U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-19-2013, 03:11 PM
 
1,587 posts, read 2,150,883 times
Reputation: 1614

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
Too many assumptions in your posts, mainegrl. Stick to facts or your own experience. I'm retired (as one example of your incorrect assumptions). The jobs situation in Maine bothered us while we were there because it was difficult to meet and know so many people who were genuinely struggling financially. People with impressive work ethics and/or education struggling with many part-time jobs and other financial difficulties in taking care of their families. It had nothing to do with our own experience or why we didn't stay after a few years. The OP's post struck a chord that resonated with our experience there. Your posts just prove my point. Defiant, blustery attitudes about Mainers vs Maine citizens. There's certainly much to be proud of, but also much that's very disturbing. The percentage of the population struggling economically is one of the latter.
Who do you think you are telling me what to think and what to post. It's still a free country. We are both entitled to our opinions just like everyone else. If you want to accuse me of making assumptions, at least make a list. I definitely try to avoid making assumptions because of the a$$ out of u and me thing. That's what happens when someone assumes... I think it would be more accurate to say US citizens and Maine residents. Someone must agree with me because reps are coming in.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 05-19-2013 at 04:24 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2013, 03:58 PM
 
1,587 posts, read 2,150,883 times
Reputation: 1614
[quote=Sunday1;29635316]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
There have been comments made about young people leaving the state to find jobs. I have an idea of a way to increase job opportunities for Mainers....pass a law that if you're not a native, you're not allowed to be hired for any job in Maine. Now that would raise the eyebrows and light up CD. That would preserve and reserve jobs for Mainers, wouldn't it? Do we want more jobs for Mainers (natives) or more jobs for those "from away?" Maybe the problem isn't a lack of jobs but rather too many people "from away" being hired........something to think about. I have heard that the blueberry industry can't find enough Mainers to harvest the crops. There was a time when native Mainers were harvesting the blueberry crop. Now they rely on people from away.[/quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post


I don't know where you were born, but you clearly don't possess an American spirit or sensibility. That's about the least patriotic attitude imaginable. And one that hurts Maine. There are more than a few gorgeous states with beautiful coastlines (ocean and lake) that are not "over-developed" and that have protected landscapes yet diverse economies, opportunity, and a larger middle class than Maine does. I refuse to list them, lest they be ripped apart by more of your vitriolic remarks.
Sunday1: If you can't take the heat, might as well get out of the debate. You have a "from away perspective." You may think I have no American spirit or sensibility (your opinion, btw); it doesn't matter to me what you think. I am a native Mainer to the core and since Maine is part of the U.S., I must be American. It doesn't matter whether you list the states or not. The states on your list aren't Maine. Putting something in bold print doesn't make it true, btw....still just your opinion. I don't mind if you don't agree with me. You are entitled to your opinion just like everyone else....that includes me. You tell me to stick to the facts, yet you type opinions. Some of my friends have nicknamed me Paulette Revere. They must think I am Patriotic even if you do not. Hmmm.... Doesn't it say "The Spirit of America" on the Mass. license plate?

My ideas would help native Mainers find jobs within Maine rather than handing the jobs over to those from away. Some from aways arrive and find jobs or vice versa. (I'm not counting the retirees who already have an income in this discussion.) Then some people from away complain about the lack of jobs and low pay in Maine. Really? It seems to me that people from away are part of the problem yet they have the gall to criticize Maine's lack of jobs and low pay? My idea doesn't hurt Maine unless you think Maine is dependent on people from away working in Maine in order for the state to continue its existence.

Vitrolic?--how about passionate. I think it's about time someone spoke up about this lack of jobs in Maine issue and college educated individuals (native Mainers) not being able to find jobs associated with their degrees. If jobs are so limited, why not fix this problem for native Mainers by hiring natives or at least giving them first refusal on any particular job over those from away. We hear so much about buying native veggies; why not hire native Mainers? I will just click my heels and repeat, "There's NO place like Maine; there's NO place like Maine; there's NO place like Maine."

I know of one coastal state who experienced a shortage of workers; they went to other states to recruit people. This is a totally different situation than what happens in Maine. Do you think Maine has a shortage of natives who need jobs?

Do you think Maine should give businesses (of course only the clean businesses) millions of dollars to relocate to Maine?

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 05-19-2013 at 04:45 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 PM
 
7,069 posts, read 4,243,288 times
Reputation: 6725
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
If you can't take the heat, might as well get out of the debate. You have a "from away perspective."
Can you take the heat? Here we go with more of the high and mighty attitude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
You may think I have no American spirit or sensibility (your opinion, btw);
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Some of my friends have nicknamed me Paulette Revere. They must think I am Patriotic even if you do not.
If suggesting the state doesn't allow foreigners (out of staters) the right to work within the state, something no other state has ever done, something completely divisive and unethical towards your fellow countrymen from other states means you're "patriotic" and have "American spirit or sensibility" ... Well... Obviously someone's definition of patriotic is off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I don't mind if you don't agree with me.
Obviously you do. It isn't uncommon for you to attack anyone from away being critical of Maine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
My ideas would help native Mainers find jobs within Maine rather than handing the jobs over to those from away. Some from aways arrive and find jobs or vice versa. (I'm not counting the retirees who already have an income in this discussion.) Then some people from away complain about the lack of jobs and low pay in Maine. Really? It seems to me that people from away are part of the problem yet they have the gall to criticize Maine's lack of jobs and low pay? My idea doesn't hurt Maine unless you think Maine is dependent on people from away working in Maine in order for the state to continue its existence.
As JoulesMSU kindly pointed out, Maine lacks a skilled workforce because for a while now we have not needed one and those with skills often leave. So yes, your idea would hurt Maine. Aside from being completely unpatriotic towards the country as a whole, it only paints a state filled with backwards hicks so closed minded that they forget they are one of fifty states, all of whom allow anyone from any other state to work within their borders without any hassle.

People from away are not part of the problem. They are the solution. Closed minded societies go nowhere. Many minds, many experiences, many ideas are far more valuable than a couple.

You obviously lack much of an understanding of economics. Especially in your lack of understanding how reliant the state is on tourism and out of state dollars. With your idea lets really **** off the out of staters. We'd be a third world state in less than a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Vitrolic?--how about passionate. 1)I think it's about time someone spoke up about this lack of jobs in Maine issue and college educated individuals (native Mainers) not being able to find jobs associated with their degrees. 2)If jobs are so limited, why not fix this problem for native Mainers by hiring natives or at least giving them first refusal on any particular job over those from away. 3)We hear so much about buying native veggies; why not hire native Mainers? I will just click my heels and repeat, "There's NO place like Maine; there's NO place like Maine; there's NO place like Maine."
Passionate... Oh boy... Apparently we operate on different dictionaries.

1) Exactly what the people you came here and attacked were saying.

2) Your definition of patriotism is completely out of whack. With how you speak of Mexic... err out of staters you must abhor real Mexicans.

3) Quick! Next we need to build a wall to keep the foreigners... err people from Massachusetts out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Who do you think you are telling me what to think and what to post. It's still a free country. We are both entitled to our opinions just like everyone else.
See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
You are obviously not a native Mainer so as we read your derogatory post, we will consider the source of the rant. You sound like someone who moved to Maine and now lacks an acceptance of the state....if that's the case, go back to where you came from.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2013, 08:44 PM
 
1,250 posts, read 1,930,502 times
Reputation: 2548
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Your xenophobic attitude is not a good reflection on your state. It's also puzzling because you seem to have some kind of grudge against people "from away" and yet you fail to realize that as it currently stands, those people are the only thing that is keeping Maine running.

Maine basically has two major sources of income. Tourism (which relies on getting people "from away" to come spend their money in Maine) and rich retirees who pay massive taxes to live in the nice parts of Maine (these are also "people from away"). Without these, your state would completely collapse, because you have no way to support yourselves, since there are very few good paying jobs within your state.

And that's why it's so absurd that your state motto is "life the way it should be", since Maine is one of the worst states in the country to actually live in as a "normal person" trying to earn a living. Only those who don't know better would think that is "how it should be". And that's probably why it doesn't get fixed - because of this attitude you express; "this is how it is, if you don't like it, leave".

I guess people on welfare (the "natives", as you call them) are plenty content to keep being supported by all these people "from away" and not have to do anything yourself. But why be so vehemently opposed when people look at the situation and say "hey, wouldn't this be better if there were jobs so that Mainers could support themselves, rather than rely on welfare to get by"?

Your comment about "native workers only" further demonstrates your ignorance. Attracting better talent is better for everyone. It's all a cycle - if you have a good workforce, you will attract better jobs, the better jobs will attract an even better workforce, which will attract even better jobs, etc. If you limit your workforce to what you have, your less-than-stellar workforce will fail to attract new businesses, because the level of talent isn't there to draw them in. Maine currently has a very low skilled workforce. You can't attract good jobs on your own (if you could, they would already be there), so clearly you need to figure out how to get better workers to come to your state, and jump start the cycle.

Companies act in their own self interest, not the state's. You have to give them a reason to set up shop in your town if you want them there. They aren't just going to do it out of the "kindness of their hearts". We pulled off a huge coup a few years ago and got IBM to set up an office in Lansing thanks to partnerships with both the state government and Michigan State University. We accomplished that by providing a very talented workforce (Michigan State graduates) and a welcoming environment (state government made some deals to entice them to set up shop here). As a result, IBM has hired over 700 people for the Lansing office in the past 4 years and will be hiring another 125 this year. And these are all good jobs, they aren't "bust your ass in a hot factory for $10/hour", these are highly skilled salaried positions that people would move across the country to get. This isn't something that just randomly happened, IBM could have opened a new office anywhere in the country, but Lansing saw that it was going to be a huge boost to our economy if we could get them to do it here, so we made it happen.

This is what people are saying needs to happen in Maine - you have to entice the big companies to come to you. They aren't just going to do it on their own. In order to get a big company like that, and all the good jobs that come with it, you need to both have your local government work with them AND you have to get enough people capable of working for such a company in order to get them to come to Maine. If you say "well, the laws are what they are, we're not budging on them" or even "you can only hire Mainers" then those big companies are just going to laugh and create new jobs somewhere else (like they are currently doing).
mainegrl, this poster presents very well-reasoned points, and we should thank him/her for taking the time to analyze this issue.

But we won't, right, because he's "from away", so his points have no validitiy/interest for you or anyone who boasts of being a "native Mainer", which is certainly an accident of birth and no point of merit.

There are a couple of other points briefly touched on -- you think people from away should stay away, because they bring nothing of value to the people of Maine. Yet, the OP works with disabled people in Maine. I am "from away" and since I've been here I've worked with elderly disabled people in residential facilities, veterans, abused women, sufferers of dementia, and young school children. I have never worked a job that I haven't given %110 of my background, skills, energy, and heart. I consider it an honor to serve people, now in Maine, and I would never consider treating the people I care for differently regardless of where they come from.

And believe me, although you wish to disenfranchise me, the Maine Revenue Service is very happy to take my money. I have given and paid into this state, and invested my time and resources, bought land, voted, volunteered, and sung the praises of this state ever since I've moved here.

But you, the gatekeeper, wish to provide only an exit and no entrance. The problem is, so many young people -- and people "from away" with energy and ideas -- feel there's no future here and are taking that exit and not coming back. Thanks to the attitude you express so well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2013, 02:25 PM
 
7 posts, read 27,711 times
Reputation: 28
Whoa. I certainly take exception to some of the posts by mainegrl.
However, I feel very much like other posters "had my back" and let common sense and facts dictate tone, instead of opinion that is "almighty."
It's not like my post was an attack on Mainers, seeing THEM as second class people because I'm from "away."
Despite the bashing, I would like to make clear to anyone browsing the posts that mainegrl does not accurately portray the more prevalent attitude exhibited by the Mainers I know, especially in the Portland area, and THAT attitude is one of acceptance.

People said hi to me while walking the streets, people held doors and said "thank you", people helped shovel cars out for strangers in winter, people were approachable in restaurants and social settings. These people were from every walk of life, and I don't ever remember a big issue of people dehumanizing people by telling them to "leave the state to birth-right Mainers."
No, it's not perfect...but the reasons are economic that Maine is stuck in a downward spiral.

It's not because one Mainer was born here and the other was born in another state.
Don't be disheartened if you read xenophobic posts....It is just not that way here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2013, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Nashua area, NH
278 posts, read 578,532 times
Reputation: 399
I just wanted to add, that unless one is a Maliseet, Passamaquoddy, Abenaki or Penobscot, they cannot claim to be a native Mainer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 03:58 PM
 
2,147 posts, read 4,546,608 times
Reputation: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
One of your 'problems' is that you are limiting yourself by thinking that you have to work a 'JOB' (away from the family) in order to produce all of your income. This is NOT TRUE. A great many dissatisfied working people have fallen for the same lie, which keeps them 'Just Over Broke' and dependent on an employer, good little working stiffs who keep their mouths shut and take whatever is handed to them because they fear what would happen if they no longer had the 'JOB'.

The fact is, that there are many things you can do TOGETHER with your wife (& kids, if you have them) to increase your income. Being dependent on a single source of income is rarely a good idea, this concept is fairly well known in the business world and if you read the 10k and 10q statements for publicly held corporations you will see 'going concern' statements (warnings) if the company is wholly or mostly dependent on a single source of income. In most cases, you want (need) to have a number of independent income streams, so that in the event that any one stream 'dries up' you will still have income from other sources. Failure to have multiple income streams places the company in danger of bankruptcy if their only (or major) source of income goes away, and can make investment in that company a poor risk.

This is the land of opportunity, take advantage of it. The only one stopping you from producing your own income, independent of your 'JOB', is YOU.

It seems that a great many Americans have lost sight of the opportunities available to them, while foreign immigrants flock here to take advantage of them. I have heard a lot of people **** & moan about "foreigners" who come here and have a 'good life' and 'advantage' just handed to them on a silver platter, but it isn't true. I have first-hand knowledge of how they get themselves into positions that 'born here' citizens seem to think were just 'handed' to them- they work for several years (sometimes for extremely low wages), doing without 'luxuries' that some americans take for granted (cable/sat TV, etc) as 'necessities' (which they aren't- and anyone who is complaining about a lack of money but is sitting in front of the TV is just WRONG), saving every penny that isn't needed for immediate survival until they have enough money to start a business of their OWN, so that they are not stuck in the same cycle of working and being dependent on someone else that so many Americans think is the way it is 'supposed' to be.

The internet, transportation industry, and [relatively] cheap land available here make for some great opportunities- break free of thinking that you always have to work for someone else and take advantage of them.
Awesome post, and I concur. Entrepreneurs, innovators and small, independent businesses are a huge part of American history-here's to hoping they continue to make a comeback. Like you said, internet affords even more options, too. I know not everyone is cut out for entrepreneur or self-employed, but it's definitely worth mentioning to keep the idea circulating!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Idaho
836 posts, read 1,457,878 times
Reputation: 1554
I've lived all over the country and been stationed overseas; one thing I found alluring about Maine is how few of you I've met elsewhere.

I figured you must just stay in Maine.

My travels in your beautiful state haven't done it justice so I hope to join you longer term this summer.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:28 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top