Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 07:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,667 times

Advertisements

With the increase in sales tax from 5 per cents to5.5 and an outrageous meals and lodging to Eight percent I have finally had enough of this state.

I can understand why this state attracts people with the clean air and beautiful summer and no crime but the greater portland area feels like a year round tourist trap. I have been here 7 years and the best food deals are Susan's and subway. That's it. I saw a two lobster dinner for 25$. Lobster is 2.99 off the boat...

I can't afford the high cost of living combined with anemic economy.

I moved here because I have heard about the great art and music scene.

I can't afford it here anymore. Good luck everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 02:44 PM

565 posts, read 935,249 times
So you can't afford to go out to eat all the time for seafood? Do you expect to go out to eat daily and live affordably? Because it doesn't really matter where you live, if you eat out all the time, its going to be expensive.

Maine is alot cheaper to live in than southern New England.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:45 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,560,859 times
CT Sales tax is 6.35%. We used to do that tax on the newspapers here, too. Didn't go over very well, as one would imagine.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:01 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,714 times
On a $100 purchase, the 1/2 cent increase in sales tax will cost you 50 cents. That's enough to drive you out of Maine? Where did you go when gasoline went up 50 cents a gallon?

Old 10-10-2013, 11:47 AM

404 posts, read 777,841 times
where are you going to find under 5.5 cents sales tax? The sales tax in Alabama where I moved here from was 8 cents and that was even on food items!
The point is prices and taxes have gone up everywhere....but best of luck finding a place that makes you happy.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:53 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Buy the lobsters off the boat and cook 'em yourself. Other posters are correct. There are plenty of other states with a 7+% sales tax....some municipalities add to the state sales tax rate Download State Sales Tax Rates | TaxRates.com

Daily Fuel Gauge Report--national, state and local average prices for gasoline, diesel and E-85.

One of the other threads mentions how poor Maine is with MD, PA, and VA being so much richer. I have friends in MD and I would seriously advise you to do your cost-of-living homework before moving there. I think you are like so many other wanna move to Maine people. They don't do enough research in advance, they are caught up in the romanticism of the seaside villages, the gorgeous summer, they don't visit during all four seasons, and they have unrealistic expectations--fantasy expectations in many cases.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:55 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,273 times
While many of you are right, that Maine's sales tax is generally lower than other states (although only slightly, most states are 6%, so really not much of a difference), don't forget that Maine does have one of the highest income taxes in the country. Combined sales + income = Maine is one of the worst states for taxes (again, mostly due to income tax), so I think the OP has a right to complain about taxes going up even further.

Although, I'm curious about the 8% he mentions for "food / lodging". I thought it was 10%...??

Old 10-26-2013, 03:52 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
While many of you are right, that Maine's sales tax is generally lower than other states (although only slightly, most states are 6%, so really not much of a difference), don't forget that Maine does have one of the highest income taxes in the country. Combined sales + income = Maine is one of the worst states for taxes (again, mostly due to income tax), so I think the OP has a right to complain about taxes going up even further.

Although, I'm curious about the 8% he mentions for "food / lodging". I thought it was 10%...??
"...a right to complain?" Sure anyone can complain about anything, but what good will it do? If you want change, there must be action. Write to the lawmakers if you think it will change anything for the better (or run for office). My thought was why is the OP eating out so much and staying in a motel and then complaining about the taxes. Gotta weigh your individual likes and dislikes and set priorities. Maine isn't a one size fits all kinda place...oh yeah I almost forgot to complain about property taxes going up....and homeowners' insurance going up....and..... and ......

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxe...our-state.aspx

http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/ind_inc.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area