U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 08:00 AM

11 posts, read 16,794 times

Advertisements

Hi there-- I've been reading these posts for the past few months and thought I would finally post. My family is considering a move to the Portland/Falmouth area for next Summer 2014 when my husband is done with his training. We are both in the medical field and we have two young children (our oldest will be getting ready to head to kindgergarten fall of 2014 and our youngest will be 3 and so we will be looking for a preschool for her.

I am wondering if someone can weigh in on their opinions of the school districts surrounding Portland. I have read that Falmouth is good and so is Cape Elizabeth but I would really appreciate any opinions from someone who has/does live there. Also, do the schools offer full day kindgerarten or half day kindergarten? Does anyone know of any great preschools in the area?

Another thing we are wondering about is the proximity to grocery stores, Target, movies, malls, etc. We live in Syracuse and we are accustomed to being very close to stores and movies etc. It seems that in Portland things are more spread out but I wanted to know from someone who lives there. Thank you in advance for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 12:22 PM

1,910 posts, read 4,623,368 times
Welcome to the forum, I think you'll like in the Greater Portland area, my daughter is in kindergarten this year and loving it. As a licensed real estate agent, I can't comment on the quality of the school systems, but I'm sure my fellow Whofan atrixwolfe will check in shortly with her input. I believe that almost all of Cumberland County has full day kindergarten with the exception of Cape Elizabeth and Gorham.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:49 AM

40,162 posts, read 19,585,643 times
My grand daughter goes to "The Breakwater School" in Portland. I can't say enough good things about it! Breakwater is a small private school that is dedicated to educating the whole child and fostering independence, creativity, and curiosity and a joy for life. Whenever I visited Breakwater I was always amazed at the staff and children and the involvement of parents....in the community of learning.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 AM

843 posts, read 1,005,804 times
Breakwater sounds like the public elementary schools I attended in Minnesota many years ago (the 1950s). The emphasis was on thinking and problem solving rather than preparation for a future job.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 PM

18,562 posts, read 22,358,418 times
I've heard that the movie theater in Falmouth is rather grungy, but I've never been there myself. But there are some great movie theaters throughout Portland and nearby towns.

You'll never be far from a grocery store.

I'm not sure about Target. I know there is one in Topsham (about 15 minutes from Falmouth). I'd be very surprised if there isn't one in Portland or South Portland, but I'm not sure.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 AM

404 posts, read 695,708 times
It took me a while, but I finally posted. The schools in both Falmouth & Cape are very good, as is Yarmouth & Cumberland.
Since I'm from away (not fond of that term, but its intended to be kindly, I think), I can only attribute this to a large about of the town taxes attributed to the school budget and parental involvement. I can only speak to the cape school, which I've heard does have 1/2 day kindergarten.
More of the shopping & movie theaters tend to be in scarborough, by the maine mall, there you have everything and its not a far drive 10-15 mins from falmouth straight down 295. Target, 2 nice movie theaters, Lowes, homedepot, marshalls, tjmax, home goods, petsmart mart all there. Groceries are close by everywhere. You'll find more independant stores and restaurants here than your probably used to. Falmouth does have a good collection of stores & car dealers near the walmart, you can see it on google maps. There area needs more DRs & nurses, so I think you'll do well here, of course the need is greater further north. Have you considered, watherville, bangor or even Barharbor area? Just saying I know they have a need for medical professionals in those areas. Bangor has a target. :-)

Old 03-27-2013, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,481 times
Here's a link to the State school testing results, for what it's worth.
Maine Education - Standards & Assessment - MEA - State and School Results

Falmouth and Portland certainly have handier access to shopping (including Target, TJMaxx, and Maine Mall) and entertainment than does Cape Elizabeth, which is further from Rte 295 and I-95. But you may find the area more compact than it looks on a map. It's very easy to get around.

As both a REALTOR and a writer, I find that local newspapers provide a glimpse of an area's day-to-day personality. This one covers a bunch of Greater Portland towns:

The Forecaster | Your source for local news
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area