U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 10:54 AM

12 posts, read 18,566 times

Advertisements

We are visiting from Arizona for 3 days later this month and want to experience seafood eating at its best. We subscribe to Down East magazine and it appears from all the issues we've read that there are a gazillion great restaurants in Portland. We aren't looking for something that will break the bank, but are wondering if any of the locals can recommend casual seafood dining. We just watched an episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and it featured a place called The Porthole. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 04:34 PM

40,152 posts, read 19,581,397 times
If I were back in Portland.....I would definitely give Susan's Fish and chips a try. All the reviews rave about it. It is a fry shack diner type place from what I can tell......and the portions, freshness, no nonsense menu looks fantastic. Susan's Fish-n-Chips - Welcome This is not a fine dining establishment and it isn't right down town on the waterfront.....but I would definitely give it a try.....probably for a fisherman's platter type sampler of fried seafood. The reviews also rave about the cole slaw and fries.

I hope that you go and write your reaction.....It sounds wonderful to me. (Actually sounds like a Diners and Dives type place. )

Old 09-13-2013, 07:42 AM

506 posts, read 584,978 times
If you aren't looking for something that will break the bank.......you just excluded a lot of Portland restaurants.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post
If you aren't looking for something that will break the bank.......you just excluded a lot of Portland restaurants.
Agreed about the down town restaurants serving sea food.......but the one I gave the link to......has very reasonable prices ...... go to the link. It looks wonderful. It got a good review by the food critic in the Portland paper too.

All up and down the coast.....prices are high....especially during tourist seasons.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:52 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,668,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Agreed about the down town restaurants serving sea food.......but the one I gave the link to......has very reasonable prices ...... go to the link. It looks wonderful. It got a good review by the food critic in the Portland paper too.

All up and down the coast.....prices are high....especially during tourist seasons.
The seafood "shacks" are usually the best places to go to get a clam or shrimp basket. They have lower prices, and tipping is not expected, since it is just a take-out place.

If you want an "authentic" feel, similar to what we natives would get, those types of places are it.

If you want lobster, however, you'll be stuck going to a sit-down place. As I'm not too fond of the bugs, I can't really recommend anywhere to eat them. But seeing that the method of preparation is the same no matter where you go (you take your live lobster and boil it), I can't imagine it tasting any differently from place to place.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:42 AM

The Hannaford supermarkets will cook the lobster for you free of charge (for the cooking). Then pack it in a bag and away you go. Lobster in sit-down restaurants is expensive......I would rather eat it at home or at a picnic table in a park.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:45 AM

843 posts, read 1,005,592 times
The Porthole episode was probably a re-run from two years ago. Since then it was closed down because of rat infestation. It has since been reconstructed and reopened. We ate there before it closed (and after watching triple D) and were very disappointed. As a tourist, we enjoyed Becky's Diner (be prepared to wait) and Bintliff's for breakfast/lunch. We have eaten at Fore and Grace for dinner (both of which were excellent, but expensive). Gritty McDuffs was a pretty good lunch place. I've heard, but not tried, that the Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth is pretty good.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:52 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,227,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ4NE View Post
We are visiting from Arizona for 3 days later this month and want to experience seafood eating at its best. We subscribe to Down East magazine and it appears from all the issues we've read that there are a gazillion great restaurants in Portland. We aren't looking for something that will break the bank, but are wondering if any of the locals can recommend casual seafood dining. We just watched an episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and it featured a place called The Porthole. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
What kind of seafood do you want?

Lobster is the easiest thing to make and hard to screw up for any restaurant but if your looking for something special let me know and I can point you in the right direction

Old 09-14-2013, 06:11 PM

12 posts, read 18,566 times
Thank you all for the recommendations. We will explore all of them. FLYCESSNA: clam baskets, shrimp baskets, perhaps something like Miller's Lobster in Spruce Head. We've spent more time around Camden area in our 24 straight years of vacationing in Maine from Arizona, but not once in Portland, thus our unfamiliarity. We were hoping to eat somewhere on the waterfront, but "IHEARTMAINE" response likely makes anything less than breaking-the-bank hard, if not impossible, to find. Oh, well. We only get to Maine once a year...

Old 09-15-2013, 03:28 PM

557 posts, read 744,538 times
Sillys, been there twice in the past few weeks and enjoyed it each time. Is not expensive either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area