U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 03:34 PM

66 posts, read 103,672 times

Advertisements

Hi there.
I've always wanted to visit Maine (in the summer, of course) and I have the opportunity to go there for work. I am going to be working in Portland the week of 7/8 so I thought I would take advantage of the company paying for my airfare and come in earlier. So, I'm dragging along my sister and we're coming in on 7/4.

I want to spend a day checking out the city, but I have always really wanted to see the Rockland/Camden area. (Blame HGTV because they did a "dream home" there and I fell in love with the area from seeing it when they were promoting the dream home.)

So, is there a nice area halfway between the Portland and Camden where I might find a decent hotel or B&B at a decent price? Or is it a vast undeveloped area between the two?

Also, any suggestions on what we should see and do in our whirlwind tour? Suggestions for what to do on the night of the 4th would also be so appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 08:39 PM

54 posts, read 76,539 times
Watch the fireworks in Portland. There are a lot of boats that go out in the harbor you can watch the fireworks from. They launch the fireworks from the Eastern Prom and it is a pretty decent show the last few years.

You can get to Camden and back in a day easy. If you are looking for a "Maine" type town to spend the night at the halfway point, look into Boothbay Harbor. As a tourist it is what you are looking for.

Portland is a walk-able town that offers a great time that you could easily waste a few days shopping and eating and drinking at without ever needing a taxi. Between the fireworks and your trip to Camden I am sure Portland can fill the rest of your days with enough to pass the days.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:56 AM

506 posts, read 585,024 times
I second the choice of Boothbay Harbor as a halfway point to stay if you choose to do so. Boothbay Harbor is one of the few coastal towns in Maine that both locals AND tourists love.......that should tell you something.

Also while in Portland........make sure to take a ride on the Casco Bay Ferry.........at least go out to Peaks Island where you can explore the rocky shore, take a bike ride or walk around the island. There are many scheduled trips though out the day so you don't have to set aside more than a couple of hours to do this........fantastic views of the city, islands and shore!

Old 06-14-2013, 12:44 PM

404 posts, read 695,708 times
Boothbay Harbor is a good suggestion and I think you'll like it. I'm not sure what they do for 7/4 you might want to check their chamber of commerce web site.

If your flying into portland and spending that day here, Portland has a big fireworks display at the eastern promade, it s a big hill over looking the water at the eastern end of congress st. I'll warn you its crowded, but the fireworks are big and the location beautiful. but crowded for maine. The boat suggestion is a good one, I did that last year, a number of boats leave from the tourist dock on commercial street near demillos, you might even be able to buy a ticket the day of, they were available last year. check out portland chanber of commerce site or tourist bureau.
There is also a fireworks display up in freeport near LL bean near the highschool. its on your way out to booth bay.

My guts telling me, get a hotel or B & B in boothbay and see the fireworks there. not recommending it (as I've never been) but some place like this Ocean Point Inn - Oceanfront Inn, Boothbay Harbor, Maine - Special Events

There is also Damariscotta, I hear they have a funky 4th parade http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/05/us/05parade.html?_r=0

Good luck and have fun!

Old 06-15-2013, 09:25 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,228,229 times
Stay in Portland and rent a car or something and drive to Camden for the day.. There are many scenic places to go but you really want to see Camden and I don't blame you. Its an easy drive and you can see all there is in one day and then come back to Portland. Make sure you either hike (or drive) up mt Battie when in Camden, it is one of the best views in Maine. Stay in the old port (fore, exchange, middle street areas) and you can walk to almost anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area