U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 AM

90 posts, read 195,149 times

Advertisements

Ok, just got back from a 2 day visit. OMG!!!! WHAT A WONDERFUL CITY!!! I have never been made to feel more at home in all the places I have been across these United States.

The Inn at St. John, WOW!!! The nicest people, clean room and one of the best stays I have ever enjoyed. I was a little worried being so far from everything, but it took no time to get into town by bus, even walking, it didn't take long to get into town either. I have to give that place and you cannot beat the price. I paid around 75.00 per night for this wonderful room vs the high price of a corporate chain in the downtown area that I was finding on-line.

The people in Portland are some of the nicest I have ever met. Coming from Pittsburgh, I am not use to people just saying, Hello, Good Morning, Good Afternoon.... as you pass them on the sidewalk. What a pleasant surprise. I saw a man, who looked like he didn't have a penny to his name, give another man a dollar for the bus because the man only had a 1 and a 5. Just offered it right up, how amazingly nice that was of him.

I love that there is everything the big cities have and still a small town feel. Everything we have been looking for, and everything pretty much within walking distance. Looking forward to dumping our SUV and going more "green".

The only thing I didn't care for was all the dog poop on the sidewalks. Walking up the hill to 7/11 to get smokes, the sidewalks were really icy so the only way up the hill was skirting the snow for traction..... I was amazed that in such a nice city all the poop I had to avoid. At least it's bio-degradable... LOL.

Thank you Portland for such an enjoyable visit. I am so looking forward to our move there! Everything I have read about how wonderful Portland is was true. You ALL totally Rock!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:02 AM

404 posts, read 695,708 times
C-Chelle,

Thanks for the update after reading your post about beauty salon's, I was wondering how your visit went. I have a great salon in the old port that fits your description one but I know they don't have and open chair. Great to hear continued good feedback on for Inn on St John. People in general usually pick up their dog poop around here, and portland is a very dog friendly city. I've noticed more poop in the winter, and I'm not sure why I can only guess that owners are more careful about bending over on ice while holding a dog leash? or maybe they are less reluctant to step up on the snow bank to get it and there is always the possibility of being too lazy yo take gloves off to deal with the poop bag. Its most likely the latter. I always pick up mine and I don't think you will find it a city full off poop :-)
I hope your relocation goes well....keep us posted.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:24 PM

90 posts, read 195,149 times
Thanks atrixwolfe It was a real good visit. We are so looking forward to making Portland our new home. Hopefully within the next month or two..... fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area