Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 12:37 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,119 times

Advertisements

Folks, I am really need your help. Where do people park in Portland for any reasonable cost or preferably free???? For all-day parking?

I am temping in an office in the Old Port area, Fore Street, Commercial St., around there. It's a help desk and non-profit, I'm there by myself so there's no one to ask, and they can't subsidize parking.

The first day, I parked in a parking garage. It cost me $30 for the day. The second day, I parked at a metered spot. After 2 hours, I moved my car forward a couple of spots and added more money. I got a $20 ticket for "feeding the meter"! Today, I got a spot that still had money on it, and added more.

This is just not sustainable. Portland should be ashamed. Not 'business-friendly' despite what the governor says!

This is the exact reason I never attend First Friday Art Walk anymore. Parking in Portland is just an expensive hassle.

Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 06:47 PM

502 posts, read 1,735,767 times
Sorry, but I literally laughed out loud at this post. Portland is considered to be NOT business friendly by many people, and parking is a major issue. I avoid downtown at all cost due to the expense of parking. I haven't been to hockey game, baseball game, civic center event, or many restaurants because of the hassle of parking in many years.

Honestly, if I had to work in-town and parking wasn't covered, I would try to find a spot outside of down town and take a bus in. Not sure bus route, but it can be looked up easy enough.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:41 AM

54 posts, read 85,065 times
Just be prepared to walk at least 1/2 mile and I am sure you can find something free. You are not going to find anything within a few blocks of your area very easily.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:59 AM

506 posts, read 683,819 times
Why does Portland think that it is San Francisco or Boston????

Old 09-18-2013, 08:09 PM

^ ^ IHeartMaine, I know, right?

Actually, I can find cheaper parking in Boston or Manhattan. However, that's kind of a long walk.

Oh well, guess I have to lump it.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:13 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,469 times
Aren't there some lots in Portland that charge around $5 to $8 for a whole day? I know I've seen them when I've been walking around.

Although the last time I was there, I just parked in Maine General's garage and walked. They don't charge hospital visitors, and they don't check to see whom you're "visiting."

Old 09-19-2013, 10:22 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,273 times
After a brief google search I found this:

Custom House Parking Garage - MHR Management LLC - Portland Maine ME

It says you can buy a monthly parking pass for this company's parking garages for $135/month (there are others on the left sidebar).

Assuming you use it at least 20 times (5 business days for 4 weeks) that comes out to just $6.75/day.

If you use it more than 20 times a month then the price per day is obviously lower, all the way down to $4.35/day if you use it every single day during a 31-day month.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:10 PM

234 posts, read 360,120 times
Check out Top of Old Port. Last I checked it was $85 a month, though it isn't covered parking.

I live in Portland and my car generally doesn't leave my driveway unless I'm leaving Portland. I have two legs and Portland is a great walkable city. Obviously that doesn't do much good if you are coming from somewhere else.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:43 AM

404 posts, read 777,841 times
You have to get in by 7am and then there are free spots on commercial by gmri & across from new hotel. There is also a lot on commercial $10 a day. Over by Portland lobster co . Sorry other than that this won't help u but meters are from 9am till6pm after 6pm all meters are free.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:36 AM

Thanks everyone.

I am doing the thing where I'm moving my car all the time. Yesterday I did park over at Commercial. I've had 2 tickets for "feeding the meter". Nobody in Portland wants to give quarters.

What a 'business-unfriendly' environment. I'm gonna build a garage and charge $3 per day, and it will be full all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area