U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 09:12 PM

404 posts, read 695,708 times

Advertisements

I'm glad you found the free spots on commercial..but they are hard to come by unless you get in early.
There are also spots early along the side of Park & high street and another place is a bit of a walk but on federal street over by India St.

I realize your working a temp job, but thought I'd explain that most employers in the old port pay for a monthly parking spot for their employees or pay a portion of it. However many of the shops don't. But oddly the most of the property leases in the old port come with 1 some times 2 parking places along with the rent. SO the owners get free parking, min wage employees don't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 08:25 AM

34 posts, read 163,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
Thanks everyone.

I am doing the thing where I'm moving my car all the time. Yesterday I did park over at Commercial. I've had 2 tickets for "feeding the meter". Nobody in Portland wants to give quarters.

What a 'business-unfriendly' environment. I'm gonna build a garage and charge $3 per day, and it will be full all the time.

can't help, but get rolls of quarters at a bank. $10/roll

Old 10-01-2013, 09:25 AM

678 posts, read 1,163,422 times
Did a new company buy up and start managing the parking garages in Portland, or something? I was shocked at how expensive they were the last time I visited. Until quite recently, the garages - centrally located garages like the one of Fore Street - were 50 cents an hour! You can still pay 75 cents an hour for the central garage in Portsmouth, NH. But the Portland prices are bordering on Boston-level.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:15 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,929,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
Did a new company buy up and start managing the parking garages in Portland, or something? I was shocked at how expensive they were the last time I visited. Until quite recently, the garages - centrally located garages like the one of Fore Street - were 50 cents an hour! You can still pay 75 cents an hour for the central garage in Portsmouth, NH. But the Portland prices are bordering on Boston-level.
Yes, that's correct! You know what, I parked for the day, and not even the full day at that Fore St. garage, and it cost me $30!!!!

It feels like a monopoly, or price fixing or something. Who is the Mayor of Portland, I'm gonna write to him/her?

Old 10-02-2013, 06:26 PM

404 posts, read 695,708 times
I agree the prices are truely outrageous there is no arguing, but I promise the mayor know the price, since a few of the lots are city owned. Fore st garage is the most expensive in the old port. Its right across the street from my office, but my company pays for the garage up at temple at a monthly fee of $130.

Seriously the fisherman's warf is $10 a day and basically in the same location as fore just directly across on commercial st. Yes its open air and yes seaguls will crap on your car but $10 is a bit more reasonable compared to $30.

Sadly the 2 hotels going are build on what used to be parking lots, so there are even fewer in town!

Old 10-05-2013, 01:19 PM

512 posts, read 895,403 times
Out of towner here... But i cant help but post my urban planner opinion. I have been to Portland and Loved it.

Portland is an old city with historic buildings and narrow streets. I guess if parking costs $30 a day its in demand (market rate). Which is good because it means people want to be in the city. A city with cheap/free daily on street parking is probably going down the tubes. I read that there are some cheaper lots and garages but a little bit of a walk from the center of town. thats good. Its good there is a place to park somewhere within walking distance. Prime on street parking or prime garage parking should be market rate. It keeps those spaces turning over throughout the day. Giving more people a chance to park. High parking costs could also induce less driving and more transit usage. Leading to fewer traffic jams, better air quality, and the need to store fewer cars. This creates a positive feedback loop which will lead to more transit, more density, more things to do and see and a better overall quality of life. High cost parking is a market rate solution that leads to a better city.

To the OP. Sorry you have walk further but its for a good cause..

Further reading
"High Cost of Free Parking"
"The Geography of Nowhere"

Old 10-06-2013, 06:24 AM

136 posts, read 230,569 times
Sometimes I have to be at the court house for work related reasons. There have been times that I have parked at residential end if Newbury St and crossed Franklin Aterial on foot.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,569 times
I agree that the parking prices have gone thru the roof in the past few years. I had visitors in from out of town and they really wanted to have lunch at The Lobster Company. After stalking the meters for a good 10 minutes, we ended up in a city garage. We were there for just under an hour, and it cost $11! The best part of this story, though, is that we (and several other cars) were held hostage at the exit booth because it was unattended. There was a sign posted that said: Fore Street Parking Garage Attendant using facilities. Will return in a moment. I took a picture because, well, we knew that no one would believe us AND because the time on the ticket reader was visible. Didn't want to pay an overage due to their coverage.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:53 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,067,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capestarfish View Post
I agree that the parking prices have gone thru the roof in the past few years. I had visitors in from out of town and they really wanted to have lunch at The Lobster Company. After stalking the meters for a good 10 minutes, we ended up in a city garage. We were there for just under an hour, and it cost $11! The best part of this story, though, is that we (and several other cars) were held hostage at the exit booth because it was unattended. There was a sign posted that said: Fore Street Parking Garage Attendant using facilities. Will return in a moment. I took a picture because, well, we knew that no one would believe us AND because the time on the ticket reader was visible. Didn't want to pay an overage due to their coverage.
The link to city lots indicate an hourly rate of $1.75.
Parking Division

Is the Fore Street garage city-owned?
Are the rates posted online?

Old 11-06-2013, 11:24 AM

894 posts, read 1,072,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Out of towner here... But i cant help but post my urban planner opinion. I have been to Portland and Loved it.

Portland is an old city with historic buildings and narrow streets. I guess if parking costs $30 a day its in demand (market rate). Which is good because it means people want to be in the city. A city with cheap/free daily on street parking is probably going down the tubes. I read that there are some cheaper lots and garages but a little bit of a walk from the center of town. thats good. Its good there is a place to park somewhere within walking distance. Prime on street parking or prime garage parking should be market rate. It keeps those spaces turning over throughout the day. Giving more people a chance to park. High parking costs could also induce less driving and more transit usage. Leading to fewer traffic jams, better air quality, and the need to store fewer cars. This creates a positive feedback loop which will lead to more transit, more density, more things to do and see and a better overall quality of life. High cost parking is a market rate solution that leads to a better city.

To the OP. Sorry you have walk further but its for a good cause..

Further reading
"High Cost of Free Parking"
"The Geography of Nowhere"

The bolded is ideal, I agree, but it's not the case as far as I can tell. I very rarely see any buses driving around, so it doesn't seem like public transit is much of an option.

Would be great if it was, but I haven't seen much of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area