabeth which some like to run around in or simply walk and picnic.

I suspect Biddeford is cheaper but from what you are asking about I think Portland is more up your alley. Depends again on what your standards are. Parts of Portland are actually close to westbrook and I'd say Portland has USM and a branch of UNE so Portland the winner again (the home campus of UNE is in Biddeford but unless you're a residential dorm dweller not relevant here).

There is something for everyone in Maine, depending on what you are looking for. Depending on what you are willing to pay (if you have pets, kids, blah blah) maybe South Portland is cheaper and next to Portland. Cape Elizabeth is more expensive (old money). Falmouth / yarmouth/ Cumberland (new money) might be limited in apartments. Scarborough / Saco area has nice areas is reasonably priced and near Biddeford and South Portland/Portland. Old Orchard Beach- another option.

I wouldn't just compare those two and ignore others but if you are only looking at those two AND you are active and want arts, nightlife etc I'd definitely go with Portland. The Old port is fun night or day (little rowdy at night). Also museums used to be free on Mondays? It's really a question of rents in Portland and taking time to consider the immediate neighborhood (some of them change rapidly) especially on "munjoy hill". Nice/ not nice. Take a walk around, people will talk to you.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:04 PM

433 posts, read 1,007,093 times
To even compare Portland to Biddeford in any way is proposterous. Biddefords best quality is its proximity to the beach. It's not that Portland is so amazing, but Portland is a cozy charming miniture city with cobblestone streets, nightlife, an active walkable downtown with restaurants, live music and little shops everywhere ect. Biddeford isnt any of that, the two couldn't be more different. Only reason I can even think of to live there is if its closer to your job and you like a short commute to the beach. Because it's run down and nothing there, rent is cheaper too.

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 04-03-2016 at 08:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area