U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 12:40 PM

6 posts, read 7,508 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me more information as to why Maine has the highest cancer rates in the US--even when controlled for age and race? It has one of the highest rates of lung cancer but not so many smokers--is it radon/arsenic/pollution? I am thinking of moving there but this fact may influence my decision.I am thinking of moving to the Portland area but this fact has really scared me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 01:46 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"🙏 ❄⭐🎄⛄
2,716 posts, read 5,355,082 times
Lightbulb Thank you for your thread. Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA2? View Post
Can anyone give me more information as to why Maine has the highest cancer rates in the US--even when controlled for age and race? It has one of the highest rates of lung cancer but not so many smokers--is it radon/arsenic/pollution? I am thinking of moving there but this fact may influence my decision.I am thinking of moving to the Portland area but this fact has really scared me.

Welcome to the forum

I am looking forward to replies to your thread.

I have wondered about the same
There are different theories floating around...

Thank you for your thread.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:12 PM

157 posts, read 307,276 times
The 2012 state health rankings are out. Maine ranks in 9th place but, as you stated, has a high rate of cancer deaths and a high percentage of the population smokes. You can see Maine's detailed profile here.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:05 PM

32,024 posts, read 52,164,593 times
Maine does not compare badly for: breast cancer, cervical cancer, ovary cancer, prostate cancer, and skin cancer. For these cancers we rank pretty well.

A little worse for colon cancer [though not in the worst grouping]. Which is unlike these states: Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.

Maine ranks badly for lung cancer; along with: Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Tennessee, and West Virginia. However when it comes to treating lung cancer in Maine, we rank much better.

Maine also ranks badly for uterine cancer; along with: Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, and West Virginia. Again when it comes to treating uterine cancer in Maine, we rank much better.

West Virginia and Maine, together seem to rank poorly in terms of lung [though WV also ranks in the bottom grouping for curing lung cancer], and uterine cancers.

So even though we rank in the worst grouping for people getting lung cancers and uterine cancers; we are not in the worst groupings for deaths from those cancers.

CDC - Lung Cancer Rates by State

Old 03-01-2013, 12:42 PM
gg

20,721 posts, read 20,028,071 times
It is odd to see overall cancer ratings so high in New England.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:48 AM

90 posts, read 195,149 times
could be all the fish you all eat up there..... the ocean is the worlds dumping ground..... lobsters are bottom feeders right?

might be worth a study.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:57 PM

103 posts, read 153,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA2? View Post
If you look at the data published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, you'll see that the northeastern states in general (e.g., Vermont, Rhode Island, NY,CT, Pennsylvania) have a higher cancer rate than the rest of the U.S. I wonder if this is just an artifact of better cancer reporting due to a less transient population. At least, I HOPE that's what the data are showing.

Just my opinion, of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area