Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 08:16 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times

Advertisements

Are there any neighborhoods or particular streets that should be avoided (sketchy areas) if looking for an apartment? From what I've read, there aren't any terrible, crime-ridden areas in Portland (unless I'm wrong on that), but what parts might be less safe? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,562 times
There aren't any terrible areas. It certainly isn't NYC. However these are some less desirable areas: lower end of Grant Street, lower end of Cumberland, lower end of Walnut, Hemlock Street. But this all depends on your age and ethnicity (it's true). There are areas with a ton of low-income Section 8 apartments. But I would say that 80% of Portland in livable.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:05 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Sherman Street. Don't go.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:06 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Portland and Maine in general for the most part have avoided the violent crime problems associated with many of the larger urban areas around the country. However not only do I feel that will not last forever as the culture of Portland changes more and more assimilating those larger metro areas the violent aspect of crime will rear its ugly head. I also believe is has started to do so. With that said though there are ALL of the other problems associated with poor run down areas of any city. Petty crime, domestic violence, drugs, ect ect.. With Portland being relatively small geographically you might find that a few streets over from a decent street is not a place to call home.. I know Portland from driving around there of the good and bad areas but its hard for me to put it on paper.. I hope you are not looking for apt blindly (with out coming and viewing the area)? It's unfortunate but price matters and you get what you pay for so not knowing your budget you will have to take that under consideration. Portland has like a 2% vacancy rate so Landlords are not desperate!! if you are on a strict budget you might find value going outside of Portland as commuting in Maine is a lot better than what you would find outside of Maine! good luck

Old 05-07-2013, 10:27 AM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Whenever someone asks me this question, I always ask them a question in response before answering: "Where are you coming from?"

If the answer is some other small/medium/large urban area, then I typically tell them that nothing in Portland is bad enough to avoid altogether. There are more attractive areas than others, and there are those that I'd prefer for my family to others, but the "worst" of Portland is middle of the road in many/most other places. I remember hearing horrible things about Sherman St., Grant St. and almost all of Bayside before I moved to Portland (having lived in Providence, DC and Boston). After seeing them in person (and looking at rentals in those places), I had a good laugh. Are they pretty? No. But they're not dangerous either. Not more than most other neighborhoods to anyone who has lived in an urban area before.

If the answer is "never in a city," then I'd suggest they avoid the above locations (Sherman, Grant, Bayside). Not because they're sure to be mugged or killed, but because those neighborhoods aren't "great" and they'd make the adjustment that much harder for someone who has never lived in an urban area before.

In a nutshell, there is no neighborhood or street in Portland that is so bad or dangerous that should be avoided at all costs. However, some neighborhoods are better than others and for someone who is already uncertain about living in an urban area, avoiding the less wonderful neighborhoods in favor of the better ones can make the transition easier. However, for someone coming from another city, picking one of the "less appealing" neighborhoods can actually provide great value. Rents are lower in those less desirable spots and they're in good proximity to downtown (all within walking distance). It's all relative.

My advice would be to compile rental listings that have intrigued you (regardless of location) and go see them. If you're comfortable with what you see, then take it. There's no place in Portland that you should avoid driving or walking through during the day (and in my opinion, the night). If you feel comfortable when you're in the neighborhood, you'll be fine. If you don't, it doesn't matter what anyone says, you won't enjoy living there. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherchase View Post
There aren't any terrible areas. It certainly isn't NYC. However these are some less desirable areas: lower end of Grant Street, lower end of Cumberland, lower end of Walnut, Hemlock Street.
I lived on Hemlock for two years (2008-10). It was perfectly fine. (I was 22-24 years old and white.. I'm still white). It wasn't the prettiest area in the city, but it wasn't dangerous. I never felt uncomfortable and the neighbors I spoke with were all pleasant enough (a number of families, even though it's a tiny street). In two years on that street there wasn't a single incident (even an unremarkable one) that involved the police coming. My girlfriend at the time worked in restaurants and was walking on the street at night (we didn't have off street parking) and never had so much as an uncomfortable encounter. It's a quiet, if unattractive, 1.5 block street.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:37 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times
I appreciate the advice and info. If I decide to retire to the Portland area, then I will certainly spend time there looking at apartments before making a commitment. I've visited several times and have friends much further up the coast, but I wanted to at least have a sense of what streets to avoid. I have lived in large and small cities, but as I get older and live solo in retirement, I would like to feel reasonably safe walking around my neighborhood in the daytime, and maybe early evening. And my car is not likely to be in a garage, so vandalism risk is important. Stuff happens everywhere....unfortunately. I'm sure once I get there and drive around various streets, I'll get a feel for a neighborhood. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area