Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,993 times

Advertisements

The wife and I are planning a trip Maine. What are the best seafood restaurants in Portland? I like lobster! I also hear McDonalds has good lobster rolls. Is the ocean too cold to swim in June?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 02:44 PM

5 posts, read 8,900 times
What is your price range? Are you looking for somewhere fancy or casual?
If you go to this site:http://www.urbanspoon.com/f/24/2350/Portland/Seafood-Restaurants
A top result (that is really good!) is RingSide Steakhouse, http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/24/283083/restaurant/Goose-Hollow/Ringside-Steakhouse-Portland

Same business opened up a RingSide Fish House in 2011-- excellent! http://www.ringsidefishhouse.com

Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 AM

177 posts, read 408,090 times
Go to Docks in South Portland. Not fancy and everything is fried, but the seafood is very fresh and you get twin lobsters for $16.99.

End your meal at Red's Dairy Barn also in South Portland. All the ice cream is soft serve and they carry a million flavors. Their peanut butter shake is to die for, and very affordable!

IMO any water north of Boston is too cold in June, but I like to swim in the warm Caribbean waters, so consider the source...

Old 03-23-2013, 03:25 AM

279 posts, read 702,307 times
Go to Pine Point in Scarborough for better seafood. Kens Place is my fave. The water is FREEZING!

Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 AM

177 posts, read 410,212 times
It really depends on your budget. There are some fantastic high-end restaurants in Portland with amazing seafood, and there are also restaurants that serve only fried seafood (albeit fresh). If you are looking for nice, then try "Five Fifty Five" on Congress - the mussels are out of this world. Also, a new place opened up in the old port called "Eventide". It's an oyster bar, but they have other stuff too, I think. Check them out.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlORy View Post
What is your price range? Are you looking for somewhere fancy or casual?
If you go to this site:Portland Seafood Restaurants | Urbanspoon
A top result (that is really good!) is RingSide Steakhouse, Ringside Steakhouse - Goose Hollow - Portland | Urbanspoon

Same business opened up a RingSide Fish House in 2011-- excellent! Portland Seafood Restaurants | RINGSIDE Fish House
Wrong Portland. Ringside Fish House is in Portland, OREGON.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:02 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Default Lobster rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo1357 View Post
The wife and I are planning a trip Maine. What are the best seafood restaurants in Portland? I like lobster! I also hear McDonalds has good lobster rolls. Is the ocean too cold to swim in June?
You really can do better than McDonalds for lobster rolls.....almost every restaurant/diner/fry shack/chowdah house/ road side fish market....has lobster rolls. One of my favorites was a little fish store on rt 1 in Scarborough that made lobster rolls to go. http://www.yelp.com/biz/scarborough-...er-scarborough ..someone else mentioned Pine Point....there are several places with excellent lobster and clam rolls--its what they do.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,754 times
Oddly, Portland has always been a little weak in the seafood category. But some bright spots: Fish tacos at the wildly popular El Rayo. Fried fish and chowder at Gilbert's Chowderhouse. Lobster on the dock at Maine Lobster Co. And Hardin Lee Smith, of the wildly popular Front Room, Grill Room, etc, is currently building a seafood "room" on one of the docks. (Locals will know this dock as the one where The Porthole used to be.) That should be a fantastic development. Lobster lovers should know that many places, including Shaws Supermarket and Free Range Fish & Lobster, will cook your "bugs" for you.
Hannah Holmes

Old 03-27-2013, 04:45 PM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Shaws does a really nice job with the lobsters.....

Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 PM

321 posts, read 486,560 times
I second the recommendation for Eventide if you like oysters. It's quite a little gem...a real oyster bar in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area