U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 05:53 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,394,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix Bainger-Davis View Post
Hello! Not sure if you're still checking this thread but I just wanted to get in touch to see if you were still in N. Yarmouth and see how you were finding it 4 years on if you're still there?
We've been looking to possibly relocate with my husband's job and have considered Australia, Canada and the US. The US was third on the list as, being from the UK and with a young family, we were a little worried about gun crime and gun accidents. I know Maine is one of the safest states though crime wise, although is in the middle of the table when it comes to gun deaths. My husband and I both studied at USM for a while, (where we met), so we know the Portland area well, although we haven't been to North Yarmouth. But through extensive research we felt this would be a nice place to bring up the children should we decide to relocate to Maine. We felt it was close enough to Portland, we wanted to be near the coast, (as we live on the coast in the UK), we wanted somewhere fairly quiet but with access to things to do, places to go etc. and also somewhere that had low crime. I also understand that N. Yarmouth schools are quite good. Did your children attend North Yarmouth Memorial School by any chance? Would love to know what you thought of the school as well as the area. Hope you're all still doing great there!
Hi Alix,

While I certainly don't want to minimize concern about gun violence, because it can and does happen, I think it's important to keep relative risks in mind. In my (fairly long) life I've never known anyone who was affected by gun violence. I have known several people who were killed in car accidents, most alcohol related, some not.

There are places in the US with a lot of violent crime, but if you avoid those, in my experience, you probably don't need to worry too much about gun violence.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 06:47 AM

35 posts, read 60,490 times
Default Going on 4 years in N.Yarmouth

Hi. We all really like it here and feel very blessed that we chose this area. N. Yarmouth is rural, but very accessible to everything. We have what we need in this area. It is nice being a short distance to Portland, Freeport and Topsham for shopping. The schools have been fabulous. I have a freshman and senior now. To answer your question, my youngest did attend the elementary school before they closed it and moved it to the school campus. I like the fact that all the schools are on one campus in Cumberland. Greely has a huge, successful sports program and a new arts center will be added onto the Highschool. N. Yarmouth is building a beautiful community center at the old elementary school that will offer activities and services for families and seniors. We have a Fun Day scheduled in Sept. That brings our small community together and there are numerous other gatherings such as bean suppers, small outdoor concerts, Sleigh Day, Plow Day, Cider Day at the lovely Skyline Farms. Since Cumberland and N.Yarmouth share the same school district, we enjoy events and activities in Cumberland. We like the family atmosphere of the 5K's, bike races and parades. We love the library in Cumberland. It is a hub for gatherings and activities for all ages. Again, think small, quiet, safe and rural. Good luck in your search for your new home!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area