U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-25-2013, 01:54 PM
 
6 posts, read 17,856 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi all,

I currently live in NYC and am getting my Masters to teach High School Biology (finished next Spring - I know I'll need to take the Praxis to get my certificate in Maine). I also know about the three area high schools in Portland, and that it often takes a lot of legwork to get a full-time teaching position anywhere. Does anyone on this forum work in education in Portland? Is there a chance for turnover for science teachers in the Portland area - the job listings are very scarce online, but again I know often the jobs don't post online.

There is no specific reason for my wanting to live in Portland other than the fact that I LOVE it there! Perhaps not the best reason to pick up and move somewhere by oneself, but I don't want to stay in NYC any longer and Portland is my dream city. Is it a fairly easy place to meet young-ish people? I am a single 27 year old girl who basically doesn't know anyone in the city - if there are friends to be made, I make them easily, but wonder if I'm in a decent age situation for the Portland area.

Any answers to these fairly specific questions would be much appreciated!
Love you, CD Forum!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2013, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Nashua area, NH
278 posts, read 578,532 times
Reputation: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ettf08 View Post
Hi all...

There is no specific reason for my wanting to live in Portland other than the fact that I LOVE it there! Perhaps not the best reason to pick up and move somewhere by oneself, but I don't want to stay in NYC any longer and Portland is my dream city. Is it a fairly easy place to meet young-ish people? I am a single 27 year old girl who basically doesn't know anyone in the city - if there are friends to be made, I make them easily, but wonder if I'm in a decent age situation for the Portland area.

Any answers to these fairly specific questions would be much appreciated!
Love you, CD Forum!
I can't answer your questions about prospects of working as a teacher in Portland, but I can tell you that Portland is a great little city. People in Maine can be reserved however, if like you say you can make friends easily you would do fine in Portland. We love Portland, and I was born and raised on Long Island, NY.

Follow your dream!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2013, 01:03 PM
 
2,410 posts, read 5,070,040 times
Reputation: 1882
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddei63 View Post
I can't answer your questions about prospects of working as a teacher in Portland, but I can tell you that Portland is a great little city. People in Maine can be reserved however, if like you say you can make friends easily you would do fine in Portland. We love Portland, and I was born and raised on Long Island, NY.

Follow your dream!
Looks like you are on your way to NH, according to your info. New job?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2013, 01:14 PM
 
2,410 posts, read 5,070,040 times
Reputation: 1882
Quote:
Originally Posted by ettf08 View Post
Hi all,

I currently live in NYC and am getting my Masters to teach High School Biology (finished next Spring - I know I'll need to take the Praxis to get my certificate in Maine). I also know about the three area high schools in Portland, and that it often takes a lot of legwork to get a full-time teaching position anywhere. Does anyone on this forum work in education in Portland? Is there a chance for turnover for science teachers in the Portland area - the job listings are very scarce online, but again I know often the jobs don't post online.

There is no specific reason for my wanting to live in Portland other than the fact that I LOVE it there! Perhaps not the best reason to pick up and move somewhere by oneself, but I don't want to stay in NYC any longer and Portland is my dream city. Is it a fairly easy place to meet young-ish people? I am a single 27 year old girl who basically doesn't know anyone in the city - if there are friends to be made, I make them easily, but wonder if I'm in a decent age situation for the Portland area.

Any answers to these fairly specific questions would be much appreciated!
Love you, CD Forum!
You may want to consider what your priorities are at this point. Teaching jobs are hard to come by in a lot of places, and easier in others with growing populations (Florida, Texas, AZ, etc). These may not be your cup of tea, but subbing in Portland schools for low wages (while waiting for a job to open up -- if it ever does) and having to pay for expensive health ins out of pocket (new law 2014) will be tough unless you have a lot of cash saved up. Rents are also high. You'll need to think whether being in a great little place without a job in your field is more important than getting a job in your field first before moving, even if it's not your first choice. In addition, there are likely people already subbing or working part time in Portland waiting in line for a chance to apply for a full time hs bio teaching job. Competition may be tough even if something opened up in the near future.

I know several of the student teachers in this area (SE MI) are taking jobs in Texas because that's where the population growth is and therefore more students, more schools, more jobs. They wanted to stay here, but that's not an option. Like ME, MI does not have a growing population of school-age children. There are other cities with growing populations with a lot to offer, such as Kansas City. The suburban districts (Olathe, Blue Springs, for ex) are growing by leaps and bounds. It's cheaper to live there and KC has a lot to offer young people with gentrification of some interesting urban areas of the city. Something to think about.

If I were you, looking back and just starting out, I would start with a job first and then move, even if it means to a place not at the top of your list. Employment is very tough now, and securing a job in your field would be important for your financial security and future employment prospects in education. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

I just went to schoolspring.com and took a quick look, and found 74 full time high school teaching jobs in biology available right now, many in New England. Might be worth checking out.

Last edited by xz2y; 06-02-2013 at 01:30 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2013, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Gorham, Maine
1,910 posts, read 4,625,612 times
Reputation: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddei63 View Post
I can't answer your questions about prospects of working as a teacher in Portland, but I can tell you that Portland is a great little city. People in Maine can be reserved however, if like you say you can make friends easily you would do fine in Portland. We love Portland, and I was born and raised on Long Island, NY.

Follow your dream!
Wow, me too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2013, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Nashua area, NH
278 posts, read 578,532 times
Reputation: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Looks like you are on your way to NH, according to your info. New job?
Wife's new job. We would prefer to stay, but the job was too good to pass up. We will be moving at the end of the month.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2013, 05:11 PM
 
2,410 posts, read 5,070,040 times
Reputation: 1882
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddei63 View Post
Wife's new job. We would prefer to stay, but the job was too good to pass up. We will be moving at the end of the month.
Congrats to your wife and good luck with your move! Never fun.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2013, 08:00 PM
 
6 posts, read 17,856 times
Reputation: 12
Thank you so much, everyone! I am still very much up in the air, but in my heart I still so want to live in Maine. Despite the very good suggestion, I just can't ever live in the South (TX, FL, AZ, etc), even if that is where the jobs are; it's just not where I can see myself ever being happy. So, for now, it's looking like possibly being minimally employed in Southern Maine for a (-n unfortunately extended?) period of time. Again, thank everyone so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 AM
 
Location: South Portland, Maine
2,356 posts, read 5,229,388 times
Reputation: 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ettf08 View Post
Hi all,

I currently live in NYC and am getting my Masters to teach High School Biology (finished next Spring - I know I'll need to take the Praxis to get my certificate in Maine). I also know about the three area high schools in Portland, and that it often takes a lot of legwork to get a full-time teaching position anywhere. Does anyone on this forum work in education in Portland? Is there a chance for turnover for science teachers in the Portland area - the job listings are very scarce online, but again I know often the jobs don't post online.

There is no specific reason for my wanting to live in Portland other than the fact that I LOVE it there! Perhaps not the best reason to pick up and move somewhere by oneself, but I don't want to stay in NYC any longer and Portland is my dream city. Is it a fairly easy place to meet young-ish people? I am a single 27 year old girl who basically doesn't know anyone in the city - if there are friends to be made, I make them easily, but wonder if I'm in a decent age situation for the Portland area.

Any answers to these fairly specific questions would be much appreciated!
Love you, CD Forum!
Portland is a great city and its obvious why anyone would want to come here. You should have no problem meeting people here. If you want to be a teacher this is not something your probably thinking of considering your only 27 but their retirement (state retirement) is pretty bad. NH has a much better retirement plan and so does Mass.. Both offer places like Portland you could call home..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:27 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top