U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,115 times

Advertisements

Hello! New to City Data and basically just looking for some opinions on the Portland area. I was born in southern Maine, lived on the mid-coast briefly, and then moved out of state while still young due to my father's job. We eventually settled in southeastern PA, which is where I live now with my own family. My husband was born and raised in this area, and fell in love with Maine when we went there on our honeymoon. He has become increasingly more obsessed with moving there as the years go on While I am not against moving, I am a little more...cautious than he is, and have a few concerns.
First, we have three small children, and would like them to be in a good school district. It does not have to be the best in the nation (we don't have that where we are now, either), but decent would be nice. From my preliminary research it looks there are some very good schools, but some very poor ones also. Any insight into the best districts/ones to avoid?
Also, there seems to be a little bit of a disparity between the cost of living in Portland and the salaries. I expect cost of living to be higher in a city, but I also expect the salaries to be somewhat higher to make up for it. My husband is sales manager and I am an RN....those particular professions seem to pay lower in Portland than in our area, but housing costs, etc, are higher. Does anyone know if this holds true? My research has just been general internet searches on PayScale.com, etc, so I'm hoping that maybe it is not completely accurate.
Finally, just wondering about general livability for a family of five. We love outdoor activities and the kids love museums, etc. My husband and I are not that into nightlife, as far as nightclubs, etc.....but we do like pubs, live music, etc. We also don't like the idea of being right IN a city, though....we need some space around us, and some privacy. Portland actually seems ideal in this way, but do most people actually find this to be true?
I am not really in love with the area we are in now, but I also don't want to move with unrealistic expectations and then be disappointed, especially with kids involved. We will be up in the Portland area this summer and plan on looking around more seriously.....any suggestions on specific areas would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 01:31 PM

1,910 posts, read 4,625,612 times
Housing prices tend to be higher in Portland than other areas in the northeast (upstate NY, etc.) due to the proximity to the ocean. We've also got natural gas heat in less than 5% of the homes statewide, most concentrated in "urban" areas, which is also where you're likely to find public water and sewer. In general, the larger the lot your house is on, the more likely you are to not have natural gas nor city water and sewer. This often comes a surprise to buyers I work with. It will be up to you to decide what your wants and needs in a home are and what your budget is. It will also be difficult to obtain financing without 30-60 days of pay stubs in a current occupation, unless you are transferring within the company. I worked with a teacher who changed school districts this past summer and she had to wait until October to close due to the job change.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,115 times
Thank you for the links--very good information. I appreciate it.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:40 PM

18,606 posts, read 22,371,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlan11 View Post
Finally, just wondering about general livability for a family of five. We love outdoor activities and the kids love museums, etc. My husband and I are not that into nightlife, as far as nightclubs, etc.....but we do like pubs, live music, etc. We also don't like the idea of being right IN a city, though....we need some space around us, and some privacy. Portland actually seems ideal in this way, but do most people actually find this to be true?
Depends on what you mean by "space around us." Portland is a small city by most standards, but it's still a city.

Check out Brunswick. We have Bowdoin College with a museum, theater, and concerts. And if it's not enough, Portland is only a a train ride or 25 minute drive away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or