Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 AM

11 posts, read 24,850 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there that has moved from Florida to Portland, ME please give me an HONEST assessment of whether or not it was a good idea in retrospect. Im looking for a "been there, done that" kind of response here...I'm looking to get out of miami and need some feedback before i make the jump. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 09:13 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeINmiami View Post
Anyone out there that has moved from Florida to Portland, ME please give me an HONEST assessment of whether or not it was a good idea in retrospect. Im looking for a "been there, done that" kind of response here...I'm looking to get out of miami and need some feedback before i make the jump. Thanks.
It all depends on what you want, and what you are willing to give up to get it. Miami has tons of people, traffic, heat, sandy beaches and night-life. Maine, not so much.

People are different, not everyone wants, or is happy with, the same things. I didn't like Miami, too crowded. I like country living.

What is it that you are looking for?

Old 10-23-2007, 10:28 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I did it in 1973 when I got out of the Navy. My last duty station was Pensacola. I never regretted it. In my profession I could live nearly anywhere. I'll never leave Maine again.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:40 AM

11 posts, read 24,850 times
Im in law enforcement, my wifes a teacher. We want to get AWAY from the crime, congestion (did I spell that right?), and daily headache that is miami. We want a nice place to raise a family. I need to (obviously) get a job, and buy a house in a nice area.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:42 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Lincoln, Maine just hired a new police chief which they do on a regular basis. Maine has a lot of turnover in most law enforcement agencies and there are good opportunities for officers "from away" because the crooks don't know you.

There are good opportunities for teachers also. I think the average age of teachers is 55 and we are about to have a very large turnover in the profession due to retirements. You are both well suited for our job market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area